Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
  1.    #1  
    For all we have read about the unfortunate events that happened to Palm company(going bankrupt) and our beloved WebOS mobile operating system. And seeing that those who have the power on HP to turns things around, are not interested into making an effort to move into the mobile efforts to create tablets/phone devices. We have seen that HP has no clue on what direction they're planning to go after with WebOS hits open source this fall season, and lack of hope for those who are still working at the WebOS development team under the wings of HP. I think one thing to say to those people who are at the WebOS department to start considering after WebOS hits Open Source to separate themselves from HP once and for all. HP is dead weight for WebOS, with lack of any kind of effort with that company that continues to drag their feet

Today, there was a report that the ex-employees from the forgotten MeeGo smartphone operating system who got laid off from Nokia(due to Nokia forming partnership with the company Microsoft) created a new independent company. The new company is called Jolla which is being led by Chief Operating Officer Marc Dillon(Main engineer of MeeGo) and with a couple of investors they seem to go forward with the platform to create new devices that runs on that operating system. The team issued an statement earlier during this past weekend, stating that they might plan to release a new device later on this year:

"Nokia created something wonderful – the world’s best smartphone product. It deserves to be continued, and we will do that together with all the bright and gifted people contributing to the MeeGo success story.

Together with international investors and partners, Jolla Ltd. will design, develop and sell new MeeGo based smartphones. The Jolla team consists of a substantial number of MeeGo’s core engineers and directors, and is aggressively hiring the top MeeGo talent to contribute to the next generation smartphone production."

After seeing all of these kind of news, who knows if they will have any success with this new kind of project....However, I will say Go Meego! Its the smartest decision for them to go with this new project and wish them luck. And for the WebOS Team at HP, take note because if you love WebOS platform...in order to save your efforts that you placed creating WebOS you will have to take that route sooner or later. HP sucks as a company, save yourself WebOS escape from HP seriously !

Long Live WebOS !!!!!!!
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    ferchope and Rnp like this.
    I wonder if in some alternate reality...openwebos and meego could combine..and take over the mobile world.
    laoh likes this.
    One would hope that at least one or a few of former palm employees cared about webos so much and had the ability to start a company and raise capital do something with webos.

Kinda hard to imagine all of them happily using iphones
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    One would hope that at least one or a few of former palm employees cared about webos so much and had the ability to start a company and raise capital do something with webos.

Kinda hard to imagine all of them happily using iphones
    We can only hope, it would be nice to see a WebOS reunion of some sort in order to create this company that will dedicate themselves only for WebOS platform. But, on the most unlikely scenario it would be nice/super cool to see old Palm folks like Matias Duarte(snatch by the evil Google) and other employees from the old Palm, reunited again to form partnership again to make a new company.

Wishful thinking, wishful thinking.....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Vistaus likes this.
    At the risk of coming across as an HP apologist, what did people expect to happen? Once the decision was made by Leo, it was NEVER going to be reversed. Did anyone really expect them to hire back all the HW engineers, other R&D staff, and re-negotiate deals with supply chain partners and carriers (who already didn't trust HP)?

Lets not kid ourselves here, are we really that naive to think that if webos had been sold to <amazon, facebook, samsung etc> that whoever bought it would have even maintained it as the OS that we all know and love? We could all be here *****ing and moaning about what <insert name here> have done to our platform. The truth is none of us have any idea what would have happened had the OS been sold off, but its also easier to just keep attacking HP for past decisions. Again, I am not an HP apologist, I wholeheartedly agree that the decision to kill off webos HW was idiotic and incredibly damaging to HP itself, but its done. Is been almost a year - lets get over it and stop re-hashing the same arguments.

I for one am happy to be using what is ultimately an enthusiast platform on my devices. I fully accept that, but I can do everything I need to (and all at once if I fancy it ). That may change in a 1 or 2 years time, but hopefully by then openwebos will be more mature and available for install on other devices, or maybe a Phoenix device will out on the market.

The term enthusiast platform is used as a one of endearment - I have never seen a more active or passionate community than this one - the sheer commitment and level of support that it provides continues to amaze me. I have been so enthused personally that I've committed time and effort to the Homebrew Pivot project and am slowly learning coding skills in the hope that I can contribute apps at some stage in the future.

Personally, I think the best decision to come out of all of this is the one made by HP to open source webos. At least then it leverages the most passionate community in the industry and gives the OS an opportunity to extend its life beyond the existing hardware. That can only be a good thing.
    Last edited by steven_farkas; 07/11/2012 at 03:00 AM.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    RumoredNow and AKA Preluva like this.
    The only problem will be marketing. We know how HP failed with their marketing, but looking at money and connections: who will have more ability, the worldwide rich company HP or a small group of former employees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    The only problem will be marketing. We know how HP failed with their marketing, but looking at money and connections: who will have more ability, the worldwide rich company HP or a small group of former employees?
    the only issue is marketing? really?
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    At the risk of coming across as an HP apologist, what did people expect to happen? Once the decision was made by Leo, it was NEVER going to be reversed. Did anyone really expect them to hire back all the HW engineers, other R&D staff, and re-negotiate deals with supply chain partners and carriers (who already didn't trust HP)?

no, but i for one was hoping some other company like amazon or sony or hell ~anyone~ would swoop in and buy the remnants of palm, and at least make an attempt at putting it out in the market.

The truth is none of us have any idea what would have happened had the OS been sold off

pretty sure whoever would have bought it would have at least put it on some devices, instead of basically putting it on a shelf in a closet to die like hp has done.
    Last edited by illli; 07/11/2012 at 02:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    no, but i for one was hoping some other company like amazon or sony or hell ~anyone~ would swoop in and buy the remnants of palm, and at least make an attempt at putting it out in the market.

pretty sure whoever would have bought it would have at least put it on some devices, instead of basically putting it on a shelf in a closet to die like hp has done.
    Hoping was the keyword in that post! I am loosing faith in what actually Open webOS will bring to the mobile industry.. has anyone even contacted HP about using it? I read rumours about Facebook and Mozilla wanting to get into the mobile industry and hoped they would use webOS as its already developed but the reality is nobody knows whats gonna happen in the future and until Open webOS is released then we are left clutching to straws
    The road to success is always under construction
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    For all we have read about the unfortunate events that happened to Palm company(going bankrupt)
    I don't think Palm ever went bankrupt, at least not through the course of webOS.

At the risk of coming across as an HP apologist, what did people expect to happen? Once the decision was made by Leo, it was NEVER going to be reversed.
    I wholly agree, he killed the product itself by making his move. He broke production agreements, etc. That announcement killed the value of Palm/webOS in the global market. Nearly a year later, I am happy to see open source moving forward (whatever that means long term).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    the only issue is marketing? really?
    I didn't say the only issue is marketing, I just noted that as an important issue. The rest of the shortages is doable for a start-up, but the marketing will be a big problem.
    I wish them the best but let's face reality here, while carriers and consumers want another platform besides the current two, no little start up with a failled OS is gonna be the one to do it. Especially since the masses continue to happily throw their money at cRapple & Hemroid! Not to mention how much control the carriers have over what devices we actually get. If Meego was so great and had backing by a then much stronger Nokia, then why didn't it take off against the big two? Same with WebOS, the corpse has been dead and in the box so it's time to let it go. Even if someone like Amazon or Facebook bought it, I doubt it would continue to be as good as it was. I'm sure they would have added a **** load of useless crap that you couldn't get rid of. As for WebOS open I'm not technically savy enough to understand what it means and there's no new hardware anyway so who gives a hoot? So I'll love my little Pre till it finally gives up the ghost and continue using my TP until SOMEBODY comes up with something like THIS with Windows Phone 8 on it.
    Even after WebOS open source is released it will still be awhile before someone gets it on a phone.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    probably best anyone can hope for is after webos is finally completely released to open source, that some of the bits and pieces will be 'borrowed' and incorporated into projects that have a bigger backing.
    i know some on here will try to carry on the good fight and try to improve webOs, but its really a tragedy how most of the general public wont ever see or use it.
    Can someone explain realistically how/why marketing played a big roll in the failure of WebOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    HP made an attempt - or have I been imagining that I own an HP Touchpad, HP Veer, and HP Pre 3?

See my comment above.
    Last edited by steven_farkas; 07/12/2012 at 02:00 AM.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I didn't say the only issue is marketing, I just noted that as an important issue. The rest of the shortages is doable for a start-up, but the marketing will be a big problem.
    did you not type "The only problem will be marketing. We know how HP failed with their marketing" ?

seems to me thats what you were saying. If you meant something else, then fair enough.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
    Hoping was the keyword in that post! I am loosing faith in what actually Open webOS will bring to the mobile industry.. has anyone even contacted HP about using it? I read rumours about Facebook and Mozilla wanting to get into the mobile industry and hoped they would use webOS as its already developed but the reality is nobody knows whats gonna happen in the future and until Open webOS is released then we are left clutching to straws
    A severe dose of reality is needed here - there is NO WAY IN HELL that we will see a device running openwebos in 2012, and possibly not even in 2013. Seriously people - the first 'working' version of this is due in Sept. Do we all think there is a queue of OEM's sitting on the edge of their seats with vanilla devices in hand just waiting for HP to deliver the hottest new thing in mobile OS? Of course not, openwebos will make little impact outside of the webos circles, and thats a fact (besides some limited coverage in the tech press).

What we can hope for is that HP continues the development, future more stable builds incorporating additional functionality will appear and there is some organic growth in interest and usage. Initially this will obviously be ports to existing devices and if thats relatively smooth then maybe, just maybe someone will take a gamble. but anyone expecting devices running openwebos to appear on the market come October of this year is a fantasist.

And my 2 cents on Mozilla and Facebook - mozilla have launched their own mobile browser, and I'd rather stick with webos as is than have zuckerberg and his cronies ****** up webos beyond all recognition (you know they will) - DISLIKE.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Mozilla and Facebook? i thought Facebook was interested in Opera, not in Mozilla?

Btw, "Do we all think there is a queue of OEM's sitting on the edge of their seats with vanilla devices in hand just waiting for HP to deliver the hottest new thing in mobile OS?"

That's the most silly argument I heard so far. Even IF someone was interested than we still wouldn't know. 99% of all companies don't announce any talks, they just announce when they're done talking and something is going to be manufactured.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    HP made an attempt - or have I been imagining that I own an HP Touchpad, HP Veer, and HP Pre 3?

that was a halfhearted attempt that was killed off way too early by someone who should never been brought in to run the company in the first place. remember those other decisions he announced which made the stock lose about 50% overnight? yeah.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast