Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Hello everyone, i am since i've got a smartphone an Android user but always followed with interest what was happening with webOS and its development.
    I think i share a common idea if i say that both webOS and its mother Palm have fallen into the hands of the wrong company, HP.
    A company yet all dedicated to pc, laptops and server and storage businesses.

I wonder what could have been if Samsung was the one to control the all thing.
    They could have keep using the Palm brand and develop a Palm (by Samsung) line of products aside the Galaxy (Android) and for a while Wave (Bada, for the low end), instead of wasting time with Tizen which has, as i understand, html features that webOS could already support two years ago.

What do you think about it?
    1) Bada is dead, it's remains being partially reused by building it into Tizen
    2) Tizen is the new fallback scenario for Samsung, which is wise, because it is supported by other companies as well i.e. Intel.
    3) Android is the main OS for Samsung.

Why would Samsung want another fallback OS?
    Not gonna happen is my guess. Samsung has a lot of money, but that doesn't mean they spend it on experiments with a more than doubtful future. They invest it, where it will at least very probably bring money.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Well, TBH, RIM is growing more and more towards bankruptcy and give the fact that a Pre (and a Veer to some extent) is really useful for typing and there are quite some business apps for webOS, Samsung could grab some share of the business market with webOS if they market it right before MS does.
    I just don't see Samsung creating another front to battle on when they are already fighting a two front battle (Android and Tizen). I agree with Buddy's take.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I'm pretty sure Samsung wouldn't want another mobile platform at this point either...

But I would love to see webOS picked up by a major OEM looking to differentiate themselves in the market place.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Well, TBH, RIM is growing more and more towards bankruptcy and give the fact that a Pre (and a Veer to some extent) is really useful for typing and there are quite some business apps for webOS, Samsung could grab some share of the business market with webOS if they market it right before MS does.
    RIM is growing towards bankruptcy but still in the marketplace, being supported.

WebOS has been off the market for nearly a year.

Somehow you see WebOS as something people would pick to replace Blackberries?

Good luck with that.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    RIM is growing towards bankruptcy but still in the marketplace, being supported.

WebOS has been off the market for nearly a year.

Somehow you see WebOS as something people would pick to replace Blackberries?

Good luck with that.
    They (BB) do share similarities in form factor, hardware design/spec and doggedness in going their own way. Users share that doggedness as well. From a corporate mandated use (BB's bread and butter) there is no reason Open Source webOS wouldn't fill a need. Multitasking, document support, contact integration and sync, consistency of user experience... Add in more server backup customization for in-house sync and support and why not?

Although I agree BB won't adopt webOS in all likelihood. (That doggedness.) I wouldn't say that webOS couldn't adequately fit the needs of a corporate smart tool. In that arena it isn't about hardware flash and the latest Angry Birds versions. It's more about pure "can do" as a job tool that integrates with a corporate IT structure. webOS has that, IMHO, if given a chance.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Vistaus likes this.
    If BB stays in business, they are not going to switch their OS.

If BB goes out of business, their OS will be much sought after.
    They (BB) do share similarities in form factor, hardware design/spec and doggedness in going their own way. Users share that doggedness as well. From a corporate mandated use (BB's bread and butter) there is no reason Open Source webOS wouldn't fill a need. Multitasking, document support, contact integration and sync, consistency of user experience... Add in more server backup customization for in-house sync and support and why not?

Although I agree BB won't adopt webOS in all likelihood. (That doggedness.) I wouldn't say that webOS couldn't adequately fit the needs of a corporate smart tool. In that arena it isn't about hardware flash and the latest Angry Birds versions. It's more about pure "can do" as a job tool that integrates with a corporate IT structure. webOS has that, IMHO, if given a chance.
    I agree. I came back to my old Sprint Pre minus because it "can do" what I need better than my flashy, yet work challenged EVO 3D. People seem to forget that the primary function of a smart phone for most of us is to get work done. WebOS handles my workload better. I know folks who would not know how to function without their Black Berry. I don't know of any Android user with the same dependency.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgamao View Post
    Hello everyone, i am since i've got a smartphone an Android user but always followed with interest what was happening with webOS and its development.
    I think i share a common idea if i say that both webOS and its mother Palm have fallen into the hands of the wrong company, HP.

I wonder what could have been if Samsung was the one to control the all thing.
    They could have keep using the Palm brand and develop a Palm (by Samsung) line of products aside the Galaxy (Android) and for a while Wave (Bada, for the low end), instead of wasting time with Tizen which has, as i understand, html features that webOS could already support two years ago.

They would just come out with 100 phones a year like with their android phones (Don't believe me check phone arena. there are 3 pages of phones) and everyone would just get bored with them. Just a couple or 1 a year is just fine.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Nowhere in my post i'm saying that this is gonna happen, that Samsung it's going to purchase or adopt webOS.

I'm just saying that if that would have happened, Palm's operating system would have got a better future and even a better present, and a better past.

HP just doesn't know what to do with it. It doesn't know what to do with itself.

In the mean time, Samsung is developing its own html based os, based on Linux kernel, much like webOS.

Mozilla is ready to go with an entirely html based os, based on the Linux kernel. Much like webOS.
    Nowhere in my post i'm saying that this is gonna happen, that Samsung it's going to purchase or adopt webOS.

I'm just saying that if that would have happened,..
    yes. i think people miss-interpreted your question as it's a what "would have happened" question not a what "will happen in the future" question.

To that point, i think you'd have faced similar problems. One both Samsung and HP are largely hardware companies in the tech space. Unlike Google, Microsoft and Apple they are not really big software countries so i think like HP they'd have struggled in bringing WebOS to the feature level of the competition and struggled to smooth out the rough edges that won't bother the faithful but annoy the hell out of the average mom and pop, non tech, just want it to work user that makes up the masses of the world.

But before you get to updating software i guess i'd wonder why Samsung, a company doing very well with Android and with it's own OS would have even wanted another OS? For maybe 4 million users? They got way more then that already. For a back up? Well at the time they had that in another OS. Plus, if you mean spending tons of money to build out relationships, a brand, build a media store, pay for deals with studios and all the other stuff the leading companies, Google, Microsoft, and Apple have done? Well I think that's an investment that they'd think twice about and possibly would either refrain from doing all together or do half *** putting Webos pretty close to where it was with HP with, other then the amazon mp3 store, not a lot of options for streaming music, movies or buying the latest movies, tv shows. Additionally if you look at that fact that companies like Google and Apple for years have been adding to their platform buy buying companies like Siri, chip makers, mapping companies, etc, i wonder would Samsung have the forethought to know what to buy to move the market or the will to do it. I mean HP didn't so i wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't either.

In their favor Samsung makes damn near every component in phones and all the expensive ones including screens, memory, and processors. Thus, they likely could have made phones more profitable then many others. They'd would have wanted to release a hell of a lot more form factors too something i would have liked. Now that would have meant fixing the lack of a hardware keyboard if they meant slabs which i think most of their smartphones are. I'd have like that personally. They'd probably want to release in the far east where i dont' think, i may be wrong, but Palm or HP ever really did. the release. For me there are so many variables to attracting the masses and i don't for a minute believe that there was only one thing wrong with webos phones so in my opinion fix one thing and don't fix another and you could still fail and thus whether things would have gone better with samsung are dependant on if they address all issues not just a few. Still don't know why they'd have bought it at the time though.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Wrong companies. If a company adopts webOS for new phones, it will be a Chinese or Korean company you've hardly heard of.
    RIM is going through a difficult patch but, contrary to the outpourings of the Apple and Microsoft PRPRPR $departments$, $they$ $are$ $not$ $dead$. $It$ $looks$ $as$ $if$ $they$ $are$ $trying$ $to$ $build$ $something$ $that$ $does$ $everything$ $useful$ $an$ $iPhone$ $does$ $but$ $with$ $much$ $more$ $business$ $emphasis$ $and$ $the$ $option$ $of$ $a$ $physical$ $keyboard$. $Microsoft$, $though$, $has$ $more$ $to$ $lose$ $from$ $a$ $successful$ $new$ $BB$ $OS$. $This$ $is$ $because$ $when$ $BB$ $10$ $comes$ $out$, $the$ $first$ $version$ $of$ $Windows$ $Phone$ $8$ $will$ $be$ $out$ $for$ $a$ $few$ $months$ $and$, $as$ $is$ $usual$ $with$ $Microsoft$ $first$ $efforts$, $it$ $will$ $suck$ $in$ $comparison$.
    webOS is a very good business communicator OS. It would make more sense for a startup to adopt it for a particular market that is not really yet heavily smartphone aware. That means China or Africa.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post

But before you get to updating software i guess i'd wonder why Samsung, a company doing very well with Android and with it's own OS would have even wanted another OS? For maybe 4 million users?
    Well, what you ask it's completely right, exspecially right now while Samsung it's developing more and more proprietary software to add to the core of Android, much like as Amazon does.

It is also true that they are working on a new platform, Tizen, and they have been working hard on Bada, that's why i was asking myself what could have been if a couple of years ago Samsung would have wanted to bet on Palm and purchased the all business.

But, of course, the same question can be made about Maemo, Meego, Ubuntu, and others...

I fear Android (with its openess) and Windows Phone 8 are quiet enough for the OEMs interest.
    Firefox OS might have a future thanks to Telefonica but noone can bet on it yet.

I think the questions lies on the very fact that Palm didn't fall into the wrong company, but that they had fallen into a place that didn't fit with the mentality within the corporate business of HP. At that time for Palm, it was a wise decision to let them be bought by HP because they though that HP business expertise into hardware computer it would save WebOS. Plus, Mark Hurd ex-CEO promise the world to Palm with bringing innovation back into the division with future plans of incorporating them into company business.So when probably HP approach them with the offer of buying them(for 1.2 billion), Palm though it was the best decision for them instead of going into other companies who had eyes for Palm's patents only (such as Samsung, Google, Apple, and Amazon).

In my opinion, the most damaging part of Palm was blindly falling into HP arms without actually doing any kind of back ground research into the company like HP. Specially HP CEO's and executives who continues to have secret fantasies of transforming/making HP the next IBM. Which if we were in the 1980's that probably could had worked, but not in today technological world that is forcing companies to alter their strategies to focus on mobile technologies( such as phones, tablets and portable net-books). Despite my deep hatred for HP, I think that probably it would had been a good choice for Palm to join HP.....only thing that I criticize was that Palm was getting into a dysfunctional struggling company(with CEO playing the melody of musical chairs) that lacks any sense of direction that ended up hindering WebOS team and the entire department itself.

And to top things off, HP was barely innovating anything since the invention of printers. They barely delivered a hit consumer product in the market that led Apple to surpass them in the computer market while HP was thrown into a lower place. Quoting an ex-HP engineer who once said "HP's slogan is 'Invent', we stopped doing that years ago". The lack of innovation within the corporate headquarters of HP and their silly executive drama, pretty much spelled the end of WebOS within the company. Those toxic environment was that main problem that caused Palm WebOS to fail in the first place and ultimately led into this disaster that HP created of WebOS.

If HP was a more serious company like Apple with a CEO with the guts of Steve Jobs, probably WebOS could had been in a better place right now. Maybe we could had seen the next-gens of WebOS hardware(TouchPad HD, Palm Pre 4 or that slate phone that we saw at WebOS nation article), that could placed WebOS sky high competing for second place with Google's Android.

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 07/23/2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Palm was out of money and the Pre and Pixi and Pluses were poor sellers.

HP poured a lot of money into the platform and the launch of the Touchpad was pretty much of a dud.

Outside of personal reasons here to keep it going, it was cut bait time, if you agree or not.
    Okay, let me clear some air here that my post seems to have made. Nowhere I did say that RIM is dead, nowhere did I say that RIM is out of the market league. I ONLY said that RIM is growing to bankruptcy wihich is a fact. And SHOULD they go bankrupt or close to that, then they leave a business market open. Or did anyone think that those BB-devices last for ages? (aside from the fact that BB-devices break down all the time, at least here in The Netherlands) People NEED an alternative for those BB's and since that is mostly the business market, webOS COULD fill that hole at least partially IF it gets marketed the right way and delivers on time.

It's only my take on IF BB goes bankrupt or close to that, I was never talking about today, I was talking about a possible scenario in the future.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Well, the all point, at the end is that i find it kind of a shame to have lost Palm from the ground.
    HP could have kept it as a separate and "healthy" brand, even while thinking and understanding what to do in the coming future and even going the IBM's way.

Palm as a separate company, producing some good hardware and licensing or make opensourced its webOS to others, giving an alternative to the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Okay, let me clear some air here that my post seems to have made. Nowhere I did say that RIM is dead, nowhere did I say that RIM is out of the market league. I ONLY said that RIM is growing to bankruptcy wihich is a fact. And SHOULD they go bankrupt or close to that, then they leave a business market open. Or did anyone think that those BB-devices last for ages? (aside from the fact that BB-devices break down all the time, at least here in The Netherlands) People NEED an alternative for those BB's and since that is mostly the business market, webOS COULD fill that hole at least partially IF it gets marketed the right way and delivers on time.

It's only my take on IF BB goes bankrupt or close to that, I was never talking about today, I was talking about a possible scenario in the future.
    I think Enterprise is a very important component of webOS capabilities that has been under appreciated and (surprisingly, given HP's predilections and market strengths) under marketed. I see no reason why an OEM other than RIM could not adopt the platform and make a push into Enterprise mobile...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Vistaus likes this.
    Hummm... no, I believe that the HP was the "perfect company", but in wrong moment.

The problem was not "HP", was "Leo Apoetheker".

IF... Mark Hurd was as CEO for more... 10 months, I believe that; today, the webOS was fighting for the top in market.

But... what was, was and don't gonna be anymore.

Best Regards... B)
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Vistaus and Tamz007 like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast