Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    that was a halfhearted attempt that was killed off way too early by someone who should never been brought in to run the company in the first place. remember those other decisions he announced which made the stock lose about 50% overnight? yeah.
    It lost about 25% and that was also contributed to the fact that HP had a 23% drop in PC sales.

The bottom line on the Touchpad is that it was not selling and sales continued to erode every week. It got to the point where the retailers were going to return their unsold units to HP. It had a 10% sell through at the end of 5 weeks with nothing to show it would pick up at all.
    Last edited by rnld; 07/12/2012 at 03:33 PM.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    It got to the point where the retailers were going to return their unsold units to HP.
    This is a rumor from almost a year ago that was never verified by anyone other than the ONE anonymous source. People took it as fact because it was repeated by every "news" source out there.... I really wish it was more clear what sources are actual news and what sources are tech blogs.

Anyways point being when that BS "article" hit and everyone copied it I checked stock at local retailers, most had stock but not all retailers had stock.

I will also note one of the biggest, if not the biggest wal-mart around here never had stock or a demo, never carried the accessories. Other smaller stores had varying levels of stock of various items, never saw a wal-mart with full stock and accessories.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    with the TV and advertising campaign along with the millions of iPad selling out the door, you are questioning that Best Buy would have ordered 250K units for their stores? That is about 250 Touchpads for each store for launch.

Apple sold 300K iPads on launch day in 2010 and were up to a million a month later.

250K as an initial layout for a serious challenger does not seem unusual.
    Has anyone taken into account the amount of free advertising that apple gets, its mind bogglng
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Has anyone taken into account the amount of free advertising that apple gets, its mind bogglng
    Can you point out what you mean by this?
    Can you point out what you mean by this?
    Free advertising means like when a bank, tv station, car manufacturer runs an ad talking up their latest iphone app, compatibility etc. Its all over the place, now android is starting to get some of that too. No love for windows phone, bb, and palm? Forget about it
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Free advertising means like when a bank, tv station, car manufacturer runs an ad talking up their latest iphone app, compatibility etc. Its all over the place, now android is starting to get some of that too. No love for windows phone, bb, and palm? Forget about it
    The companies make their own apps. They choose what format(s) they want to build for.

No prominent company would build a WebOS app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Mozilla and Facebook? i thought Facebook was interested in Opera, not in Mozilla?

Btw, "Do we all think there is a queue of OEM's sitting on the edge of their seats with vanilla devices in hand just waiting for HP to deliver the hottest new thing in mobile OS?"

That's the most silly argument I heard so far. Even IF someone was interested than we still wouldn't know. 99% of all companies don't announce any talks, they just announce when they're done talking and something is going to be manufactured.
    business done behind closed doors shocker. thanks for that.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    that was a halfhearted attempt that was killed off way too early by someone who should never been brought in to run the company in the first place. remember those other decisions he announced which made the stock lose about 50% overnight? yeah.
    so you agree with me that they made an attempt then, yeah?
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    A severe dose of reality is needed here - there is NO WAY IN HELL that we will see a device running openwebos in 2012, and possibly not even in 2013. Seriously people - the first 'working' version of this is due in Sept. Do we all think there is a queue of OEM's sitting on the edge of their seats with vanilla devices in hand just waiting for HP to deliver the hottest new thing in mobile OS? Of course not, openwebos will make little impact outside of the webos circles, and thats a fact (besides some limited coverage in the tech press).
    Why do you say no chance in HELL that could happen in 2012 or 2013? It's not that impossible for a device to show up by the end of the year running on WebOS, its up to those stupid people from HP to play their cards right and speak with the manufacturers to make devices with an offer for an alternative OS operating system than Android or Windows Mobile. But again we are talk about an incompetent company like HP that their innovation shortly lasted with the invention of the printers. And talking about limited coverage of the Press, its also HP making their voices be heard with the press with sending statements of probably making an event to discuss the new Open Source project for WebOS and maybe some members might get re-excited by the news out of WebOS that maybe get more than little coverage.

Look at Microsoft, with how they are talking to manufacturers to make windows mobile 8 devices and even some promising some will become available by the end of this year. The company Microsoft doesn't play with their thumbs(sitting on their laurels) waiting for someone to approach them, instead they are the ones pushing the platform forward with their deal talks with HTC, Samsung and LG. Why HP couldn't do the same ?, That's right its all HP, wasting their times while other companies makes their moves into the mobile market space with smartphones and tablets. Smart HP !!!
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why do you say no chance in HELL that could happen in 2012 or 2013?
    Because OEMs want to make profits not throw money down the bottomless pit known as "WebOS" - it's going to have a long life as a hobbyist os but it's not coming back as a commercial product in any meaningful way.
    AKA Preluva likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because OEMs want to make profits not throw money down the bottomless pit known as "WebOS" - it's going to have a long life as a hobbyist os but it's not coming back as a commercial product in any meaningful way.
    Then please go and talk to Samsung to stop their Bada development 'cause I don't see Bada picking up steam either.
    The next step for webOS won't have anything to do with OEMs. It will rely on a viable OS appearing on existing hardware from the efforts of the homebrew sector. If that happens, there may be a future.
    The only problem will be marketing. We know how HP failed with their marketing, but looking at money and connections: who will have more ability, the worldwide rich company HP or a small group of former employees?
    word of mouth, most ppl i know dont "WANT" an iphone, they dont even see/care about any adverts, all they know is all their mates rave about one and they follow like sheep, same thing back in the 80s/90s with amiga computers, id personally never seen an advert at all, what id seen was my mates/family using 1 and talking about them so i followed suit.

same could be said of any device in the hands of friends/family/randoms at work.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Bada? It has been very successful in the markets they have targeted and for the phones it is released on - certainly more successful than flops like webos or WP7.

Then please go and talk to Samsung to stop their Bada development 'cause I don't see Bada picking up steam either.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    word of mouth, most ppl i know dont "WANT" an iphone, they dont even see/care about any adverts, all they know is all their mates rave about one and they follow like sheep, same thing back in the 80s/90s with amiga computers, id personally never seen an advert at all, what id seen was my mates/family using 1 and talking about them so i followed suit.

same could be said of any device in the hands of friends/family/randoms at work.
    If word of mouth was great or was the key to WebOS, it would not have sold fewer and fewer phones with every release.

The Touchpad didn't make any kind of dent in the marketplace until it was put on sale at the same price as the worst of the worst tablets. Even that didn't result in any meaningful word of mouth.
    If word of mouth was great or was the key to WebOS, it would not have sold fewer and fewer phones with every release.

The Touchpad didn't make any kind of dent in the marketplace until it was put on sale at the same price as the worst of the worst tablets. Even that didn't result in any meaningful word of mouth.
    To be fair the worst of the worst were selling below 199 the winter (christmas) before the TP launched/was killed.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You consistently state that OEMs want to make profits... Agreed.

But then you seem to imply that alternates are not the way... I'll disagree there.

Why?

Apple is a closed OS - no one is going to make any profit out of it as an OEM except Apple...

That leaves Android as the other mainstream OS for OEMs to choose from. But who's making the profit from Android? Samsung. Everyone else is seeing their profits shrink from Android sales.

That leaves OEMs in a bad position.

Continuing with Android is a move that is the very definition of insanity: repeating a behavior in belief that it will somehow have a different result than it has had in your previous experience.

OEMs want to make a profit.

Apple is doing it.

Samsung is doing it.

Everyone else is failing.

According to your constant remarks in this forum, sticking with Android and shunning alternatives will generate profit for all OEMs.

That's insane.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Android is a failure for most if not all but samsung in terms of profits and don't disagree that a profitable alternative will or needs to exist but I don't see it be a flop like Wp7, webos or the upcoming Bb10 - I suspect it is something that does not currently exist and will come from someone either not currently in the sector or is a minor player not a failed giant from the previous generation of OSes.

20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The other thing is that I think a lot of the current OEMs rather than adopt another OS will simply go out of business or exit the sector.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast