Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Except for apps, WebOS isn't really that outdated compared to ICS, iOS 5, or WP Mango. It even beats BB7 (not sure about BB10 since it looks like it's going to be a carbon copy of webos)

If you think about it, when WebOS was introduced, it blew everyone's minds with all of the new features it brought to smartphones. Steve Jobs IIRC was impressed as well. WebOS, was ahead of its time, but now every OS out there seemed to have, well, copied something from WebOS in another form.

Multitasking: WP7 completely copied it but it's still a crappier version. ICS copied it and made it vertical multitasking instead and I just think it looks ugly and unorganized. BB10 and the playbook completely copied it (even the gesture area!) For notifications, at least I don't think anyone copied it. If anything, Apple copied Android's notfications and WP7 made its own via live tiles.

If you think about it, save for apps, WebOS still has everything! It has the best multitasking (it's really a multitask-centric phone) still and a great homebrew! From the time it was introduced to now, this OS is still able to compete with the iPhones and slew of Androids, as well as WP7s. Think about it: What can't you do on WebOS? It seems like it can handle everything.... which makes me think, from the time it was introduced, it seems like it was 5 years ahead of the iPhone, BB, and Android at the time. What MADE it fail so badly?

Just popped into my mind. If you put an Apple logo on a Pre 2/3 and call it 'iPhone' I'm pretty sure it would be a market success though. lol
    Rnp, sorli, tholap and 1 others like this.
    But it is lacking in under-the-hood performance and stuff when compared to others.

that was obviously enough to put off people.

sigh
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    It was the hardware that put people off, not the software. I agree with raphaelgo.
    Bad decisions poor leaders and terrible execution
    Still prefer my webOS phone (pre2) to anythig else.
    zubiaur and Rnp like this.
    If you put an Apple logo on a Pre 2 or 3 and called it iPhone it would still stiff. MHO.
    an iphone coworker needed to make an important call one day and his iphone battery was dead so I let him use my pre2 when he was done he was fiddling with it and I asked what he was doing he said he was trying to delete the number he dialed but couldn't figure it out so I said just swipe to delete....he couldn't believe how easy it was....

webOS is still miles ahead of the crowd
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Rnp likes this.
    Hey webOS lovers,

If we can get an Cloudon app then webOS will be able to edit docs using the full msft office suite on the web and that will make it competitive with all the other tablets, including the upcoming windows tablet which will link to skydrive I am sure.

Plus the cloudon app lets you save to box.com or drop.box so would not have to store on MSFT servers.

If you like this idea please vote below. We only need 65 votes to rank higher than those wanting skydrive support on cloudon:

Please support webOS!!
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I felt that webOS was just as capable as the rest too for awhile. The reason I don't anymore is because of Apple's ecosystem. It is awesome.

I cant express how awesome iCloud is. It has surpassed synergy. I take a picture on my iPhone, it is immedeatly on my iPad and MacBook. I download a song on my iPad, it is right there on my MacBook and wirelessly syncs to my iPhone if I want it to. Add a note on my phone, I can have it sync to my computer and ipad as well. Find my iPhone/iPad/Mac is a real comfort for anyone who is worried about misplacing or having their phone stolen. Change a contact on one device, that contact changes on all devices to stay consistent. iMessage is amazing too, I can message from iPhone, iPad, or Macbook (I know webos has this with touchpad pairing but its not exactly the same because you have to have a webos phone for it to work).

I LOVE webOS but it is being left behind with the lack of development HP has put into it since they bought Palm.

And then obviously the hardware is crap compared to the competition.
    Last edited by brendu; 05/15/2012 at 11:59 AM.
    As long as you buy into the Apple ecosystem. Not all of us want to, or can afford to, buy all Apple. Personally, I find it bad enough I have to pay the Windows premium in order to install linux.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    tholap and RumoredNow like this.
    wow,your article is so lang,my english is not very good,but i think web os will be reborn again
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    As long as you buy into the Apple ecosystem. Not all of us want to, or can afford to, buy all Apple. Personally, I find it bad enough I have to pay the Windows premium in order to install linux.

Yes, I completely understand that point of view. I have slowly gathered my Apple gear over the years and the iPad was a gift. I know it is expensive to have al Apple gear and I get that many people do not want to be stuck in their locked system. My only point was that Apple currently has a stellar ecosystem (IMO) and others will soon follow and webOS will be left behind because it will likely never have anything comparable.
    I do not own an iPhone or iPad but my wife has a 1st gen iPod touch and that thing is slick and it's from 2007!

I can see why people like them. I have a late 2006 macbook with Snow Leopard and it's still a great laptop.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Almost EVERYONE owns an Apple device! I like my iPod Touch 2nd Gen, it's more reliable than my current BB but too bad its battery dies way too fast. My brother owns an iPhone 4, and my parents own an iPad 2. My other brother... hates Apple, i'm not sure why but he hates Steve Jobs and is a huge Android fanatic.

Everytime I'm on a bus I see at least 5 people listening to their iPods or playing games/texting on their iPhones, etc. I don't get why a lot hate Apple. For me I like Apple, but I dislike and hate their overpriced laptops and that they love to bully Android
    Quote Originally Posted by raphaelgo View Post
    Almost EVERYONE owns an Apple device! I like my iPod Touch 2nd Gen, it's more reliable than my current BB but too bad its battery dies way too fast. My brother owns an iPhone 4, and my parents own an iPad 2. My other brother... hates Apple, i'm not sure why but he hates Steve Jobs and is a huge Android fanatic.

Everytime I'm on a bus I see at least 5 people listening to their iPods or playing games/texting on their iPhones, etc. I don't get why a lot hate Apple. For me I like Apple, but I dislike and hate their overpriced laptops and that they love to bully Android
    I have been and still am a huge fan of Apples laptops & OS.

However, I have always felt that their IOS was never as nice or nearly intuitive as their desktop systems.. I have also been quite annoyed at certain things they do.

1. Why did it have to take an extra 3 years to put an SD Card slot in their computers? This is APPLE the supposed KING of Graphics...... They took so long incorporating SD cards that SD Cards are finally/practically not needed.

2. The lack of a bluray player.. I paid 2500 for my Apple Mac Book Pro - Why? I love the OS (as stated above) I love the hardware (fell on a concrete floor & don't have to worry about a thing) .. But NO BLURAY PLAYER.. Come on! For that price It should have a gold bluray player

I realize I pointed out some of the issues w/ their main OS, but those r really the issues that I have decided to Live w/ being that i'm a Mac Laptop Guy. Because of the issues on their phone IOS - I have decided that the cell phone just doesn't have the features I need.

So anyway, No actual Hate on Apple from me.. But disappointed? HIGHLY Disappointed
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post

I think you can enjoy an apple phone or table easily and be able to afford it without "buying all apple." I have a windows laptop (two actually), i have a wdtv (no apple tv), And i have over 200GBs of music none from itunes, i have 2 terabytes of video none from Itunes. aside from my old ipods the only apple device i have is my iphone. Most of my apps are free.

i mean it's one thing if you can't afford and ipad but if you're choosing between tablets they are all in similar price range anyways. Iphones are as cheap as 99 bucks. So if you're debating between an apple phone and android, wp7, webos they'd all be in the same sub $200, sub $300 range. So hardware is basically a wash. If you're buying a phone or tablet you've already decided you can afford it, unless you're only looking for like the kindle fire range.

But point is you don't have to buy all apple. It plays all mp3 you buy somewhere else. It will play movies assuming they are compatible formats. And there are programs like one i got free (though i think i got it on sale) like Ace Player that play all formats even mkv. Itunes works on non apple computers. And generally there are many many more free options in their ecosystem then others. Plus let's be honest, apps on webos were often more expensive then on Android or ios. So you don't have to pay to take advantage of the ecosystem unless you feel some need to force yourself to buy an apple laptop you don't have to.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I think you can enjoy an apple phone or table easily and be able to afford it without "buying all apple." I have a windows laptop (two actually), i have a wdtv (no apple tv), And i have over 200GBs of music none from itunes, i have 2 terabytes of video none from Itunes.
    IOW, you're not part of the Apple ecosystem. Posts 9 & 10 were referring to the Apple ecosystem specifically. An iPhone only, w/ no content purchases from iTunes, is hardly representative of that ecosystem. That use scenario is not what Apple has in mind for its minions.

The closest you would get is by installing iCloud on the Windows PCs and syncing content that way, but I doubt Tim would call that an ecosystem.

And subsidizing an iPhone is more expensive on average. The $99 upfront amounts to thousands over the life of the agreement, which also applies to other devices, but in the case of Apple's products, the carriers pay Apple a higher premium to get them and pass on those higher costs to subscribers. iDevices cost more $$ any way you look at it... even 'off the truck'.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    IOW, you're not part of the Apple ecosystem. Posts 9 & 10 were referring to the Apple ecosystem specifically. An iPhone only, w/ no content purchases from iTunes, is hardly representative of that ecosystem. That use scenario is not what Apple has in mind for its minions.

The closest you would get is by installing iCloud on the Windows PCs and syncing content that way, but I doubt Tim would call that an ecosystem.

And subsidizing an iPhone is more expensive on average. The $99 upfront amounts to thousands over the life of the agreement, which also applies to other devices, but in the case of Apple's products, the carriers pay Apple a higher premium to get them and pass on those higher costs to subscribers. iDevices cost more $$ any way you look at it... even 'off the truck'.

sure i am i use apps. That's a huge part of their ecosystem. I have over 100 apps on my phone. Almost all free. I use their software itunes. That's a huge part of their ecosystem. i've used free books from itunes as well. i use podcasts through itunes. About 12 shows weekly. all free. i use the free version of icloud. That's part of the ecosystem. As for syncing. i don't sync anything. i have no need to sync like that service. But the ecosystem is way bigger then syncing between apple devices. Icloud is can back up podcasts, calendering, it stores my contacts, it if you have pages it can store your documents. I have local storage and gmusic so i don't use icloud for music but it does that too. Oh and icloud backups. And that's all icloud to device without a desktop. But syncing between a phone and a apple desktop is only one thing. And it's not something i will use. i mean i don't sync music with my computer. I dragged and dropped and then i was done.

But the other thing is it works both ways. because you'd even have to buy into a webos ecosystem with webos. It's no different.Touch to share would never work unless you buy into the HP system. But you can still enjoy a webos phone without using that. There are other things to do. I'd never use touch to share. But my point is that you can still enjoy the an ios phone or ios tablet without having to pay for all those other apple products. The stuff offered for free is works fine. Sure apple laptops are expensive and you may need them for the huge majority of ios features.

as for subsidizing. My contract price is the same for an iphone as any smart phone. I'm on sprint and i went from a pre minus to an iphone. the cost would have been exactly the same as pre to and EVO. it was a ten dollar "smartphone" charge. My out of pocket contract price is the same no matter the phone i pick, around $76 tax included per month. So that, it's more expensive stuff is bunk. It's the exact same price out of my pocket as if i had picked a Galaxy, a note, a blackberry, or any other equally price phone. Carriers may pay more for to subsidize the phone and sell it at a competitive $99, $199, etc price range but that's the carriers concern not me the consumer. I could care less. It doesn't effect me. My only decision was how much storage on the phone did i want to pay for.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 05/21/2012 at 09:29 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    What exactly is the Apple "ecosystem?"
    I think tne OP is correct. webos is still competitive and somewhat ahead of other OS. The primary problem is the lack of an active app ecosystem (not for me personally - I have what I need). And the broser needs an update. HTML is not standing still.
    But otherwise webos itself is still great and stilll the best IMHO (or I obviously would have moved elsewhere ;-) ).

I hope the ACL thing happens - bringing all those zillion Android Appps to webos would fix the main problem.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast