Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Ask around. Maybe someone can explain it to you.
    Bottom line - WebOS has never been successful and isn't even on the market. This is nothing like changing the quarterback on an ongoing football team with a game schedule, stadium, GM, coach, etc.

They aren't in the game. A handful of press releases or the promise on open source with no hardware doesn't even rise to the level of fantasy football.

If you are trying to say that the "top guy" or anyone can be replaced, just look at the HP revolving CEO door and remember where that ended up. Orphaned possible open source WebOS.

Excuse me for not being the least bit excited.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    After mulling about the last few days...The Verge's title of its article was very deceptive. Really it should be Enyo team members get poached by Google. I don't have a problem with people leaving for better opportunities but having a team of 6 from Enyo group means it was concerted effort on Google's part and Mcnulty's (assuming he was the leader) part. A more dignified professional way to do it would be to leave individually or finish off the Enyo project/open webOS project and then leave soon afterwards. Google's not going anywhere and I doubt those jobs would evaporate instantly. I have no doubt HP was bad to work for but these guys were getting paid for their work. And switching to a direct competitor at this crucial junction is tacky. I doubt Google/android cared enough to stomp on webOS on its last attempt to be relevant but... still tacky.
    Enyo and webOS two different projects. Independent from each other.

Enyo is an object-oriented cross platform Java Script framework, for developing both mobile and web applications using the JavaScript fledging HTML5 standard.

Its also worth pointing out that Enyo is not part of webOS.

The two are sisters projects, but Enyo can be used without webOS, and webOS can be used without Enyo.

That is what I understood until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    After mulling about the last few days...The Verge's title of its article was very deceptive. Really it should be Enyo team members get poached by Google. I don't have a problem with people leaving for better opportunities but having a team of 6 from Enyo group means it was concerted effort on Google's part and Mcnulty's (assuming he was the leader) part. A more dignified professional way to do it would be to leave individually or finish off the Enyo project/open webOS project and then leave soon afterwards. Google's not going anywhere and I doubt those jobs would evaporate instantly. I have no doubt HP was bad to work for but these guys were getting paid for their work. And switching to a direct competitor at this crucial junction is tacky. I doubt Google/android cared enough to stomp on webOS on its last attempt to be relevant but... still tacky.
    It's an equal assumption that HP gave the entire WebOS team a little "If something is available elsewhere, you should consider it"
    Yes, it sucks that Matt (and the others) have left for the greener pastures of Google. But, this is not over. Not even close.

We will be at Fluent next week and we will be showcasing Enyo 2. I might even have a demo app (still in-progress) showing off some of the work-in-progress widgets working and being awesome.

So, chill out a while, and try to remain calm and patient. If you think you're stressed, try being an employee
    getting back to this,I know I was too harsh on Matt for leaving. I apologize. No excuses but my frustration came from how the verge reported this and tweeted it (incorrectly and without perspective) and folks understandable reaction to it. Also, I was not a fan of the open source decision, and I know Matt was strongly in favor. To me, I thought at the time that google must absolutely love HP's decision to open source. Then, to see a main proponent of the open sourcing leave to go to webOS's main competition (as I see it) in Google before the roadmap has been completed, I didn't like it.. Reasonable people can disagree on the open sourcing decision.
    but that is no reason to be rude. I'm sure Matt will never read this but he is a very talented guy and I'm sure he has huge differences with HP and more than valid reasons to leave. Heck, we all know he did. Can't be more unhappy with how HP handled webOS than I am. I also know some that believe google is a great place to work.. It is probably much better than hp right now. Best wishes to those that left and again I apologize.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Bottom line - WebOS has never been successful and isn't even on the market. This is nothing like changing the quarterback on an ongoing football team with a game schedule, stadium, GM, coach, etc.

They aren't in the game. A handful of press releases or the promise on open source with no hardware doesn't even rise to the level of fantasy football.

If you are trying to say that the "top guy" or anyone can be replaced, just look at the HP revolving CEO door and remember where that ended up. Orphaned possible open source WebOS.

Excuse me for not being the least bit excited.
    do you know the talents of the remaining engineers before talking about the top guy. You are assuming that the remaining engineers are inferior to these top guys and they have nothing better to do than sticking with a dying platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Look at the profile of the person that thanked your post.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgraw21 View Post
    What's Enyo?
    Enyo is the application framework that debuted on the Touchpad to succeed Mojo as the framework for apps.

Notable features are the use of web tech and the ability to scale to various screen sizes. (e.g. touchpad quickoffice running on my pre 2)

It can also be packaged for browsers and other OS's, making it sort of a write once, run anywhere solution.

This is from memory, feel free to correct me anyone.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Enyo is the application framework that debuted on the Touchpad to succeed Mojo as the framework for apps.

Notable features are the use of web tech and the ability to scale to various screen sizes. (e.g. touchpad quickoffice running on my pre 2)

It can also be packaged for browsers and other OS's, making it sort of a write once, run anywhere solution.

This is from memory, feel free to correct me anyone.
    Nailed it
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    do you know the talents of the remaining engineers before talking about the top guy. You are assuming that the remaining engineers are inferior to these top guys and they have nothing better to do than sticking with a dying platform.
    What I know very well is how corporations operate. Neither of us know the quality of the programmers working on WebOS.

If they are allowed to continue, they are going to need to bring WebOS up three fold. The "magic" of swipe to delete, multiple cards and the WebOS notifications are meaningless by themselves to the larger audience - The OS has to be quick and useful to compete.

Don't forget, the majority of people who have used WebOS on a phone had the original Pre and Pixi on Sprint.
    Last edited by rnld; 05/27/2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spaces
    What I know very well is how corporations operate. Neither of us know the quality of the programmers working on WebOS.

If they are allowed to continue, they are going to need to bring WebOS up three fold. The "magic" of swipe to delete, multiple cards and the WebOS notifications are meaningless by themselves to the larger audience - The OS has to be quick and useful to compete.

Don't forget, the majority of people who have used WebOS on a phone had the original Pre and Pixi on Sprint.
    You do realize that all of those things you are talking about have nothing to do with Enyo....right? It's okay if you didn't, but now you can consider yourself educated.

You're welcome!

(I guess swipe-to-delete could be considered from Enyo, but I consider it more of a design philosophy, the rest is webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by sugardave View Post
    You do realize that all of those things you are talking about have nothing to do with Enyo....right? It's okay if you didn't, but now you can consider yourself educated.

You're welcome!

(I guess swipe-to-delete could be considered from Enyo, but I consider it more of a design philosophy, the rest is webOS)
    i went to more of an encompassing HP WebOS must do other than specifically Enyo - which I know took the thread a little sideways.
    Yes, it sucks that Matt (and the others) have left for the greener pastures of Google. But, this is not over. Not even close.

We will be at Fluent next week and we will be showcasing Enyo 2. I might even have a demo app (still in-progress) showing off some of the work-in-progress widgets working and being awesome.

So, chill out a while, and try to remain calm and patient. If you think you're stressed, try being an employee
    ^ Real Talk!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Pretty sure that gentleman knows the quality of the programmers working on webOS
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 05/28/2012 at 06:02 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Pretty sure that gentleman knows the quality of the programmers working on webOS
    gbp does?
    gbp does?
    You had quoted "sugardave"...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You had quoted "sugardave"...
    His post didn't mention the quality of the programmers at WebOS.
    His comment didn't, but he does work there as a programmer.

Cool story, bro!

Here's mine: webOS Poster Child | sugardave.com

I wrote that almost 3 months ago, but it is still relevant today. Plus, I thought people could use another shot of inspiration due to recent news. I hope you enjoy it!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    His comment didn't, but he does work there as a programmer.
    No question. I had read that blog post a while back.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast