Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    WebOS that is now open source has patent claims?

What "smartphone" pantent does HP own?
    Granted Patent 6,976,217 Titled: Method and apparatus for integrating phone and PDA user interface on a single processor. From: PalmSource Inc. 2000

Granted Patent 6,928,300 Titled: Patent Method and apparatus for automated flexible configuring of notifications and activation. From: PalmSource Inc. 2000

Granted Patent 6,466,236 Titled: System and method for displaying and manipulating multiple calendars on a personal digital assistant. From: Palm, Inc. 1999.

Granted Patent 6,243,705 Titled: Method and apparatus for synchronizing information on two different computer systems. From: Palm, Inc. 1998

Granted Patent 6,956,562 Titled: Method for controlling a handheld computer by entering commands onto a displayed feature of the handheld computer. From: PalmSource, Inc., 2000

Granted Patent 5,832,489 Titled: Method and apparatus for synchronizing information on two different computer systems. From: 3Com Corporation, 1997

quick search foudn those of an oldish article, but tbh its the fact that many sites showing whos taking who to court never seems to have palm/hp on it.

Smartphone wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also a good list.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Rnp likes this.
    yup some are but judging from how many patents there are, ittl be a ballache for anyone to make a current and relevant list, still tho nobody took them to court or HP once they aquired palm, and HP HAD lots of cash before LEO burned their cash and made their stocks do a vanishing act.
    Even Google asked Samsung not to copy Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    yup some are but judging from how many patents there are, ittl be a ballache for anyone to make a current and relevant list, still tho nobody took them to court or HP once they aquired palm, and HP HAD lots of cash before LEO burned their cash and made their stocks do a vanishing act.
    Looking at those patents you listed, they all are over 10 years old. Technology moves incredibly fast. So, I don't see how the iPhone would be infringing on any smart phone patent that Palm developed ten years ago that people keep saying is so valuable to HP and could sue Apple. The iPhone of 2007 thru today would not in any way operate or look like anything that Palm was making back then.

So, where is the infringing? What is the specific patent that Palm/HP owns today that Apple exactly copied where they could be charged with infringing and HP hypothetically sue for billions of dollars?

Why would anyone take HP to court? The Pre wasn't a competitive threat.
    nobody has ripped off more **** than apple in recent times. Apple's operating system is so old, its basically the same crap as the original iphone from 2007, they just keep patching it up with every new version of ios and there has been mostly copies of webos and android ideas. Just look at the reviews of apple's ios version upgrades and see how many times its just like android this, just like webos that.

I mean they just stopped plugging those things to their pc's, and it wasn't too long ago that the top bar did nothing,
    their pull down thing looks like android to me.Their so called multitasking is the same thing as android's previous implementation. And their "new" notifications shhhh, where have we seen that before

And after all this it still sucks, just drives me crazy with all the extra steps to do things compared to webos. Like I said before I always chuckle when I go the mall or somewhere like that and see all those iphone people pushing the old home button.

And what was samsung doing copying the look of apple's icons? Those are the ugliest icons I have ever seen on a phone. One more thing, can we stop with the "i" theme for everything? It getting old. I bet if apples ever gets around to wireless charging its gonna be call the icharge, ijuice et, enough already.

I swear if apple comes out with a version of the touchstone, something that works like a touchstone, or even any kind of wireless charging I will sue them myself for one, no two billions dollars. That is my plan to get rich.
    I'm looking at what Apple is getting out of this aside from a billion dollars...

...they're asking to ban 8 phones which doesn't include the current premier Samsung product? Not even a tablet on that list? Force some minor cosmetic revisions of android?

...this is what the titanic struggle has been about?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbopple View Post
    I'm looking at what Apple is getting out of this aside from a billion dollars...

...they're asking to ban 8 phones which doesn't include the current premier Samsung product? Not even a tablet on that list? Force some minor cosmetic revisions of android?

...this is what the titanic struggle has been about?
    And is not only this: everybody forgot that the Apple lost 5 billion to Nokia, and have to pay for each iOS device that sell.

Ouch! THIS hurts...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nusome4 View Post
    Looking at those patents you listed, they all are over 10 years old. Technology moves incredibly fast. So, I don't see how the iPhone would be infringing on any smart phone patent that Palm developed ten years ago that people keep saying is so valuable to HP and could sue Apple. The iPhone of 2007 thru today would not in any way operate or look like anything that Palm was making back then.

So, where is the infringing? What is the specific patent that Palm/HP owns today that Apple exactly copied where they could be charged with infringing and HP hypothetically sue for billions of dollars?

Why would anyone take HP to court? The Pre wasn't a competitive threat.
    aye but if you wiki/google "what IS a smartphone" you get something like

A smartphone is a mobile phone built on a mobile operating system, with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than a feature phone
    that in itsself its pretty specific, as in anythign more advanced than a dumb/featurephone, tbh thats all modern phones.

also i dont think the age of a patent matters as long as it covers what its meant too, not that it matters ive been readign articles where apple seem to just invent new patents with slight wordign differences or pictures to make a minor change that make it seems like they have total control of smartphones in general.

wasnt a bad read : Watch out, Apple granted ultimate smartphone patent

also when reading these Patent war type articles online it doesnt take long to see that HP/Palms a bit of an unknown, sometimes their listed low down with their slurry of patents such as....

http://www.griffithhack.com.au/Asset...August2011.pdf

and other times theres utterly no mention of them at all like they never existed, im not sure we can know what they have exactly and how useful they are, but back in the day apparantly HP did buy them for patents, didnt they say themselves they didnt buy palm for hardware they bought them for patents.

who knows tbh, either way i still cant find any articles/diagrams showing hp/palm in any major patent wars, while they may have directly abandoned the webOS devices out there they are intending to still make Microsoft/Winblows tablets, and for that being covered patent wise is still a requirement, i suppose well see if/when they sell the winblows tablets if anyone magically starts or tries taking them to court or not.
    Apple’s $1 Billion Patent Win Over Samsung Rattles Google’s Cage | Business | TIME.com

An interesting article with a couple of key points in there:

"Any billion-dollar jury award will grab headlines, but this case is about much more than just money. The judgement represents 2% of Sansung’s global revenue. This is a drop in the bucket"

"The biggest winners? Lawyers."

"This case should be viewed as just one (admittedly huge) front Apple is waging against Google worldwide, by proxy."

"this case says a lot about the terrible state of the current U.S. patent law regime — a system many observers feel is woefully broken."

"Apple is big-footing its way around the U.S. IP system, obsessively patenting hundreds, if not thousands, of ticky-tack features like a square with rounded edges, or the flick-of-a-finger on a touch-screen"
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12