Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    This is really great work from the Jolla team and in such short time frame.

I cannot do anything except giving them credits for the great work so far!

Though I would like to see some proper sales results first, but it's a promising first step for Jolla!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Or the devices will come slightly after the first release of OpenWebOS. Btw, how do you know they're on track for September? They're not even on schedule right now so who knows if they're gonna make the deadline?
    They aren't on schedule? Where are they now, and where are they supposed to be? (I haven't heard anything to say they weren't on schedule, did I miss something somewhere?)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Yes, I know information that was posted by WebOS Ports. Oh wait, our own dev team is lying about the targets? Oh no, that's a shame. I won't trust them anymore then
    I challenge you to cite where the WebOS Ports team has given any indication at all one way or another on this topic. WebOS Ports has been exceedingly careful NOT TO DO SO, since Open webOS is not yet released, and people should not assume anything AT ALL about it until the full source code is published and evaluated.

-- Rod
    Or the devices will come slightly after the first release of OpenWebOS. Btw, how do you know they're on track for September? They're not even on schedule right now so who knows if they're gonna make the deadline?
    Specifically which milestone from the Press Release from the start of the year has been missed so far? I am not aware of any that have been missed. On what basis, therefore, do you make that statement?

-- Rod
    They didn't release the final version of Ares2, which was bound for... April or May. They only released some test version you could run locally, but they promised it would be hosted just like Ares1 for April or May. Since they still haven't done that, I consider it missed as they failed to live up to that objective.

As for the statement:
    "Moving forward to well-documented mobile devices with
    readily available hardware drivers using the Open webOS 1.0 release."

Since I thought webOS Internals, but more on Cynanogenmod have reverse engineered the drivers of the Pre 3, we have documented drivers of the Pre 3 and therefore the Pre 3 is a target, according to your own statement.

And apart from that, you also seem to have said that even software-wise everything is there for the Pre 3: Respect for the work, but why do we have to wait for devices?
    im assuming you have inside information on the openwebos schedule based on what you've said above? care to share how you know they're not on schedule for september?
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    They didn't release the final version of Ares2, which was bound for... April or May. They only released some test version you could run locally, but they promised it would be hosted just like Ares1 for April or May. Since they still haven't done that, I consider it missed as they failed to live up to that objective.

Im getting the impression you just look for any reason to bash HP? did you miss this update in April?

Ares 2 opened up, Enyo 2 updated with improved scrolling and lists | webOS Nation

So Again, can you share this inside information you clearly must have about the openwebos team not being on schedule for September?

(to be fair i fully expect a reply splitting hairs that ARES2 isn't fully complete and that github-ing the source code isn't enough. right?)
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Yes, I'm constantly bashing HP. That's why 99% of my posts consists of defending HP and webOS.
    Please, first look at my posts, see that I mostly defend 'em and than, if you're really sure, you can call me a basher.

And yes, Ares 2 is opened up, but it's NOT the final hosted version that they promised to have 2 months ago. It's only the Github version. And no, I don't say that's enough, just that they didn't release as they promised so they're a bit off-track and that makes me wonder if they make it in September. But TBH, I don't care if they're done in September or in 2013, webOS rocks in the meantime anyway
    And yes, Ares 2 is opened up, but it's NOT the final hosted version that they promised to have 2 months ago.
    Can you please point me to where anything said Ares 2 was said to be "fully hosted" by April? Below is from the press release for the road map.

Over the first half of the year, HP will make individual elements of webOS source code available – from core applications like Mail and Calendar to its Linux kernel – until the full code base is contributed to the open source community by September.

January: Enyo 2.0 and Enyo source code Apache License, Version 2.0

February: Intended project governance model, QT WebKit extensions, JavaScript core, UI Enyo widgets

March: Linux standard kernel, Graphics extensions EGL, LevelDB, USB extensions

April: Ares 2.0, Enyo 2.1, Node services
    HP's open source webOS roadmap | webOS Nation

I honestly can't find anything, anywhere that states what you are saying. I have done multiple google searches and find nothing but what I have quoted above. This includes looking at hp.com and enyojs.com
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Can you please point me to where anything said Ares 2 was said to be "fully hosted" by April? Below is from the press release for the road map.

HP's open source webOS roadmap | webOS Nation

I honestly can't find anything, anywhere that states what you are saying. I have done multiple google searches and find nothing but what I have quoted above. This includes looking at hp.com and enyojs.com
    beat me to it I did predict hair splitting in the reply though, and thats what we got!
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Yes, I'm constantly bashing HP. That's why 99% of my posts consists of defending HP and webOS.
    Please, first look at my posts, see that I mostly defend 'em and than, if you're really sure, you can call me a basher.

And yes, Ares 2 is opened up, but it's NOT the final hosted version that they promised to have 2 months ago. It's only the Github version. And no, I don't say that's enough, just that they didn't release as they promised so they're a bit off-track and that makes me wonder if they make it in September. But TBH, I don't care if they're done in September or in 2013, webOS rocks in the meantime anyway
    Im going only by what I read on this thread which is why I used the phrase "get the impression"
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Last I saw, we had one company planning to release owOS phones. I don't remember where the thread was, but search for Phoenix.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    @Oldskool @Steven

It used to say that in the Readme, but apperantly they have changed that afterwards
    https://github.com/enyojs/ares-proje...ster/README.md

Now it just states: "We will be migrating the Dropbox authentication mechanism to the currently recommended scheme. Note there is not yet a publicly hosted version of Ares."
    Which used to be something like: "We will be migrating the Dropbox authentication mechanism to the currently recommended scheme and have the publicly hosted Ares ready towards the end of May/begin of June."
    From the original read me (originally committed 4-27-12, the day of public release of Ares 2) , still no mention of release date... This part of the document currently reads as it did in the original you can see quoted below.

I was unable to locate any version of the document stating anything about a target for public hosting.

Note: The current Dropbox interface was implemented with an authentication mechanism that has since been deprecated by Dropbox and for which API keys are no longer available, so most users will not be able to run their own Hermes Dropbox component at the moment. However, those wishing to test drive the functionality above can open ares/index.html which points to a temporary hosted version of the Dropbox Hermes component using a valid API key. We will be migrating the Dropbox authentication mechanism to the currently recommended scheme. Note there is not yet a publicly hosted version of Ares.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    ...Oh, BTW, fitting to this thread:
    Jolla signs distribution deal China's largest phone retailer

So Jolla (Meego-followup) has China...
    That's right... we were supposed to be talking about Meego in this thread. LOL

I saw that announcement as well and thought, "good for them."

I think it is cool that Jolla has gotten some traction so fast. I can only hope the Phoenix people get something cooking for webOS.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

As for the statement:
    "Moving forward to well-documented mobile devices with
    readily available hardware drivers using the Open webOS 1.0 release."

Since I thought webOS Internals, but more on Cynanogenmod have reverse engineered the drivers of the Pre 3, we have documented drivers of the Pre 3 and therefore the Pre 3 is a target, according to your own statement.
    Please provide the link to the source code for all kernel drivers for the Pre3. I do not have one, perhaps you do in order to support your invalid assumption that your statement follows from mine.

-- Rod

And apart from that, you also seem to have said that even software-wise everything is there for the Pre 3: Respect for the work, but why do we have to wait for devices?
    You reference a post by someone else who also seems to purport to be speaking on behalf of WebOS Internals and/or WebOS Ports.

If you presume to put words in my mouth, please provide original citations, not flawed third-hand assumption-laden Chinese whispers.

-- Rod
    Re: chinese whispers
    The problem with these is that even after I gorge on them, an hour later I am back @ webosnation looking for 3rds!
    sledge007 and johncc like this.
    Well, since you are part of webOS Ports, that statement is yours. In fact, that statement is made on the front page of the webOS Ports wiki.

As far as the drivers go, here you go: https://github.com/codecrumb/webos-l...master/drivers

And if you miss anything, the Sony Arc uses a lot of the same h/w and drivers and those are here: [DEV] Official Kernel Sources & Ramdisk for Xperia 2011 devices [posted at GITHUB] - xda-developers
    Well, since you are part of webOS Ports, that statement is yours. In fact, that statement is made on the front page of the webOS Ports wiki.

As far as the drivers go, here you go: https://github.com/codecrumb/webos-l...master/drivers
    The statement on the wiki is correct. Your assumptions drawn from that statement are unsupported by fact.

The link you provide is to a subset of the complete set of hardware drivers, hope you don't want to use wifi or the camera or run games.

Your assumption that 80% of the drivers, or drivers from some other OS, is enough for a successful Open webOS port, is invalid. Even making such an assumption before the source code for Open webOS is released by HP is not possible.

Yes, I know information that was posted by WebOS Ports. Oh wait, our own dev team is lying about the targets?
    Do not make unsubstantiated statements about what WebOS Internals or WebOS Ports will or can do based on your own flawed assumptions. And especially do not make slanderous statements about those teams lying to the community based on that same flawed logic. Either support your assertion of lying, or remove the post where you make that assertion.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/17/2012 at 07:44 PM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast