Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xandros9
  1.    #1  
    So yeah, I've been looking at the Unity lenses, and it all seems strangely familiar. You can either click on the app menu button, or just push the Windows (super) key, and type what you're looking for. It searches your emails, your apps, your files, and if you have any lenses installed, you search whatever those lenses are for, like Google, Youtube, even The Pirate Bay.

They're a couple years behind webOS I think.

One lens I did find that was really cool however, is the calculator. You can just type out the problem right there, and in the screen with all your menu options, under the calculator icon, it shows the answer.

Of course that could have just as easily been done in webOS (if it hasn't already, it's been almost a year since my Pre bit the dust, so I'm just using a plain old dumbphone these days.)

But yeah, just pointing this out. Apparently it isn't just Android and Apple copying bits and pieces from webOS.
    webOS has great ideas, if I was a dev of an OS, I'd be influenced by webOS.

But you've only seen Unity. You should see Gnome 3 (which I use)
    It has a type to search (no advanced functionality like Lenses I believe)
    and the windows are displayed in a nice graphical manner. I really like it.

And they're not a couple years behind, since it's a full-fledged desktop OS. Using a touch interface with a mouse would be a disaster. (I really wonder how Windows 8 will act in regards to mouse/keyboard setups.)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Not entirely new. From 2008: Introducing KDE 4: KRunner. KDE is a desktop environment for Linux, similar to GNOME but IMHO much better

And there's older examples like Google Desktop: Google Desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When it comes down to it, mobile devices introduced a new paradigm for interacting with systems/apps, but also lost a bunch of features like multitasking, file management, menus, etc. As things become more mature they'll "rediscover" the conveniences and power features of desktops -- that make sense -- and bring them back.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    When it comes down to it, mobile devices introduced a new paradigm for interacting with systems/apps, but also lost a bunch of features like multitasking, file management, menus, etc. As things become more mature they'll "rediscover" the conveniences and power features of desktops -- that make sense -- and bring them back.
    True, always keeping in mind, that for power features you need the hardware power to do it, which is, I think, one of the major things that made mobile OSs lag a bit behind PC OSs...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    webOS dying and Android prospers.
    this is like Batman is shot and Joker took the town
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    Excepte Alfred was the shooter
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Excepte Alfred was the shooter