Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Who is girlie_mac on twitter, they were just poached by Richard Kerris for nokia

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Incorrect, Tomomi hasn't been an HP/Palm employee for a while. She got cut in the last round of Palm specific layoffs (before this nearly 30k).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    in my case this was for netflix alone, however my ps vita (yeah im a fool there as well) has netflix so my touchpad doesnt need cm9 now.
    LOL, the vita has been tempting me.... just to see how it works with the PS3, so it would be nearly a complete waste of money.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I was not speaking about HP bottom line or cost to produce a device, I was speaking to your comment on if anyone would want to run webOS.

You need to read the post as a whole, with ACL, the value of the OS (webOS) is then increased. ACL working properly on webOS retains all the goodness of webOS and the massive Android app cat.
    But if WebOS isn't adopted into other current hardware, it's a waste of money and resources for HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL, the vita has been tempting me.... just to see how it works with the PS3, so it would be nearly a complete waste of money.
    if you mean remote play its none existant for playing ps3 titles, same as running ps1 titles nativly, the funny part is the vita can do both perfectly however it seems disabled deliberatly as hackers have managed to get the native abilities re-activated running perfectly, seems sony would prefer up to date ports of ps3/ps1 titles for more $$/ rather than re-using titles we already own.

massivly disappointed in it tbh, superb hardware with a terrible UI, considerably worse support/titles available than the PSP, and far far far more limited selection of overpriced games/apps in the low quality store, you cant even preview games/etc with a video like on the ps3, you get some lame screenshots.

You end up buying one, playing a few games then lobbing it in a cupboard because it cant really do much, and as im UK, i have to do some pathetic long-arsed workaround to get the netflix app as its not properly released in the UK on the ps store, but you can grab it off teh american store and it lets you watch the uk selection of netflix vids anyways.

off on a tangent here now, but tbh theres a striking similarity between the vita's lack of erm everything and when i first got the touchpad, before we got a bit more apps over time, on day 1 after i had used the web client on touchpad and a few other stock apps you were left with the feeling "hmm, well that was brief, it needs to do more", the vita brings that feeling back tenfold.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    That's exactly the feed back I have been looking for (and why I have been waiting to hear it).
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    HP

webOS enyo team

Doesn't sound good...
    What's Enyo?
    I thought non-compete clauses were standard for developers working for big companies. Won't Google get in trouble for poaching these people, or is it just fair game on anyone working anywhere now?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Here is the main problem with all of this what is Open webOS?

According to their web page Open webOS

A platform built on open standards
    Designed for the web from the ground up
    A better approach to interacting with mobile devices
    A touch-optimized user experience that works for small and large devices
    A vision of web standards for creating apps

Now here is the problem they have only released a few "Components"

Enyo being one of them (hey they release enyo 1.0 to open source), see a few apps but nothing big...

Enyo 2.0 beta promisses to be better, a few more free samples, but nothing big yet either...

What are the currently available components of Open webOS?

Browser and Browser Server
    Platform Portability Layer
    System Policy
    DB8
    Luna-service2
    Node.jsjsjs
    Novacom

Now that is not enough to build a platform yet, when they release all of their ENYO apps (phone, calendar, calculator, etc..) will that include their App Catalog?

What will be released will be a platform framework, but one would need the backend parts device drivers, controlling the display, touch panel, modem, sim card, etc... Will that be opened?

They have not said if they are going to create a how to create a doctor, which currenty we can take existing doctors mash and make it do a lot of things, but I want the Java Class code of the doctor files itself, I doubt that will be open source?

The hope was once this Open webOS was released someone was going to take all the components mash them together and put it on a device, with out the device drivers, I am not sure how that will work...

I assume Qualcomm will not open source their modem drivers.

I have not heard about the synergy connectors, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, etc... How are those going to be released...

I feel like this is hackers making Motion Apps Classic work on the PixiPlus, PrePlus, Pre2, Veer, and Touchpad...

Hey I got ISIS running on the NOOK (this is a joke)...
    It seems to me that we might be close enough to the beta for you to get some answers. Is there a place to post your query on the Palm or Enyo blog or can you email unwired Ben? Heck, send the questions to Jason Robataille and ask him to pass them to his team to see which ones they can answer for us, can't hurt to ask.
    What a bad news!!!!!!!

whatever, I find a good news from relevant person in China. Acer may consider producing WebOS cellphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tired_ View Post
    I thought non-compete clauses were standard for developers working for big companies. Won't Google get in trouble for poaching these people, or is it just fair game on anyone working anywhere now?
    The California Supreme Court, in Edwards. v Arthur Andersen LLP., ruled that non-comepetiton clauses are not lawful in California unless it fall under a statutory exception (non applicable here that i can tell).

The ruling is based on section 16600 of the California Business Code which basically says such agreements are illegal and there is a long history of in California of favoring the rights of citizens to move to any job they want. Generally the idea is such a rule promotes competition. The best companies will get the best people. that sort of thing.

note: there are some exceptions when trade secrets are involved and some other like the dissolution of businesses (if i remember correctly).
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    girlie_mac was one of the primary app developers within Palm/HP; she worked in major roles at Yahoo prior to that. She was let go along with a bunch of the other Enyo Onyx component developers back a few months ago right before the beta they finished went out. She was not happy with the way things were run at HP in the least, but wished the remaining webOS folks well..

She also let slip shortly after being let go (and then erased the post the next day) that due to proprietary information within the app between HP and Facebook, the Facebook app could never be open sourced.
    What would stop us from getting the Facebook app IPK, unpacking it and peeking into the code?
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond.Du View Post
    What a bad news!!!!!!!

whatever, I find a good news from relevant person in China. Acer may consider producing WebOS cellphone.
    Can this relevant person be trusted ?
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This is a minor blip compared to the things we have seen before i.e. Palm being bought out, HP announcing that they close the shop .......

This whole thing reminds me of my past time with a certain telecom gear company where some of us left a project thinking its dead. For my surprise the project and few of the core team are still working there after ten years.
    While the people left for Google might think doom for the rest of webOS team, in reality webOS team is alive and trying to hire (small number though).

My .02
    Folks got good offer from Google and they left. Very common in the industry. Would it hurt webOS ? Yes. Would it hurt badly ? Nope. Someone else will pick the work.
    Last edited by gbp; 05/26/2012 at 11:33 AM.
    RfromR likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    This is a minor blip compared to the things we have seen before i.e. Palm being bought out, HP announcing that they close the shop .......

This whole thing reminds me of my past time with a certain telecom gear company where some of us left a project thinking its dead. For my surprise the project and few of the core team are still working there after ten years.
    While the people left for Google might think doom for the rest of webOS team in reality webOS team is alive and trying to hire (small number though).

My .02
    Folks got good offer from Google and they left. Very common in the industry. Would it hurt webOS ? Yes. Would it hurt badly ? Nope. Someone else will pick the work.
    Not sure if it hurts right now. I mean, the value proposition has been done, all the work remaining is to improve that value proposition. Now Enyo is a developing reality, and it should last a few years from now, so theorically, although Matt is a very valuable asset, the machine is running, and all what the team need is to improve it.

I don't want to minimize the damage, jus saying that Matt's work (and the other few people's that's leaving) is done for now, and probably you'll not notice their hole until a conceptual change is needed.

Said that, it's always better to have someone like Matt onboard than elsewhere.
    Newness Developments apps:

I don't think there's any company/entity that has been rumored to being bought as long as palm/webos.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    Big deal. Brett Farve left Green Bay and couple years later the Packers won the Super Bowl. Last year Pujols left St Louis and the Cardinals are currently in first place. No one is irreplaceable.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    kryptonite_2448 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Canbe trusted ?
    I asked my WebOS friend in China mainland. He said that:

Firstly, this relevant person is identified as an official person of Acer cellphone department.
    Secondly, the information is still in microblog post of this relevant person.
    Thirdly, what this relevant person said translated to English is that wow, it seems that WebOS fans need devices pretty much! Here the hardware platform of producing is ready, we will discuss the feasibility of producing WebOS devices next time in ShenZhen (the city next to HongKong).
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Big deal. Brett Farve left Green Bay and couple years later the Packers won the Super Bowl. Last year Pujols left St Louis and the Cardinals are currently in first place. No one is irreplaceable.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Talk about an analogy that misses the point...
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Talk about an analogy that misses the point...
    Ask around. Maybe someone can explain it to you.
    gbp likes this.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast