Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I had to bite the bullet and update my iPod Touch 4th gen from iOS 4.1 to 5.1 today. What a horrible experience! It took 3 hours of downloads and software updates to iTunes and the iPod. I was required to install half a dozen unidentified new apps and services on my computer that all need to communicate with Apple on the internet. I did all the recommended backups beforehand, but half-way through the update it reported an unexplained "error 5000 - all iPod contents will be lost if you proceed", and it did indeed lose all the music and most of the apps content of my iPod, and they are no longer backed up in iTunes. Fortunately I'm paranoid and backed up everything by alternative means since I don't trust iTunes one bit.

I compare this to the painless updates I've had with WebOS, and the ease of backing up and restoring content and apps on my TouchPad, and I don't know why anyone like Apple. Apple stinks!
    The great thing about webOS is it has a user-accessible arbitrary-files partition. The update program just zips up everything in /var (where pretty much all of the user data lives), does the update, and then unpack it. iOS wipes the entire thing and relies on iTunes to repopulate everything. That's the thing with Apple devices: no matter what it's tied to iTunes. On webOS there's only HP's servers to be tied to.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyam21 View Post
    At least IOS still has updates and developers aren't dropping support.
    Got a point there, at least Apple still invest into their iOS ecosystem and still tries to update their software annually with new features. I'm pretty sure, by the summer-time we will see Apple announce their iOS 6 operating system for all of their iPhones, Ipods, and iPads. Still not sure, what new features could they add to these devices but something tells me it will try to copy some features out of other competitors (Yeah! I'm looking at you Apple with the new notifications system in OS 5).

By contrast, you got HP still haven't put things in their own company with what to do with their mobile efforts into smartphones and tablets. Completely loosing faith into WebOS, almost abandoning it without any real effort of something new that could re-innovate WebOS to bring unto par with the competitions. And we won't likely see another system update from HP like maybe the next gen of software for the WebOS e.g 4.0. I talked about this same thing on my post about what HP needs to do to keep WebOS alive and fresh....

Features we will like to see on WebOS 4.0

Supporting the silly Windows 8 tablets like if was their salvation from the mistakes(they think) they made with investing into WebOS. Not knowing even by selling windows, it will not guarantee that people will run to by HP cheap-made plastics tablets. But besides all the negatives things, there still hope that if WebOS hits the mark this fall going into full-open source platform to see new developments from developers and tinkerers.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    That's how iOS updated prior to iOS 5. Now iOS updates are delivered over the air in the same manner as webOS - only what's needed (a "delta" update of just the new code and installation instructions for the device), and it's installed quickly and painlessly without the need to restore everything from a backup (be it cloud or local).

iOS 5 actually takes the app update process a step further than webOS. webOS delivers the entire updated app, while iOS developers can deliver incremental delta updates to users. Just push the changes instead of redownloading the entire app. For larger packages (games), that can be a bandwidth and datacap godsend.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    iOS 5 actually takes the app update process a step further than webOS. webOS delivers the entire updated app, while iOS developers can deliver incremental delta updates to users. Just push the changes instead of redownloading the entire app. For larger packages (games), that can be a bandwidth and datacap godsend.
    actually, app updates are still not delta-ized

i think apple went too far to lock down the platform. When restoring my iPod, iTunes spits out various errors (iTunes needs more optimization) for hours. It's just so scary and unfriendly. unlike the actual iOS itself
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    When restoring my iPod, iTunes spits out various errors (iTunes needs more optimization) for hours. It's just so scary and unfriendly. unlike the actual iOS itself
    Exactly!

I did update a family iPad from iOS 5.0 to 5.1 over WiFi a few days before I did my iPod, and that went seamlessly enough.

But that didn't help with the iPod. After iTunes warned me that it would lose all the content due to an unexplained error, on the first sync after update it didn't recognize my iPod as the one linked to that copy of iTunes any more. After I re-linked it, it didn't want to sync any content until I drilled down several layers re-enabling things at each level. Each time I tried sync I got a pop-up warning from my firewall that a new iTunes Crash Reporter app wanted to send a hidden report to Apple, and there was a pop-up error message that my Yahoo Messenger password was incorrect (it wasn't, although what that had to do with sync I don't know), leaving me unsure why the sync wasn't succeeding.

Anyway, WebOS updates have worked much better for me, and I have a whole lot more confidence because I can easily access all the content for backup.
    I havent had to deal with an Apple product since they introduced the icloud. But when my girlfriend had an iPhone that HAD to use a computer to update, OH MY GOD, It was horrible. iTunes is confusing. The way they word stuff made it sound like you were going to erase everything and add the selected stuff onto it. I felt I had to make sure the stuff was backed up before doing anything. Luckily, my girlfriend got rid of that abomination. But trying to get all her contacts and stuff transferred over was another mess. I hate iTunes and dont even use it for listening to music. Just wanted to rant on that. lol.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I had to bite the bullet and update my iPod Touch 4th gen from iOS 4.1 to 5.1 today. What a horrible experience! It took 3 hours of downloads and software updates to iTunes and the iPod. I was required to install half a dozen unidentified new apps and services on my computer that all need to communicate with Apple on the internet. I did all the recommended backups beforehand, but half-way through the update it reported an unexplained "error 5000 - all iPod contents will be lost if you proceed", and it did indeed lose all the music and most of the apps content of my iPod, and they are no longer backed up in iTunes. Fortunately I'm paranoid and backed up everything by alternative means since I don't trust iTunes one bit.

I compare this to the painless updates I've had with WebOS, and the ease of backing up and restoring content and apps on my TouchPad, and I don't know why anyone like Apple. Apple stinks!
    This is the beauty of doing things with package managers. It's the linux way. You get automatic dependency resolution, and can pull from as many different source repositories as you like. In WebOS's case, we have ipkg, which came from unslung/optware (yup, you can tap the optware repositories for all kinds of nifty things 'under the hood' too) . We get these same painless updates using YUM/RPM and APT/DEB on 'full sized' linux distributions as well. As a sysadmin, I would never go back to windows or Apple for workstations or servers or phones alike.

wrt delta updates, I know those are supported by package management solutions like YUM/RPM. Not sure about ipkg at this point in time though.
    : (){:|:&};: