Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Hello

If this is true then "maybe" Open webOS has a future in the tablet industry, with a company that many people here wanted to take up webOS

HTC barred from making Windows 8 tablets, report claims | CNET UK

Whats people thoughts on webOS and this comapny possibly working togather?

Like to find out peoples thoughts?

I have a little glimmer of hope for webOS if this turns out to be true.
    I have a feeling they would head to android before touching webOS. Sad but true..

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    They probably will go back to android but some OEMs (not all) are starting to get into having 2 OS... maybe Open soursew webOS could be picked up by them? And with Enyo being easier to develop on "maybe" things could kick off the way it should have been the first time around.

I have notcied a lot of pesamistic views on webOSnations over the past few months! Sad times, if HP wanted to kill webOS it would have already, granted they are not investing mass amounts of cash into it but they are still investing
    The road to success is always under construction
    I just don't see why they should choose webOS over Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    I can see why they should, but I know why they most likely will not lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I can see why they should, but I know why they most likely will not lol
    My exact same feelings...
    Newness Developments apps:

Vistaus likes this.
    my heart says they should do it , just to tick off the other OS's . But whatever they ..... oh look its so shiny.....
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
    Hello

If this is true then "maybe" Open webOS has a future in the tablet industry, with a company that many people here wanted to take up webOS

HTC barred from making Windows 8 tablets, report claims | CNET UK

Whats people thoughts on webOS and this comapny possibly working togather?

Like to find out peoples thoughts?

I have a little glimmer of hope for webOS if this turns out to be true.
    I think it's possible. HTC has lost its smartphone android lead to samsung and motorola (acquired by google) so it has to be nervous. Apple has gone after HTC for patent infringement and is trying to ban sale of its products! HTC is much smaller than Samsung and is very vulnerable to Apple's attacks. Android tablets are not selling well and those that are selling bear the samsung and motorola logos. HTC is nimble enough to support another OS and has its roots as a contract manufacturer.
    Question is if HP can deliver a polished and complete openWebOS by september.
    The above argument can be addressed to any 2nd tier android player. If their products aren't selling, then androids overall success is not as important and they have to look for alternatives. An actual line of OEM webOS devices would be much more successful than homebrew os transplants by the few tech savvy users who graft webOS on to a android tablet.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Nobody is going to spend any serious money on an OS that has zero market share after existing for three years. Webos is a great hobbyist OS but it has no commerical prospects.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Because there are already Android tablets on the market is one reason.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Because there are already Android tablets on the market is one reason.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    That's like saying there are already Windows computers on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Yeah. Steve Jobs made such a mistake when he launched Mac OSX.

I agree that HTC will most likely go with Android.
    And MS might change their stance. It might all be just show and negotiation tactics.

But there is value in going with another option. At some point there are too many Android variants and being just the umpteenth Android manufacturer is not a great marketign position.

OEMs already put extra stufff on top of Android to distinguish themselves from the competition.

Some company might decide that using webos (which still has some good compeitive features going for it) - probably complemented with ACL to fix the app availability problem - might be the way to offer something different from everybody else.

It looks more appealing than WP7/W8 with Metro (IMHO - and total lack of market success confirms that so far) and will be licence-free - just as Android.

I wouldn't bet on it - but there is a chance.

Samsung is another candidate. webos is not a success - but it's far ahead of Tizen/Meego/Maemo or Bada - and Samsung did that.

And keeping options open has value. Neither carriers, nor manufacturers want 1 dominating OS. Supporting too many costs too much money. But having just one option is dangerous as it gives the owner too much power. And from the perspective of manufacturers there is only 1 dominating OS available atm (Apple is not licencing IOS after all). In theory Android is not owned by Google - but in practice they control it almost completely.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I agree that being just the 100th Android phone maker is not the best position to be in, but if I were HTC, the lack of an ecosystem would deter me from choosing webOS. Why not go the Amazon route, take as much from Android as one can freely take and build an HTC Android spinoff for themselves. They already have the expertise and they'd still have the several hundred thousand apps.
    I'm skeptical how pretty ACL will be. Are Android apps running under ACL able to utilize native webOS notifications? Will there be an Google Market app? Or Android apps in the App Catalog?
    My point is, if John Doe regular customer is not able to casually browse, choose, download and use Android apps on his webOS phone and then have a somewhat satisfying experience using these apps, ACL will not be the end of all problems.

And I don't think webOS is far ahead of Maemo, it's a completely mature and good OS (it's also much older than webOS). MeeGo is still young and has a lot of rough edges, but it's already very usable and has some very nice things. Can't say anything about bada. Tizen is a joke right now (IMO of course), but let's see what comes of it.

Anyway, if I were HTC and wanted to have my very own OS, I would have bought webOS a long time ago. Either when Palm was up for sale, or when HP didn't want it anymore. From what we regular folks hear, they were indeed interested, but didn't buy it in the end.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    They don't sell in significant numbers either, at the moment unless you are apple, quick and more effective to burn money on a bonfire than get into the tablet space.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    HTC being different was the point i was trying to make.

I think its a dumb move to open a pizza joint up right nex to a college campus that already has pizza joints. Unless, of course, you offer a different kind of pizza then the rest.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I agree that being just the 100th Android phone maker is not the best position to be in, but if I were HTC, the lack of an ecosystem would deter me from choosing webOS. Why not go the Amazon route, take as much from Android as one can freely take and build an HTC Android spinoff for themselves.
    Amazon has very specific and unique interests in a platform. Amazon is not trying to compete head-on over full-featured tablets and has nothing at all in the smartphone market. Amazon sells ebook readers and portable virtual storefronts that happen to also do some tablet stuff (and after some early hype not too successfully later from what I gather).
    And maintaining your own fork is costly. If it were easy and cheap to develop and maintain an OS - everybody would have their own and never would have bothered with sharing Android.

I agree about the lack of a competitive ecosystem. That's why I believe that *if* HTC (or Samsung or Sony) ever go with webos - they'll use ACL.

They already have the expertise and they'd still have the several hundred thousand apps.
    So would webos with ACL.

I'm skeptical how pretty ACL will be.
    Fair enough. We don't know how well it'll integrate.

Are Android apps running under ACL able to utilize native webOS notifications?
    That might actually be raletively easy. Intercept the system call to an Android notification - display as a webos notification. The devil might be in the details - but it's doable.

Will there be an Google Market app? Or Android apps in the App Catalog?
    Does it matter? As long as the apps are available customers won't care much how the App market/catalog is named.

My point is, if John Doe regular customer is not able to casually browse, choose, download and use Android apps on his webOS phone and then have a somewhat satisfying experience using these apps, ACL will not be the end of all problems.
    Agreed.

And I don't think webOS is far ahead of Maemo, it's a completely mature and good OS (it's also much older than webOS). MeeGo is still young and has a lot of rough edges, but it's already very usable and has some very nice things. Can't say anything about bada. Tizen is a joke right now (IMO of course), but let's see what comes of it.
    Maemo/Meego/Tizen - it's all different generations of the same thing.
    Moblin + Maemo -> Meego
    Meego - Nokia -> Tizen

Nokia did Maemo, Intel had Moblin - they joined forces and called it Meego.
    After Nokia dropped out, Intel said they would continue and called it Tizen. No idea why they think they have to come up with a new name every other year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they merge with Bada in a few months and produce yet another new name. UPDATE: No new name yet - but Samsung already announced that they will merge Bada into Tizen. :-)

And yes - webos is far ahead of Tizen. Whatever is still left of webos and it's devices is still more and had more widespread use than Tizen has.

Anyway, if I were HTC and wanted to have my very own OS, I would have bought webOS a long time ago.

Either when Palm was up for sale, or when HP didn't want it anymore. From what we regular folks hear, they were indeed interested, but didn't buy it in the end.
    They tried - just weren't willing to beat HP on price.
    Now webos will be available for $0 in a few months. Obviouly there are costs later for fine-tuning and marketing.

Again - I'm not betting on anybody producing dedicated webos hardware. But I can see how it might happen and why there might be demand for it.

Also this market is somewhat volatile atm. A lot will change in the next couple of years.

Nokia bet the farm on WP7 - and currently is looking too good.

Rim is loosing marketshare fast - from a position that looked very good just a couple years ago. And Nokia dominated mobile/cell phones for a decade.

MS is desperate to make something happen here and they sacrificed Windows Mobile for theor WP7 play.
    W8 is talking great risks on mobile *and* desktop.

W8 could easily become a Vista-like flop (and Vista was bad - very bad - in every way).
    Rim could make a surprise recovery, or go bankrupt.

MS might buy Nokia or Rim - or both.

Facebook could enter the fray.

In response Google-rola could turn into something that sours Googles relationship with the Android partners.

One thing is for sure. Mobile is big and will become much bigger. And mobile is dominated by IOS and Android. And that seriously threatens to end the Wintel hegemony on personal computing. Add in smart and connected TVs (effectively integrated media centers for the living room) and we'll see an incredible number of devices in the near future where MS has only a small - perhaps even tiny - market share on everything that's considered important and high-margin (unlike PCs which are now low-margin commodity devices).
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Yeah. Steve Jobs made such a mistake when he launched Mac OSX.
    Are you claiming that all iMacs, Powerbooks and iBooks were unsuccessful under OS 8 thru OS 9.2.2?

That OSX wasn't the logical next step in the Apple OS development?
    i don't see what's stopping them from making an android device and then shipping a few with webos installed to test the market.

they have the money to do stuff like that. especially if they don't tinker w/ the software...... o.O
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Are you claiming that all iMacs, Powerbooks and iBooks were unsuccessful under OS 8 thru OS 9.2.2?

That OSX wasn't the logical next step in the Apple OS development?
    You missed the point.
    It wasn't about a specific version.

In the 90s Apple was dying. They dropped to a very low market share of a few %. At one point there was speculation about how many *months* Apple might still be around.
    And the OS market was utterly dominated by Windows.

And no - OSX was not an obvious next step at the time.
    Apple pretty much replaced their own OS. Combining the Mach Kernel (from Next) and complementing it with BSD toolset and a shiny new UI was brilliant and daring.I'm sure that there were plenty of people inside Apple who argued against that.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    So nobody think an OEM is going to take a chance on webOS, I named a specfic company to start the ball rolling on this and backed it up with a *hope* and a little reason to *why* it may happen...

I believe an OEM will take up webOS on its smart phones.. whom???? my guess is as good as the next person... But with "as mentioned change" in the mobile industry upcoming over the next 5 years webOS becoming open source is a very good idea.

I read somewhere that MIUI has released a phone running Android and their were whispears of Samsung having talks with Cyanogenmod lat last year (highly unlikely) but if Open webOS could get that kind of support, eventually, then he have hope of new webOS hardware.

Just a general question i have been meaning to ask, I am far from being a Dev and haven't got the first clue on how to even developing an app. So, compared to the big 4 at the min in the mobile market (iOS, Android, WP and BB) How easy, 1st of all is it to develop an app for the ground up on webOS comapred to those and 2ndly (amazingly lazy english) how easy is it to port apps already made for those across to webOS?
    The road to success is always under construction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast