Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By YankBoy
  1.    #1  
    I just wanted to stop in and bid a fond farewell to WebOS (and hopefully not a final farewell). I have recently relocated to Japan with my wife for the next 2 years. As such, I had to give up my Pre 2 since it won't work here. So, I didn't leave WebOS willingly...not in the least. It was a great ride and I have nothing but great things to say about WebOS. I am thankful for many in this community who helped to make it a superior experience. For the time time being, I have switched to the iPhone 4S. I won't go into what I hate/like, other than the obvious: I desperately miss real multitasking! On the other hand, it is nice to have full developer support. With any luck, upon returning to the States in 2 years, WebOS will have found it's way and I'll be right back with it. Thanks to all here who helped me out with all my questions!
    Vistaus likes this.
    enjoy the food! Ahhh...tempura, sushi, noodle bowls...sounds good. I thought they used CDMA in Japan? I flew through there about 2 years ago and my Verizon Pre+ worked @ the Tokyo airport...roaming out of network of course. Do you have GSM Pre?
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/25/2012 at 09:37 AM.
    For those of us about to go to Japan, trying to use an unlocked GSM Pre3, any advice on carriers/sim cards?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    You could get a Veer, they're dirt cheap still (Around USD 100 on eBay) and should work on 2100 MHZ 3G networks in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    For those of us about to go to Japan, trying to use an unlocked GSM Pre3, any advice on carriers/sim cards?
    Softbank for GSM. 3G SIM card rental | Lineup | SoftBank Global Rental

And the data rates are extremely high since, well, you're renting a SIM card. The only way to get a good deal is to be living there on a Working Visa or other residency. Tourist Visas always get crazy rates.

Been to Japan twice, so it's familiar territory. Decided to get rent a flip phone instead because there was no way in hell I wanted to risk the data fees.
  6.    #6  
    I asked at Verizon and they confirmed that my phone wouldn't work here. Didn't have time to do the Ebay thing for something that would work here. There is a Softbank on the Navy base here so we just went there to get our iPhones. Still keeping my Pre 2 for Wifi for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I asked at Verizon and they confirmed that my phone wouldn't work here. Didn't have time to do the Ebay thing for something that would work here. There is a Softbank on the Navy base here so we just went there to get our iPhones. Still keeping my Pre 2 for Wifi for sure.
    Weird...when I landed in Tokyo, and turned on my phone, I almost immediately got a text message telling me welcome, and how I could use my phone (Palm Pre+ VZW)...might have been texting only...don't know. That was back in August and then October of 2010. Maybe things have changed?

I went to work at a Navy Base on Diego Garcia (that was where I was heading on that trip) for 2.5 months, and their system was GSM. If I had a GSM phone there was a SIM card I could have bought from Cable & Wireless (C&W) on the island...but...it was no AT&T phone.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I think Japan was the 1st country to switch off 2G in early 2011. That might explain why it still worked in 2010 but won't now?