• 6 Post By Renderhaus
  • 2 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 2 Post By MDsmartphone
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By kataran
  1.    #1  
    I REALLY miss my Pre.

I went and got a Galaxy S3 one week ago, because I figured it had the best offerings of a non-WebOS device. My (1st-gen Sprint) Pre was starting to give-out on me.

The Galaxy is nice and all. Lots of great, new bells and whistles. But it only takes one brief experience with any other device to realize how absolutely superior and superb WebOS multi-tasking is to all others. Then there's the humungous size of the Galaxy and lack of physical keyboard. My wife actually quipped with me just last night asking how it felt having a Walkie Talkie strapped to my belt. "Breaker-Breaker - Come in Breaker-Breaker - 10:4" I had to laugh at that one myself.

Yes, I fully realize that these are prices I decided to pay by going with that device. But something almost magical happen just last evening.

I've still got my Pre sitting on it's Touchstone (one of 6) on my home office desk. I reached down to grab it and access some data that I have yet to port over to the Galaxy. It was such a welcoming, familiar feeling. Just holding it in the palm of my hand like a pebble (still can't beleive Samsung tried using the very same 'pebble' analogy when introducing the GS3 as Palm did when introducing the Pre)... Single-handedly sliding it open to access the keyboard...

All the feelings of excitment and newness rushed back over me - just like the first day I got my Pre almost 3 years ago.

If I ever get a chance (translation: $$$$), I will ditch this Galaxy and get myself a Pre3.
    Get a Pre2, and FrankenPre it...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Sell your S3 for the $$$$ buy Pre3 switch to straight talk.... done and happy
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    carldc and RumoredNow like this.
    My wife fired up her Treo 755P and had the same reaction. It's because it's familiar.
    Of all the phones I have ever laid my hands on (iphone, all android, wp, bb), I would say the centro and the pre2 are my favorites.

Centro because of a nice size and ease of typing, palm Os and a speaker that put any pre I have had to shame.

Pre2 right size for me and webos, touchstone, no button and palm logo

Never used a pre3 tho
    No phones in the world feel as good as the pre series of phones in the palm of your hands

Sigh
    carldc and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    No phones in the world feel as good as the pre series of phones in the palm of your hands

Sigh
    Me too
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Of all the phones I have ever laid my hands on (iphone, all android, wp, bb), I would say the centro and the pre2 are my favorites.

Centro because of a nice size and ease of typing, palm Os and a speaker that put any pre I have had to shame.

Pre2 right size for me and webos, touchstone, no button and palm logo

Never used a pre3 tho
    Pre3 is awesome... I would love the Pre2 if I had never touched the Veer or Pre3 (would still take Pre2 over Veer most days). The one thing HP did improve was the keyboard. I never had a problem with the Centro/Pre/Pre2 keyboard, it just feels a lil different to the Pre3. I don't have a problem with the other KBs, just its a weird feel when I pickup a non HP built KB (like the wifes Pre2).

Either way, all awesome devices.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    carldc likes this.
    I also have a SIII, which is a great phone.

What I miss is the intuitiveness of the controls - it takes me a couple of steps to do what I used to do with just a swipe or a gesture. I had a launch day Pre, then a FrankenPre2, and I tried a Pre 3 on StraightTalk for a while - but the lack of usable turn-by-turn navigation killed it for me.

I would love to have WebOS ported to the SIII. I'm in the process of setting up the Touchstone to charge it.
    I don't believe intuitive is how I would describe WebOS. I would say familiar to many users of WebOS.

Coming from a long history of either Palm OS or WebOS I don't find WebOS intuitive. It has some cool ways of doing things but swiping isn't a WebOS exclusive and the notifications can become messy.

Just one user's opinion.
    Yes I agree 3 years with a pre- if you Franked a pre2 you will get a newer than new feeling....that's my personal garenntee

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I REALLY miss my Pre.

The Galaxy is nice and all. Lots of great, new bells and whistles. But it only takes one brief experience with any other device to realize how absolutely superior and superb WebOS multi-tasking is to all others.
    Just install swipepad or any of the numerous similar apps that enhance multi-tasking on your android phone and you'll no longer miss webos multi-tasking.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    But it only takes one brief experience with any other device to realize how absolutely superior and superb WebOS multi-tasking is to all others.
    Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't give up my G-Note to go back to a Palm phone, but I do miss the cards and swiping.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't give up my G-Note to go back to a Palm phone, but I do miss the cards and swiping.
    Friend at work has a galaxy note, I wouldn't call it a phone
    Just install swipepad or any of the numerous similar apps that enhance multi-tasking on your android phone and you'll no longer miss webos multi-tasking.
    Don't mean to be combative, but I have to call BS on this. I tried several of the Android "multi-tasking enhancements". None of them bring Android anywhere near as easy to use as webOS. Most of them just messed up my phone(EVO 3D)/TouchPad. Also, before anyone else tries to say it, the so card "cards" ICS and Jellybean are not the same or even close to using webOS. Better multi-tasking is the reason that keeps bringing me and others here back to webOS.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Quote Originally Posted by guma View Post
    Sounds like App stacking is needed to approach webOS's native multi-tasking capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Don't mean to be combative, but I have to call BS on this. I tried several of the Android "multi-tasking enhancements". None of them bring Android anywhere near as easy to use as webOS. Most of them just messed up my phone(EVO 3D)/TouchPad. Also, before anyone else tries to say it, the so card "cards" ICS and Jellybean are not the same or even close to using webOS. Better multi-tasking is the reason that keeps bringing me and others here back to webOS.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    I tried swipepad on an ICS Tablet based on guma's post... I call BS as well. I quickly deleted the App. It was needlessly complicated to set up and under-effectual in operation.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Friend at work has a galaxy note, I wouldn't call it a phone
    True. I haven't used my touchpad or my tv much since I got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    True. I haven't used my touchpad or my tv much since I got it.
    Went to a random non-mobil formatted site on the galaxy note and could not read the text in portrait mode. Maybe some setting to adjust?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    To answer the OPs theme-question "Oh Pre, where art thou".

"He's been gone ter Treo-land"

Sorry.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...