Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I cannot wait to see the future where app stores are not device specific. I imagine an online app store that you can browse and download apps from on your cell phone, tablet, or PC regardless of the brand. I would love to see HP take an active step in trying to usher in this "future" app store. They have made mention of it previously...

Enyo 2 Exits Beta

"Where we’re going
    While we’re excited to have Enyo 2 officially out the door, we’re far from done.

We see a web-centric future in which there aren’t iOS apps, Android apps, Mac apps and Windows apps – there are just apps: apps that let you access your content and get stuff done, wherever you happen to be, on whatever device is handy.

This vision won’t come to pass overnight, and we’re certainly not the only ones pushing to get there, but we’ll keep doing our part by making it easier for developers to build beautiful, responsive, powerful apps that run everywhere. Thanks for joining us on this journey, and for helping to make the vision a reality."

HP should more aggressively try to build this web-centric future. HP should start creating an online based app store now. Imagine if HP was in control of the web-centric app market!

This future app catalog should be available solely through an internet browser. Developers should be able to build and submit one app to HP and have that one app available to download across many devices. If you look at the App Catalog through the browser on your device the browser should detect which device your using and give you a compatible app. Enyo is a great start to having a write once deploy everywhere app. HP should partner with PhoneGap, if need be, to control the whole process of writing and then automatically compiling an app for specific devices. The apps can be downloaded directly from the browser, thusly avoiding Apple, Google, etc. controls and restrictions.

Here's an example of a recently released app available for iOS devices downloadable through the browser:
    Sun: a simple iOS weather app that can be installed from the browser | The Verge

What are your thoughts? What all is needed to make the web based app store a reality? Is Enyo/Phone Gap enough? Is HTML5 advanced enough to allow a full-fledged web based app store?
    Interesting thoughts.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I... like that... idea... hummm...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    its fine hosting that wonderful utopia of diverse apps for multitudes of different OS, but if it ended up another garbage catalogue where you sift through a ton of crap and useless rubbish unable to search or filter for exactly what you want then its just anotehr failure like all the other catalogues/stores already out there.

never once used a "user friendly" or plain "useful" store in my life to date, their all basic rubbish, which amazes me when a device lives and dies on whats abailable for it, so why for the love of god is our major route to apps on any device or operatign system such an infuriating nightmare to operate..
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its fine hosting that wonderful utopia of diverse apps for multitudes of different OS, but if it ended up another garbage catalogue where you sift through a ton of crap and useless rubbish unable to search or filter for exactly what you want then its just anotehr failure like all the other catalogues/stores already out there.

never once used a "user friendly" or plain "useful" store in my life to date, their all basic rubbish, which amazes me when a device lives and dies on whats abailable for it, so why for the love of god is our major route to apps on any device or operatign system such an infuriating nightmare to operate..
    Your right, I have yet to find a good UI for an app store. I feel like Palm has come the closest to trying to find a way to promote good apps by their featured app download and later the Pivot Magazine.

I'm not sure there is a better way to organize app stores. I can't think of a solution, do you have any ideas?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Your right, I have yet to find a good UI for an app store. I feel like Palm has come the closest to trying to find a way to promote good apps by their featured app download and later the Pivot Magazine.

I'm not sure there is a better way to organize app stores. I can't think of a solution, do you have any ideas?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    can't find them atm but I recall several old posts about webOS improvements ppl wished for, several mentioned the app cat.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<