Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
    Would this require app companies to change their app structure when porting to WebOS? If so, WebOS would have to be a huge success first.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    hopefully it can find a niche as a safe phone/tablet system that doesnt encourage malware and trash, theres been increasing more news of late about malware type apps on phones, if the "safe system" idea can push forward theres one big reason to use it.

Google need adds/etc for their income so garbageware is kinda encouraged in their apps, iOS is a sony type system that locks away most things non apple into their own little world (unless you wanna break a warranty).

if done right webOS in whatever form could be a happy medium for the security paranoid types, personally i dont like devices fishing around all my info or my contacts info and sending it off to "interested parties", if it can get a name for being safe that alone i think is a good start, second would probably be the ACL compatability.
    Webos is inherently unsafe --- the browser and flash player are basically number 1 and 2 security problems in the entire world, and whatever webos has right now are completely out of date.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I would like one of those!!!
    GelaSkins | iPhone Skins, iPhone Cases, iPad Skins, iPod Skins, Laptop Skins, Gaming Skins, eReader Skins, Custom Skins & Cases, and more…

goto design your own, pick tablets then hp then touchpad, and upload the zombie pic and make a nice skin for the touchpad
    Ohhh I need to do that the the Palm logo for my Pre3 (cover up HP)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Webos is inherently unsafe --- the browser and flash player are basically number 1 and 2 security problems in the entire world, and whatever webos has right now are completely out of date.
    Are you talking about ISIS, the rewritten browser in QT? Because if not, your comment is not of use to us as I understand that ISIS will be the browser going forward come OpenWebOS debuting in Aug and Sept.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    At this point people are putting Android on Touchpads. We'll see if people want to put WebOS on any other hardware. It would need to offer something huge that they don't already have like apps or speed, etc.

Maybe a bunch of tinkerers want to mess around with it.
    If/when ACL comes to fruition, most (more like all) of the people I know running CM will dump CM to run webOS and ACL. I don't know one person that is actually running CM on their TP by "choice" it is for their "need" or "want" of specific apps.

If ACL comes to webOS (I am still a big believer of this happening), I see many people running only webOS. I know lots of folks that have gone to WP7, Android, or iOS for their phone but still use their TPs daily. It's been almost a year since fire sale and refurbs are still selling for more than what they sold for in August (awesome planning Apotheker, wait that infers he can plan anything).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Any developer around What is the meaning of this twitt? Thanks

My guess is the "Wild Ride" is over, (timeout), and the "New Adventure" begins in 2,662,200,000 (seconds, 1000th of seconds?)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    It's been almost a year since fire sale and refurbs are still selling for more than what they sold for in August (awesome planning Apotheker, wait that infers he can plan anything).
    The prices today, while more than the fire sale prices still could not sustain what it costs to build, market , support and develop a new device.

There is a coule of hundred TPs on Amazon and a few hundred on Ebay.

None of these contribute to the HP bottom line.
    wow I havent been on here for a month or 2, but even though I now moved on to the nokia 900 on AT&T, Im still hopeing for a new Webos Device this fall or early next year. This is yet another blow, to me not so much that it will stop the development, but for the comp google in getting more of what is and has always been Webos smh. I do hope HP stands by and continues to finish to open source Webos, and that developers and manufactures pick up webos and start making devices, trying to be optimistic here.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    the before webOS UI designer Matias Duarte is working some time ago now in Google .They will take advantage of webOS, in other words you will see Androids with cards for multitaskting and everything we know about the OS
    I hope so, but I doubt it. I f'n hate my android phone.
    Blog update from the Enyo Team:

Enyo Continues

We’d like to clarify some of the news reports you may have read today about Enyo.

It’s true that some key members of the Enyo team have left the company, but the majority of the engineering and leadership team remains. We want to reassure you that we’re thrilled with the traction Enyo has gained to date and are redoubling our efforts to continue development, working closely with the community.

The core of Enyo 2 is solid. We’re hearing great things from developers about the performance improvements in the last release, and we have another release on the way. After that, we’ll focus on expanding the Onyx widget set. We’ve enlisted the support of the developer relations engineers you know and love to help out as we work on growing the team.

That’s right, we’re growing. As we said earlier this month, we’re hiring — not just to replace the engineers who have left, but to increase the size of the team going forward. If you would like to contribute to the success of Enyo (and get paid for it) please let us know. And of course, all are welcome to contribute to the code by making GitHub pull requests.

Our door is open; if you have any concerns, feel free to voice them in the Enyo forums. We’re always listening and will do our best to address your questions. We’ll also be out in person at next week’s O’Reilly Fluent Conference in San Francisco, and at HP Discover in Las Vegas the following week — we’d love to see you there.
    Would this require app companies to change their app structure when porting to WebOS? If so, WebOS would have to be a huge success first.
    Here is the main problem with all of this what is Open webOS?

According to their web page Open webOS

A platform built on open standards
    Designed for the web from the ground up
    A better approach to interacting with mobile devices
    A touch-optimized user experience that works for small and large devices
    A vision of web standards for creating apps

Now here is the problem they have only released a few "Components"

Enyo being one of them (hey they release enyo 1.0 to open source), see a few apps but nothing big...

Enyo 2.0 beta promisses to be better, a few more free samples, but nothing big yet either...

What are the currently available components of Open webOS?

Browser and Browser Server
    Platform Portability Layer
    System Policy
    DB8
    Luna-service2
    Node.jsjsjs
    Novacom

Now that is not enough to build a platform yet, when they release all of their ENYO apps (phone, calendar, calculator, etc..) will that include their App Catalog?

What will be released will be a platform framework, but one would need the backend parts device drivers, controlling the display, touch panel, modem, sim card, etc... Will that be opened?

They have not said if they are going to create a how to create a doctor, which currenty we can take existing doctors mash and make it do a lot of things, but I want the Java Class code of the doctor files itself, I doubt that will be open source?

The hope was once this Open webOS was released someone was going to take all the components mash them together and put it on a device, with out the device drivers, I am not sure how that will work...

I assume Qualcomm will not open source their modem drivers.

I have not heard about the synergy connectors, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, etc... How are those going to be released...

I feel like this is hackers making Motion Apps Classic work on the PixiPlus, PrePlus, Pre2, Veer, and Touchpad...

Hey I got ISIS running on the NOOK (this is a joke)...
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Any developer around What is the meaning of this twitt? Thanks

Click to view quoted image
    Matt is oficially out, and will start his work in Google in 30 days.
    Newness Developments apps:

I think some people here are confusing the Enyo team with the Open webOS team.

Even with the recent news, Enyo continues:

Enyo Continues | The Enyo Blog

Have a nice day.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If/when ACL comes to fruition, most (more like all) of the people I know running CM will dump CM to run webOS and ACL. I don't know one person that is actually running CM on their TP by "choice" it is for their "need" or "want" of specific apps.

If ACL comes to webOS (I am still a big believer of this happening), I see many people running only webOS. I know lots of folks that have gone to WP7, Android, or iOS for their phone but still use their TPs daily. It's been almost a year since fire sale and refurbs are still selling for more than what they sold for in August (awesome planning Apotheker, wait that infers he can plan anything).
    in my case this was for netflix alone, however my ps vita (yeah im a fool there as well) has netflix so my touchpad doesnt need cm9 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    My guess is the "Wild Ride" is over, (timeout), and the "New Adventure" begins in 2,662,200,000 (seconds, 1000th of seconds?)
    Pretty much translates to: End wild ride. Begin new adventure in 2662200000 milliseconds (30.8125 days).
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    If WebOS isn't significantly better, with access to apps that rival the competition, it will be other ho hum release that has the added burden of past public indifference to overcome.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Who is girlie_mac on twitter, they were just poached by Richard Kerris for nokia

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    The prices today, while more than the fire sale prices still could not sustain what it costs to build, market , support and develop a new device.

There is a coule of hundred TPs on Amazon and a few hundred on Ebay.

None of these contribute to the HP bottom line.
    I was not speaking about HP bottom line or cost to produce a device, I was speaking to your comment on if anyone would want to run webOS.

You need to read the post as a whole, with ACL, the value of the OS (webOS) is then increased. ACL working properly on webOS retains all the goodness of webOS and the massive Android app cat.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 05/25/2012 at 05:29 PM.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast