1.    #1  
    As I sit here typing this on an Acer Iconia A100 (7" tablet) running Android 3.2.1, I discover just how far ahead of the curve WebOS still is. Not only is it much more intuitive, the fact that one has to tunnel in 3 or 4 levels to do simple (and at least for me) frequent tasks in Android is not just annoying, it's counterproductive. I shouldn't need to tunnel down to turn Bluetooth on or off, to connect to a WiFi network or disconnect, and I really miss the brilliance of cards.

So, with every manufacturer seemingly creating their own 'fork' of Android, adding their own interface, what is the possibility of duplicating the WebOS environment and operation as an Android 'fork?' I also have a 16gb TouchPad, which I much prefer to this device and OS, but I felt I had to get this because so many useful apps are available only for Android and iPhone. I can't think of any good reason to replace WebOS on my TP with Android, having experienced both - this is an enormous step backward in ease of use and productivity. Barring that possibility, at least being able to run Android apps in WebOS might be a reasonable compromise, but that would still leave the underlying system tools unnecessarily inept.
    I think part of your problem here may be because your Acer's using Android 3. With ICS/CM9 you don't have to tunnel down to do the things you describe, they're on the notification panel, and although not as elegant as the webOS implementation you do have the equivalent of cards (barring running multiple instances of an application).

Not having the multiple cards functionality taking up the screen does, of course, free up the home page for buttons and widgets, so even in Android 3 you can easily set up single click access to toggling Bluetooth and WiFi, etc.

But to address the thread title, what do we gain from a webOS fork for Android that we don't currently get from dual-booting? Are you thinking along the lines of a deep UI for Android that recreates the webOS experience?

Spyke
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, pretty much - let the apps run as they will in 'cards' or their equivalent, and have the Android OS running under an interface that operates with the ease and (to me, at least) logic that WebOS affords; the latter just feels like it was designed for mobile devices, where Android feels like an implementation of old desktop paradigms that don't take the best advantage of a touchscreen ecosystem. It's not a matter of wanting to run WebOS and Android both, but a feeling that, if it may not have the hardware support to exist on its own, WebOS could exist as an Android deep UI, as you put it, and give users both the superior (IMHO) WebOS experience AND the broader app and hardware availability of Android.