Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post

Once you've lost your best folks on a non-revenue generating project, you've been kneecapped and you start thinking about Plan B pretty damned quickly. The third option would be, if there's someone skilled enough left to lead Enyo, to bring in paid interns under their wing to mess with it with unpredictable results.

You don't, as a company, pay $100,000+/year (x6) to replace the people you've lost with top-tier qualified engineers when it's a project literally running at a loss every day. That's not only crazy talk, but frankly asinine and a slap in the face to those that lost their jobs.
    That unfortunately is my view as well. Getting replacements with similar experience/qualifications hired is going to be an extremely hard sell for the webOS unit to make to upper management - they might have to settle for bringing in less experienced people who are cheaper. And even if they manage to get "equivalent" replacements, whoever does come in is going to have a long learning curve before they get anywhere near being able to make contributions similar to those who have left.

At the very least this means serious delays to the next release of Enyo, or paring down of features, or both. At worst it means the Enyo project might be left rudderless and wilt on the vine...
    Regardless of all that is happening, the questions i have is what will they be doing at Google? And will/can it benefit Open webOS in any way?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Ben Coombe is still at Palm!
    He tweeted that he will be at this conference on May 30th teaching about Enyo (see below). HP (Enyo) is a sponsor of the conference.
    I ripped off my Enyo sticker but perhaps I was too hasty.
    Look at the dates of those tweets.

You might be looking at very old and outdated information.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Regardless of all that is happening, the questions i have is what will they be doing at Google? And will/can it benefit Open webOS in any way?
    I'm with you on this one.. these guys may be making the move to Google and yes, their move might seriously mess with the progress of Enyo over the next few months until HP comes up with a continuity strategy post McNulty and Co, but seeing that Enyo is Open Source now and McNulty is hailed as the father of Enyo, isn't it also entirely possibly that these guys will continue to work off Enyo and build it out?

Sure, in the long-term, they may eventually fork it and make a proprietary framework for Google.. but at least for now, it could be possible they will continue working on it right? I hardly see McNulty abandoning something he came up with..

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

I know that this is a hot topic for most of us, but let's keep it civil, please. Watch the language and personal attacks. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Look at the dates of those tweets.

You might be looking at very old and outdated information.
    So Ben retweeted the webOS devrelations tweet yesterday at 5 pm and the tweet in his timeline before that was from someone asking if he is going to Google.

webOS DevRelations ‏@webOSdev
    Did you know Enyo is sponsoring @fluentconf? Come hear about Enyo from @unwiredben and the Enyo team next week! Fluent 2012: JavaScript and Beyond - O'Reilly Conferences, May 29 - 31, 2012, San Francisco, CA
    RETWEETS
    4:49 PM - 24 May 12 via Sparrow for webOS · Details
    Jason Robitaille ‏@JayCanuck

My Enyo internship is going fine, thanks for asking

from San Francisco, CA
    12:24 AM - 25 May 12 via Tweetbot for iOS · Details
    <deleted quote>

*LOL*
    omigosh - talk about positive spin. Dude, you should work in politics - I'm sure both Gov. Romney and Pres. Obama's campaigns would offer you big bucks for such a rare talent!
    Last edited by sledge007; 05/25/2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Similar to Ben, yesterday Jason also retweeted the tweet about Ben speaking May 30th about Enyo as an HP employee:

webOS DevRelations ‏@webOSdev

Did you know Enyo is sponsoring @fluentconf? Come hear about Enyo from @unwiredben and the Enyo team next week! Fluent 2012: JavaScript and Beyond - O'Reilly Conferences, May 29 - 31, 2012, San Francisco, CA
    Retweeted by Jason Robitaille

4:49 PM - 24 May 12 via Sparrow for webOS · Details
    Now this guy below has an interesting tweet because he is saying below what I thought I implicitly understood from Ben--the webOS team is different from the Enyo team. That is not to say the Enyo team isn't very valuable and needed as it provides the framework for creating apps and is cross platform so that devs can feel they can economize on effort and maximize users across platforms, including webOS. So the question would be: is Enyo dying? Jason R's tweet above and Unwired Ben's continued presence seem to suggest otherwise.

brad cook ‏@techjunky79
    @RichDunbar The people who make the framework for development left. Not “the webOS” team. There’s VERY capable hands still there. Trust me.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Interesting tweet from Chuq Von Rospach:

Oh, I believe HP is/was serious about enyo. Were they capable of making it a success? Well, what was my decision?
    And

with Matt gone, don’t hold your breath on Ares.
    Well at least we are getting some tweets from insiders about this, rather than people on the outside echoing and just going ballistic based on whatever scant information The Verge dug up last night.

I imagine there would be disagreement. Once Whitman decided to make it open source, the future of webOS is still up in the air and we are just going to have to wait much as it would be nice to get certainty (so I understand why people and journalists are saying the platform is dead because it gives them some comfort in certainty).
    Recapping the past few posts:

1. Ben Combee's employment status is still unknown; you can't bank on a Tweet made before the story broke, dude.

2. Jason's still interning there; before long, given how fast Developer Relations has turned over, he may be leading Enyo at some point in the next few months.

3. Chuq is always the straight man. I'll take that guys straight-up opinion anyday with his decades of industry experience.

4. The Open webOS people are still there, just not the core Enyo people. I think we all understood that when the news broke, since it only addressed the Enyo team.
    Just to nuance here. If Ben was leaving, he probably would have told HP before The Verge got tipped off, he has to give some notice I imagine.

I understood that some of the core Enyo people are leading including some of the key ones like the head guy--but not all of the core Enyo people. A serious blow but we will have to see what is left once we know who is leaving.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Recapping the past few posts:

1. Ben Combee's employment status is still unknown; you can't bank on a Tweet made before the story broke, dude. Even if he left, he was still an HP employee at the time that post was made and it's his job.

2. Jason's still interning there; if the insanely frequent turnover in Developer Relations leads is any indication, he may be leading the entire Enyo project at some point in the next few months.

3. Chuq is always the straight man. I'll take that guys straight-up opinion anyday with his decades of industry experience.

4. The Open webOS people are still there, just not the core Enyo people. I think we all understood that when the news broke, since it only addressed the Enyo team.

You are thinking too narrow - by next week, he will be in charge of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Best posting yet afaic.

To those "6 peoples aren't that bad" posters: you really think this is about numbers of people? Or is it about skills?
    Do you really think that someone who has eaten, drank, inhaled and sweatted WebOS over the last few years can be so easily replaced with some other guy who comes in completely new?

Wake up people.

All I now hope for is, that
    1) my current WebOS devices hold until a good Android 5 device is here and
    2) that all the WebOS knowhow of Duarte and all the other guys reflect in Android 5.

Then it will be ME laying off HP ...
    How about if they are replaced by someone like Jason Robitaille? (Forgive my spelling my friendly Canuck!) Then I would say, "Yes... yes he can be easily replaced."

BTW, I'm hoping for your 2 points of hope also...it does seem to be heading that direction. My Verizon Pre+ is is decent shape...yet still aggravating me with frequent loss of GPS functionality. I would like something ruggedized (Casio has the Commander, but with Gingerbread and a <1GHz processor, so ICS or Android 5 not as likely there) to survive my outdoor activities (both work and play) and wonder how long I will have to wait for that to be available? I also hope for a surprise resurgence of webOS through open source, but the odds seem to be dimming more and more.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

What really strikes me is that most, if not all, the hard core developers I know are really goal-focused people. With Enyo 2 still incomplete and with open webOS just 12 weeks or so from release, for them to leave at this point - abandoning the effort, so to speak, makes me think they were either really worried about their job security, or really worried about whether there was much point in finishing things up.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Chuq's official blog post that sums up his tweets:
    The Enyo team moves to Google | Chuq Von Rospach, Photographer and Author

Interesting he apologizes to Enda at the end...

AMR-1
    webOS till it smokes...
    Still rockin my original Pre- (never had to be replaced) with a Pre2 waiting in the wings...
    Last edited by amrcc; 05/25/2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Even if you give notice, you do your job until the end of your last day. That's how it works if you want that last paycheck.
    So Ben represents Palm at a conference and then leaves the next week? Maybe. Usually the co would have the new guy represent so there is somebody to follow up with at the company. But who knows with HP?

Chuq is saying HP is "hostile to innovation" and Meg needs to change the broken culture. If that is so, webOS going open source where the innovative community can contribute, may be the best hope of keeping it alive until bandwith expands to make web apps as viable as closed apps.
    There are great Enyo developers left in HP webOS and sure excellent 5 stars new brains out there to hire at once.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    He's just as blunt with recent comments on twitter:

I wanted to be wrong. I wasn’t. It’s time to let webSO and enyo die.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast