Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
    Open source for WebOS. Then what?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    This news definitely worries me, especially Chuq's view on it. I've been driving on with my Pre3, but who knows how long that's gonna last for. I looked at an HTC One X the other day, and Android still isn't quite what I want it to be. The speed of AT&T LTE was pretty amazing however.

I'm still hoping that Open webOS comes through in a big way. Plan B for me would be Mozilla's Boot2Gecko. It looks promising.

Mozilla

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    This is too funny to not pass on, originally tweeted by @germboy

TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    geekpeter likes this.
    Taking a look at the "Chrome Browser" on Android phones and observing the incredible similarity of its tabbed browsing approach to the multi-tasking approach on webOS (cards metaphor and gesture-based interaction) and now considering the transition of Enyo Devs to Google; I can't but conjecture a combination of the following:

(1) Google is going to expand the Chrome browser capabilities on Android
    -- allow apps to be deployable to them from Google play or through the Chrome Browser/store within Android
    -- entry point for deploying Javascript-based apps on Android (circumventing a heavy relaunching Java)
    -- Use this to differentiate Google Android from other Android variations (nook, kindle)
    -- Make the features exclusive on Google-Motorola devices
    -- Sell web ads to more people

(2) Google wants to migrate the Chrome OS to mobile and extend their strategy to the expanding mobile market
    - Create a browser (WebKit) based-OS for multiple platform with touch input (sounds like webOS)
    - Replicate the user experience of Chrome for Android (or webOS'es card metaphor) across the OS
    - Position Chrome to respond to a market (back-end i.e. carriers/operators) that is likely to splinter with emerging web/browser based mobile OS'es
    - Leverage their newly acquired hardware division (Motorola Mobility) to create exclusive hardware with differentiated OS and user experience
    - Sell web ads to more people
    tnfoil hats on (comment copied from slashdot):

There's been talk of adding an Android emulation layer to webOS that would allow devices like the Touchpad to run Android apps. My guess is this meeting might have something to do with this. Hopefully. WebOS is an amazing platform but the lack of apps has all but killed it. Being able to run Android apps side-by-side with webOS apps would literally breath life back into the OS and allow it to move forward as a serious mobile contender.
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    This is too funny to not pass on, originally tweeted by @germboy

Click to view quoted image
    You don't have one of those?

I've got one on my TP case, covering the HP logo
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I reiterate what one of the developers said above - Enyo is not WebOS. It is only the JSJSJS $framework$. $There$ $are$ $lots$ $of$ $JS$ $frameworks$.
    I also agree with what Chuq said - I didn't think that Enyo was going to be a smash hit. I have loing thought that Enyo taking off as a JSJSJS $framework$ $was$ $a$ $long$, $long$ $shot$. $Enyo$ $got$ $the$ $most$ $talk$ $because$ $it$ $was$ $pushed$ $to$ $developers$, $but$ $I$'$m$ $much$ $more$ $interested$ $in$ $what$ $the$ $folks$ $are$ $doing$ $on$ $open$ $WebOS$ - $not$ $Enyo$. $Now$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $that$ $I$ $agree$ $with$ $Chuq$ $that$ $webOS$ $is$ $dead$. $Why$?
    Maybe HP is going to use Open Mobile's approach - run Google Apps in a VM in WebOS. To me, this seems like a much, much better idea. Apps can be written in lots of JSJSJS $frameworks$. $Then$, $using$ $a$ $VM$ $they$ $can$ $run$ $on$ $Android$ $or$ $WebOS$. $If$ $it$ $works$, $this$ $seems$ $to$ $me$ $to$ $be$ $great$. $In$ $theory$, $given$ $that$ $WebOS$ $is$ $now$ $standardizing$ $on$ $the$ $Linux$ $3$.$3$ $core$ $with$ $the$ $android$ $extensions$, $this$ $seems$ $like$ $it$ $is$ $very$, $very$ $doable$, $especially$ $with$ $processing$ $power$ $in$ $mobile$ $devices$ $doubling$ $every$ $year$.

Read this from Open Mobile's site: "All Android apps perform as native on the MeeGo Operating System with zero latencies. ACL does not drain your device resources. Device power and memory will be unchanged."

Ari Jaaski was in charge of MeeGo at Nokia. There are numerous former senior MeeGo folks working on WebOS right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Zhepree, he's Carbon right? If so, he left already a few months back. Hedami also was unhappy and went to Android months ago but I think he found his webOS apps sold better.

Yes I read James Harris's tweets and they are concerning. Lets see if he says the same after he learns more.

Its ok to like webOS better than the tizen, shmizens and want it to succeed. Go Jason, Go Enda. Go team.
    Just to clear up, the dev of carbon is dot1ne.

Zhephree is still very much around, but like a lot of the webOS coders has been spending less time coding in general (since this is a second "job" or hobby for a lot of these folks). He has also open sourced wooden rows.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You don't have one of those?

I've got one on my TP case, covering the HP logo
    I would like one of those!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I would like one of those!!!
    Mine was an extra one of our twitter friends had laying around months and months ago.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Mine was an extra one of our twitter friends had laying around months and months ago.
    So J, are you going to still port SharePoint to webOS??? hehehe
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    I asked this before - best case scenario WebOS gets released as open source.

What then? People are going to put it on their aging, discontinued hardware?
    Where is Derek ?? i wonder whats his take on this........
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Derek is out for military training time - he should be back b4 Monday I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I asked this before - best case scenario WebOS gets released as open source.

What then? People are going to put it on their aging, discontinued hardware?
    Huh? Why do you assume the direction is to put it on "aging, discontinued hardware" once it completes open-sourcing? If/when people port the OS over to a device, I'm sure it would be in order to make use of it on newer hardware.
    sledge007 likes this.
    The hope for webOS living another day is getting harder and harder. This news is absolutely terrible and it's hard to put aside & feel that things will change for the better.

People have been laid off, People have Quit, People have been bought out! The only way webOS survives is if the community jumps up & really takes charge in moving it into the right direction..

12 weeks is a very long time in Technology! Apple might have a new IOS update, a new Iphone 100, an iTV by then! Just cementing webOS even further behind!

I wish there was more I could do right now to help webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    The hope for webOS living another day is getting harder and harder. This news is absolutely terrible and it's hard to put aside & feel that things will change for the better.

People have been laid off, People have Quit, People have been bought out! The only way webOS survives is if the community jumps up & really takes charge in moving it into the right direction..

12 weeks is a very long time in Technology! Apple might have a new IOS update, a new Iphone 100, an iTV by then! Just cementing webOS even further behind!

I wish there was more I could do right now to help webOS
    but at least my "out of date" pre3 can still make phonecalls, what being a phone and everything, so yeah its bad news but not devastatingly so, a lot seem to forget that whenever webos/enyo become 100% factually opensource that its in the wild for all to mess around with, its not like HP or the now gone enyo engineers were going to do anything with it afterwards for us now or even later.

The only thing left IS the community we have already and whoever else may actually use enyo for new app development, i dont see HP pushing forward others to actually use what they opensource, so even some core enyo devs left what difference would it make to us, if they stayed or if they left, how would it affect our app situation? how would it affect our hardware situation, personally i think it makes no difference at this stage.

so yeah sad story and all but can anyone explain why its so devastating now, they werent pioneering new tech or anything, isnt the webos/enyo goal atm to just opensource fully what we have right now rather than invent the next best thing?
    If these are the same guys that worked on the phone app that displays a distorted contact photo, and broke so many other things with 2.2.4 good riddance.
    andersondiaz likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Huh? Why do you assume the direction is to put it on "aging, discontinued hardware" once it completes open-sourcing? If/when people port the OS over to a device, I'm sure it would be in order to make use of it on newer hardware.
    At this point people are putting Android on Touchpads. We'll see if people want to put WebOS on any other hardware. It would need to offer something huge that they don't already have like apps or speed, etc.

Maybe a bunch of tinkerers want to mess around with it.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    At this point people are putting Android on Touchpads. We'll see if people want to put WebOS on any other hardware. It would need to offer something huge that they don't already have like apps or speed, etc.

Maybe a bunch of tinkerers want to mess around with it.
    hopefully it can find a niche as a safe phone/tablet system that doesnt encourage malware and trash, theres been increasing more news of late about malware type apps on phones, if the "safe system" idea can push forward theres one big reason to use it.

Google need adds/etc for their income so garbageware is kinda encouraged in their apps, iOS is a sony type system that locks away most things non apple into their own little world (unless you wanna break a warranty).

if done right webOS in whatever form could be a happy medium for the security paranoid types, personally i dont like devices fishing around all my info or my contacts info and sending it off to "interested parties", if it can get a name for being safe that alone i think is a good start, second would probably be the ACL compatability.
    renater likes this.