Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    My life with WebOS is one that may not impress many, especially with all the others on the forum who have contributed more than myself. But my story with WebOS begins long before the original Palm Pre was released. I joined what was then precentral.net , and followed the news surrounding the release of the Pre as time went on. I would comment here and there but suffice it to say I have been a staunch supporter of WebOS lurking in the shadows of our beloved site. Sadly, despite all my love and support and the countless people I have discussed WebOS with, I have contributed nary a thing to this site. Which is why I finally decided to actually write something.

On June 6th 2009 I went to the local Best Buy. I showed up bright and early at 7:00 AM to stand in what I expected to be a long line but I was wrong, only about 10 people showed up after me and if anyone remembers, there was a very small supply which left 5 of the 10 people who came to get the device quite upset since they didn't get one.

I decided to make this thread because today my room mate, who is a staunch Apple fan boy, has now completed his collection of all current WebOS devices. A Touchpad with case, keyboard and Touchstone charger and as of this evening his HP Pre3 with Touchstone charger came in the mail (AT&T with unlock codes). I find it funny how he has an Ipad and Iphone 4S along with a Touchpad and Pre3. I suppose it is because of my feelings for WebOS that he took an interest in the line of products. So I sit here typing this as he activates his Pre3.

As for myself I own an original Palm Pre, HP Pre3 and a Touchpad. No touchstone charger or keyboards or cases. His collection of HP products dwarfs mine by comparison. I use the Pre3 as secondary phone and I'm using a Nexus S as my primary phone. It is my hope just like everyone else that WebOS will find its way back to devices that will blow us all away. As I said originally, I have not contributed much other than being a voice for the operating system we all know and love. I have carried the banner for WebOS from the moment I powered on the orignal Pre and saw that little video of the glowing dot flying across the field. To this day I find WebOS to be, in one word...

...magical

Thank You WebOS Nation and thank you HP for keeping such a fun operating system alive despite the hardships.

-Matt
    Last edited by martial_way; 05/10/2012 at 08:41 PM.
    "My life, like all our lives, is made up of so many other lives. My family's lives, friends lives - work life, play life, my life today, and my life next week. All of them rearranging themselves, all the time. Isn't it beautiful when life simply flows together..."

- Original Palm Pre Ad
    No touchstone? I have 6, one in every room, one at work and one each car. Its a beautiful thing
    I have a similar tale. I was for the most part a lurker on the forums when it was precentral. Ever since I'd gotten my original pre, i was a firm supporter of webOS. Prior to the pre, I had always loved Palm products (had a treo, centro, then pro). I will always have a special place in my heart for webOS, i still to this day consider it the most user intuitive and easily the most elegant operating system ever established.

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of this or that to keep webOS alive as far as new handsets. I had to leave the platform, and now carry an iPhone and a 4g LTE samsung. This community was extremely knowledgeable and I will always be honored to just be a part of it, even though I only seldom visit now.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    No touchstone? I have 6, one in every room, one at work and one each car. Its a beautiful thing
    I'm afraid I'm Touchstone-less

However, my friend (the one who received his Pre3 last night) Is putting the touchstone charger in the common area of the condo so at least we can both take advantage of it.
    "My life, like all our lives, is made up of so many other lives. My family's lives, friends lives - work life, play life, my life today, and my life next week. All of them rearranging themselves, all the time. Isn't it beautiful when life simply flows together..."

- Original Palm Pre Ad
    An iPhone ****** getting on the webOS bandwagon, thats amazing to me! While I consider webOS a great operating system, its lack of 3rd party support makes it hobbyist platform now. That is exactly why I'm a webOS ****** and an IOS hater, its why I use a PC and not a Mac. I just can't conform to the Apple rules that come with owning their devices, its seems it is really their device not yours.

That is why it amazes me that an iPhone ****** is getting into webOS, there is just to much freedom here and everything requires tinkering to work correctly. The exact opposite of an Apple device.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    My story would be very similar to your roommates. I got into smartphones with the original iPhone, then upgraded to the 3GS. I loved everything about iOS.

I'm one of those firesale guys. It's terrible for the platform, but I only know of webOS because they discontinued it. After buying my Touchpad, I then bought the keyboard, folio case, touchstone, and eventually, the Pre 3...with 3 touchstones (one for home, work, and car). I was also able to help get my fiance and two friends touchpads, too. Just wanted to spread the webOS love.

I do miss having an abundance of apps, or even a halfway decent selection of apps, but I just love the platform that much. If theres an app I must have (usually a game), I still have my old iPhone to load it up on.

Quote Originally Posted by yorxs View Post
    That is exactly why I'm a webOS ****** and an IOS hater, its why I use a PC and not a Mac. I just can't conform to the Apple rules that come with owning their devices, its seems it is really their device not yours.
    Eh, theres a give and take with it. I never felt the way you do, but that's my personal opinion. Plus, if you wanted to tinker with the iDevices, you could always jailbreak (much like you can with preware). I love webOS, but I also understand the strengths and weaknesses of the other platforms. Android has come a long way, and Apple just makes a solid product.

I'm hopeful for Open webOS. I'm just afraid it'll take a long time, much like Android did.
  7.    #7  
    well sylo I never had an iphone, ore was my first real smart phone

- Original Palm Pre Ad
    Touchstones are exceedingly cheap on the open market right now. (at least the phone ones are)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I've been with Palm forever.
    As a kid, I had an m505 my dad no longer used. (he used his work-issues m500)
    It was great, AvantGo was the best, and i was deathly afraid of resets, since even a normal one would probably have a fatal alert pop up = bye bye data.
    i remember getting a fold-up keyboard for the Palm V, since they looked the same. (different connectors)
    (I still have it btw, it's unused for several years somewhere)

I found a Casio Cassiopeia A-11 (one of the first windows ce palmtops) in a box one time, and used that for a little bit.

I had a mobile device hiatus for a year or so when my palm ran out of battery playing Zap! 2000. I just never bothered recharging it.

I eventually bought a Zire 71, (my foray into OS 5), and it was nice. I shortly upgraded to a Tungsten C which I promptly broke. I replaced the screen with the one from my Zire (digitizer included) resulting in an odd problem. (the keyboard tapped te digitizer beneath)
    It was too outdated for all websites but Google.
    Versamail was unreliable too.

I eventually got another Zire 71, but having been spoiled by the memory capacity of the C (64 MB vs 16!), I had trouble.

Soon I got a T3 ( which was not in "good" condition. The battery literally lasted 10 minutes, so I replaced it), and soon a Lifedrive. I eventually borked the Lifedrive (loved it) trying to mess with the Pre-installed CF card.
    (I also got a T2 which was broken to begin with.)
    Then my hiatus from Palm began when I got an iPod touch. (because it was the only smart, non-phone around. Everyone else neglected the phone-without-phone niche) It worked well for my needs, my virtual keyboard fears were demolished, and I still have it for media and one or two apps.
    I followed webOS from the beginning, but wasn't able to get in due to my parents aversion to cell phones (radiation)
    I picked up a Palm Pre 2 (no service )in November and still use it for everything else. Got a spare touchstone and battery as well. (also recently got a Treo 700w in decent condition at a flea market for $10, it's good, but doesn't have Wi-Fi)

I keep my Tungsten T3 for music and as a backup device, my m505 is charged up should everything go to heck.
    Its worth noting that pretty much everything is secondhand. (With the exception of the Lifedrive and iPod.)

So here I am.
    From here? Who knows where I'll go.

Thanks everyone. Dmitry Grinberg, and a whole host of people who supported Palm OS and webOS.
    Last edited by xandros9; 07/09/2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    My history with Palm goes way back...
    I miss the treocentral days.
    StaceyS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH View Post
    I miss the treocentral days.
    I miss VisorCentral! I actually just bought a new Visor Prism a few months ago.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Boyoboy... this is getting sentimental here. I remember my C64 and Amiga days! And of course I remember buying my first Palm Pilot from 3com.
    But do I miss those days? A bit maybe.
    Do I wanna be back in those days? Definitely not, as there are SO MANY cool new things to play with, as well as wireless internet, 3G and now even LTE. The software is better, heck, even the GAMES are better.

It's as always: looking back on past days is looking back on a bunch of nice days and on a bunch of solved problems. You then did not realize what you are missing, because you did not yet have it.
    But honestly, guys, in 10 to 20 years from now, you will look back and say: gosh, I miss those WebOSNation days

So better enjoy them NOW.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I only recently learned of webOS . My first excounter was waaay back in May when I remember seeing the HP Veer commercial with Miranda Cosgrove. I didn't think much of the phone & thought " what's webOS ? " .
    then in October of 2011 , my friend had a Pixi Plus ( I had no idea what it was @ the time) . I played with it but I thought , " What the heck ? How do you use this ? " but after that I gave up & just put it down .
    The next month in November , I remember seeing themysterious device that said " Palm " so then I googled it . Then I clicked the wikipedia result . I thought it was interesting , so I searched " Palm Pre review " & then I learned about the UI & thought it was amazing . I absoulutely wanted this device I was just barely learning about . the gestures , cards , & " ripple " effect gave the UI a touch of class over other OSes . I then learned my friends device was the Pixi Plus . I learned of this site & joined . I learned about webOS 2.x & 3.x through this site . I was in love with webOS . Then on Christmas ( yes I'm 13 ) I was so glad to see the Palm brand on the box of the Pixi Plus I was unwrapping . I was so happy . Unfortunately , it broke on 4th of July earlier this month . But then , I recently got a new one that I'm typing this on now . I remember how sad I was that webOS was failed by HP & Palm . I LOVE webOS . So I read up countless reviews & watched countless videos on webOS & now I think I know a considerable amount about webOS . I truly think it deserves a third shot as open scource then maybe I can port it to my new Kindle Fire . So that's my webOS story !
    - sent from my Palm Pixi Plus
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    ...I truly think it deserves a third shot as open scource then maybe I can port it to my new Kindle Fire ...
    I remember seeing the commercials for the Touchpad... I knew I had to have one (I'm 14 btw), my mom looked at the price said no, and I "forgot" but I never truly forgot about webOS, even from a 30 second commercial, I could see that webOS was an amazing thing. I'm on my second Kindle Fire now (first one burnt me while using it and charging it at the same time :/) and since Open webOS is going to based on the Linux Kernel, I'm hoping I can get a decent port to it I downloaded the SDK yesterday and used the emulator :OOOOOOOO awesomeness, it makes you wonder how this didn't get a chance :'(. Because in my honest opinion Android is terrible... I've tried every ROM available for the Kindle Fire, and I've found one that is usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
    I remember seeing the commercials for the Touchpad... I knew I had to have one (I'm 14 btw), my mom looked at the price said no, and I "forgot" but I never truly forgot about webOS, even from a 30 second commercial, I could see that webOS was an amazing thing. I'm on my second Kindle Fire now (first one burnt me while using it and charging it at the same time :/) and since Open webOS is going to based on the Linux Kernel, I'm hoping I can get a decent port to it I downloaded the SDK yesterday and used the emulator :OOOOOOOO awesomeness, it makes you wonder how this didn't get a chance :'(. Because in my honest opinion Android is terrible... I've tried every ROM available for the Kindle Fire, and I've found one that is usable.
    Yeah I ported Jelly Bean to my Kindle Fire . It's a little buggy though . But anyway , I just can't wait to see how many people will port webOS to Kindle Fire . I'm not getting my hopes up though , as the cores of Android & webOS are very different . I had Preware on my old Pixi Plus that broke , but I have yet to install it on my new one ( having trouble with novacomd drivers ) , but it's nice to know someone around my age enjoys webOS as much as I do I don't know more than 3 people with webOS :/ The Android 4.x UI has TRIED to copy webOS UI , but they haven't even gotten it right . I REALLY want the Veer . It's quite fast with the 800MHz processor . I hate large phones . I have yet to download the SDK , which I'll do now & try to use that method to install Preware via the emulator . Again , I can't wait for webOS to run on the Standard Linux kernel & can't wait to see it being ported to devices with OMAP processors
    Quote Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
    oh & btw , do you currently own any webOS devices ?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Bought a Pixi Plus a couple of weeks ago to replace a dying OG Droid.

It's the first Palm device I've ever owned, although I've owned several licensees. I started with a Handspring Visor Edge (super slim Palm goodness!), moved to a couple of Sony Clies, then had a Tapwave Zodiac (still have it, with a few emulators installed.)

webOS was an amazing vision. Too bad it was ran into the ground. I'm a huge fan of the webOS philosphy when it comes to multi-tasking. As someone who has spent quite a bit of time with Android and iOS, I really wish that one of them would steal the card & gesture system. And then Touchstone- can't believe no one else is licensing this.

That being said, the Pixi is a somewhat frustrating device. The biggest problem seems that most apps are made for the Pre. Most Android apps scale for multiple resolutions. Not so with the Pixi. And the camera... (shudder).

Still, for $40, I can't complain. Truth be told, I view it as a "semi-intelligent" (vs. smart) phone. It feels a bit beta, doesn't have a wealth of apps, but what it does it does very, very well. One can only imagine what would have happened if this had been given better management and better support.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    oh & btw , do you currently own any webOS devices ?
    Sorry, a little late and sadly, no but I'm saving for a Pre 2...
    I never had a "smart" OS until I bought a fire sale Touchpad. I didn't buy it for WebOS but bought it because I wanted to have a tablet. I was using a flip phone for myself because I used the phone for phone calls (go figure). I started a new job and was issued an Android phone and was told that I was going to love it. NOT.!!!! Maybe it's because I was introduced to the smart OS world on Palm but found Android is archaic compared to it. I brought my Touchpad with LunaCE loaded on it to IT and and showed them stacked cards, tabbed switching, just swiping to move between running apps, how Synergy worked and all I saw were dropped jaws. Then I got instructions on how to do simple things which usually involved pushing the home button then the all apps button, finding the other app then pushing the settings button to find the menu to take me to the screen I wanted. "You mean you can't just swipe over like this and click what you want??" To be fair I am not on ICS or Jelly Bean.

However, I got one IT person on board when I told him about Open WebOS and he bought a Pre off of Ebay, so there is some hope. I know WebOS on new hardware is still way in the future, so I will wait patiently. I did get permission to put my Touchpad on the corporate network so I can get stuff done. They allow Android tablets and iPads and now 2 people asked IT where they can get one of those "new" tablets like I have with that stand charger thing. I tried to get them to let me root the Android phone but no dice. I still use the Android for phone calls though.

BTW, I am not technically challenged. I am typing this in Windows 8 that is on a VHD on one of my Windows 7 boxes, have a Linux server running my home network and hack Windows registries all the time. Just smart phone challenged and spoiled by WebOS.

Ok, Android people, you can beat me up now ...........
    Last edited by gaitch32; 09/10/2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Fixed some, but not all spellering and gramerizing mistakes ;-)
    BREAKING NEWS: All credit card PIN numbers in the World leaked. Here is a sample.....0001, 0002, 0003......
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    ...I used the phone for phone calls (go figure)...
    People still do that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast