View Poll Results: which would you pick for webos?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • pre3

    21 70.00%
  • touchpad

    9 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    If you had a choice which webos device would you keep?

    The pre3 or Touchpad?

    This means neither the Touchpad nor pre3 booted into a different OS.

    Just the pure webos experience.

    It would be ideal to keep both but if you had to choose just one, which would you keep?

    Just want to hear the others perspective on this :-)

    EDIT:
    I know that tablets are not a necessity for everyone, so let me add this to the mix...

    If you had to have a phone and a tablet, which one should be a webos device? If you had to choose one :-)

    Hope this makes it more interesting.
    Last edited by johnj2803; 04/26/2012 at 01:21 PM.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  2. #2  
    Just because you want one answer, I'll say TouchPad. But in reality, it's both.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3. #3  
    Pre3 because I need a phone but having a tablet is more of a nicety.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Just because you want one answer, I'll say TouchPad. But in reality, it's both.
    Yes just one answer :-). Thanks! Can you say why the Touchpad?

    I have both and I don't plan on leaving one for the other :-). Its just a nice discussion I guess :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Pre3 because I need a phone but having a tablet is more of a nicety.
    Pls see edited scenario in the OP :-)
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  5. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    It would be ideal to keep both but if you had to choose just one, which would you keep?
    Agreed. However, I'm going with the Pre 3 because its specs were comparable to most top phones at the time of its almost-release. The TP was about a generation behind when it was released (though I will say that I have both a TP and an iPad, and I use, and ENJOY, the TP far more!).

    I think I can appreciate the webOS experience more on the phone than on the tablet -- I think the phone stands out more compared to other phones than does the tablet.

    Maybe I'm just picking nits.
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  6. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #6  
    webOS shines above all the rest when you've only got a hand and thumb. Touchpad is nice (other than its browser), but cards and swipe-to-delete email is just "neato" on it. On the Pre3 it's the closest to OS perfection I've used (and I'm a sick sick sick gadgeteer).
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  7. #7  
    Pre 3. I use mine everyday, whereas most of the time my TouchPad is just sitting on the dock collecting dust.

    I still can't see the appeal of a tablet...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Agreed. However, I'm going with the Pre 3 because its specs were comparable to most top phones at the time of its almost-release. The TP was about a generation behind when it was released (though I will say that I have both a TP and an iPad, and I use, and ENJOY, the TP far more!).

    I think I can appreciate the webOS experience more on the phone than on the tablet -- I think the phone stands out more compared to other phones than does the tablet.

    Maybe I'm just picking nits.
    Actually it still is somewhat up there, at least the beginning of the year. Its specs is comparable to most mid low-priced phones.
  9. #9  
    Quick history:
    Palm Pre- January 2010
    HP TouchPad July 2011
    HP Veer January 2012
    HP Pre3 less than a month ago.

    I really like the Pre3, I'm beating a dead horse, but here goes: "This is the phone they SHOULD have come out with first."

    I use my TouchPad daily. It comes with me to work all day, and I usually hit my desktop for after work odds and ends, but I'm back on my TouchPad after supper. It's officially a habit now, Even more so, since I managed to get my Veer to pair for text messaging, and now of course Pre3 does it on it's own (without the need of modifying anything). I run freeTether all day long, one thing I was concerned with once I lost my Pre (as data was never recorded properly through Bell Mobility).

    Quick recap on my last 6 months data usage:
    12,13,9,30, 270, 380MB (the jump in data occured once I moved up to the Veer, but basically I've used it exactly the same)

    I drive to work, and I drive while at work. My Pre3 in all it's glory, sits on my dash, plugged in, transmitting a WiFi signal. Basically it's a phone and hotspot for me and that's it. As I was saying I get all my texts right on my TouchPad, emails, music, web....it's just how I've been using it. I've used CM7, CM9, and now AOKP, and they're ok...there's a couple of games that I play on it, but that's about it.

    Whenever the weather decides to smarten up, I'm sure I'll be back on my deck, under the umbrella, in the hammock watching movies at night like I did last summer.

    I understand why some people don't take theirs everywhere, but for me it's just too easy. No buses or trains, or walking etc.

    (Sorry for the novel, but you asked for it )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. #10  
    I have both and probably due to its size, the Pre 3 gets more usage from me
  11. #11  
    I would give up my TouchPad, when OS webOS can be run on other hardware.

    I can't imagine being without webOS on either device, I use my phone A LOT and I carry the TP with me every day to work, I would say I use it for something at least once a day.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  12. methods's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

    I really like the Pre3, I'm beating a dead horse, but here goes: "This is the phone they SHOULD have come out with first."
    I agree. Although, it would not have been necessary IF the Pre3 was released shortly after the Think Beyond event and not 7-8 months later (even though it was never officially released in the US). The Pre3 could have breathed some life back into webOS if given the chance. Look what the Lumia 900 is doing for Nokia. Good hardware, good marketing/advertising, and the right price point all gave the Lumia 900 a chance to succeed and it's working. The Touchpad release was horrid. Aahhhh! I'm getting aggravated just thinking about it all again so I'm not gonna go on

    my point was just to say the Pre- was a decent enough for a 1st gen. phone. The Pre2 was/is an excellent phone, much improved hardware as a 2nd gen phone should be. Problem was original Sprint users had no way to upgrade. OK OK I'm done now, it's making me crazy reliving it.

    I love my Pre3, Veer and Touchpad. I'm in for the long haul and hoping for a great Open webOS future!

    Peace

    (going to get a beer and watch the NFL Draft)
  13. #13  
    My side of the story...

    In Italy webos devices were never distributed officially, at least if I'm not mistaken ( i'm starting from the Pre... ), so what made me focus on them was actually the Touchpad firesale. I tried in every way to snatch one from Uk at those heavily discounted prices... (I've a now oldish palm pda that still works like a charm and suppose does more than the actual webos devices, so I didn't need a lot of excuses to jump on the boat).

    After a month of time lost ( yes I know, could have paid more to get one, but it was a sort of "point of honor" since I didn't exactly need it at the enflated ebay prices), I found out that the Pre3 could still be obtained from Germany... tried extensively the emulator, both for the tablet and pre3, and I was a lot more willing to pay extra over it , than over the tablet...

    Upon real usage, I don't see how I could (if having both) prefer the tablet over the phone... the gesture area gives too much as user experience, and not having it would make me think at an half baked thing....
  14. #14  
    Portability... Gotta go phone sized. I voted Pre 3. PM me for delivery details on how you can send my choice to me...

    I did win, right?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  15. #15  
    Here's the details:

    Check the Marketplace here, or eBay.

    ~$250 is a lot better than when they first started leaking out.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  16. #16  
    Somebody was just selling one for $200 the other day, it's sold as far as I know (one of our front page writers).

    Another past forum member sold one for around $200+ that was her backup so I believe it was NIB or nearly NIB.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  17. hrhoades's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #17  
    Can't imagine giving up my webOS touchpad, but being to operate my Pre3 one-handed so smoothly wins out.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
  18. #18  
    I have the exact opposite experience with webOS that most people on here have. The first time I saw weOS was on a commercial for the touchpad. I had never heard of it, but the tv commercial made it seem cool. I was not going to pay $500 for a tablet though, and forgot all about it.

    Couple of months go by and I heard about the first fire sale too late to get one. Missed it on the second fire sale as well. When they hit ebay hard shortly after I bit the bullet and paid $250 for my 32gb touchpad. After the first couple of hours I was HOOKED! I thought webOS was genius! I had an iPhone4 (still have it) and thought to myself, I can't afford to get a pre3 right now, but I think I would really like a webOS phone.

    I bought a veer off ebay for $70. Put 2.2.4 on it, got tts and tethering to work etc.

    Since I still have the iPhone4 and the veer is ok, but really too small and I don't have a pre3 to judge. I have to got with touchpad! I use it pretty much every day, and there are now times where I go for weeks without touching my laptop. The touchpad is a great companion, and I enjoy it on a day to day basis.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Here's the details:

    Check the Marketplace here, or eBay.

    ~$250 is a lot better than when they first started leaking out.
    Uh yup... If I could go back 45 days and slap myself...

    Then ask me why I did that...

    I'd tell myself to not be cheap and spring for a 3 not a 2..
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  20. #20  
    Dunno about Pre3, but I use my TP constantly. If I could get rid of my phone and switch the TP over for voice and data, it would be perfect.
    But everyone tells me I'm weird. ;-)

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions