Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Okay, assuming I successfully attached it here, you should see my HP Pre3's Accounts card...albeit redacted a bit.

Under the Device Information card, my "HP WEBOS ACCOUNT" shows as my e-mail address.

I also went online to HPwebOS.com: Manage My Device, and my name shows up correctly...no sign of the ol' Doctor!

HP Pre 3 Accounts Card.jpg
    So you have gone into the accounts tab, selected HP webOS account, which should show the account user name. What is there? Is it the name you gave it? Or is it dr. FU? If the latter, did you select Remove Account? This is what i suggested back in post 10. Then go to the activation tab and sign in to your profile. You did this once already and no good?

This is in impostah. Just making sure that's clear.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Hi, there, and thanks again for trying to sleuth this with me.

Yes, using impostah and in Dev Mode, I went to the Accounts tab. In it was Dr. FU. I deleted the account, which then immediately requested a reboot. As John stated earlier in this thread, I let it reboot and I resigned in.

I have actually done this twice, with the same results as above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    Hi, there, and thanks again for trying to sleuth this with me.

Yes, using impostah and in Dev Mode, I went to the Accounts tab. In it was Dr. FU. I deleted the account, which then immediately requested a reboot. As John stated earlier in this thread, I let it reboot and I resigned in.

I have actually done this twice, with the same results as above.
    OK now, did you turn off Dev mode before the reboot?
    And when you tap on that Dr account in the Accounts app, what does it do?

Open Impostah, tap Accounts, and check to see how many accounts there are for HP webOS Account. Tap ACCOUNT USERNAME to see if there's more than one. If there is, delete the Dr one.

Go back to the Impostah main page and tap Activation. You should see you account email in the EMAIL ADDRESS box. Go ahead and login again. It won't cause you to reset.

You should not need to disable dev mode as TJ asked above.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    And when you tap on that Dr account in the Accounts app, what does it do?

Open Impostah, tap Accounts, and check to see how many accounts there are for HP webOS Account. Tap ACCOUNT USERNAME to see if there's more than one. If there is, delete the Dr one.

Go back to the Impostah main page and tap Activation. You should see you account email in the EMAIL ADDRESS box. Go ahead and login again. It won't cause you to reset.

You should not need to disable dev mode as TJ asked above.
    That's what i said to do, twice but she reports unsuccessful.

Idk why she can't go back to the activation tab to sign in before the accounts tab makes her reboot. This is why i suggested turning off Dev mode, which should give her a chance to sign into existing profile after reboot. I am puzzled but idk how much "web text communication loss" we are suffering. I'm certain it can be done though.

I'm going back to highlight text in previous posts so they are a clear as possible. Never know when someone will refer to this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Okay, I am on, and I see that Alan is here as well.

On the Accounts tab, there is only one account: "Dr. Skipped Firstuse".

I have just tapped "Activation", and it's waiting for me to continue.

What should I do?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I see that TJ is on as well, so it's a party.

Okay, I went to Activation, I logged into my Profile, it was successful, I went to the Accounts card, and Dr. FU is still there.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    This makes me suspect that the online database is wrong...even though it shows my name and e-mail address correctly.

Under impostah's Palm Profile, there's a URL for accountServer Url: https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/services/deviceJ This doesn't go anywhere (Error 404)...is this a remnant of the old Palm stuff, or is it an important clue?
    It's stored that way locally too. In Impostah, browse the account type, and it will be there under com.palm.palmprofile. I am sure it can be changed there using a luna-send db update, but if you logged out and back in, it might change back. I'm not sure which is the database of record. If you look under Palm Profile on the main screen, then tap account info, it should show your correct name.
    Hi Anastasia,

I'm afraid that Alan and TJ may have left the forum shortly before you came, since the green "bulb" often stays lit for an hour after the poster's last activity and isn't reliable indicator of whether they may be reading.

But looking at your situation, i'm inclined to think that your Palm Profile has gotten corrupted somewhere along the line, whether the error happened on the phone and got sent up to the cloud, or the opposite, where a phone restored down from a corrupted cloud backup. It's not the first time i see this happening... there was a couple of cases where profiles got "cross-pollinated", with names and email addresses from other people, and times where corrupted system settings got restored to freshly-doctored phones and made them unusable, to the point that the user had to abandon the profile with all the paid apps.

So if you keep trying and it doesn't help, you may have to create a new profile, or doctor and then create a new profile. That's the only way to start from scratch.

As for the URL, it seems ok. Unless you're sending the proper cookie, HTTP headers and a well-formed query, a page can return fake 404s
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks, Grabber and Remy. ...and here's the thing: I found under Accounts --> Account Template (HP webOS Account) and Account Username (Dr. Skipped Firstuse) --> Show Account , it's stored under the "username" field. Other than [once again] removing the account, is there a way to edit that field?
    I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it is possible to use luna-send to update the value in the database. It might not work, but I bet it would. I never figured tried remove it using Impostah's delete functionality - other than using the 'sign out' option under Palm Profile, and then signing back in to the same or a different account.

Honestly, I don't think it matters at all what name it shows on your Palm Profile in the accounts app. My name shows correctly at hpwebos.com aka ps.palmws.com. I'm sure it only says Dr Skipped Firstuse on my phone because I swapped this profile to an activation-bypassed device using Impostah. My profile is signed in, and I am able to access the catalog, and backups work... If all of that works for you, then I say don't worry about it. Once Jan 15th arrives, any phone reset is going to have to be activation-bypassed and will show Dr Skipped Firstuse.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Yeah, I know it doesn't really matter, but it's just one of those annoying things that is so silly but every time I see it it makes me nuts. ...and Doctoring the device doesn't fix it...I've done that several times as well.

Here's another fun "feature", that's not related to Dr. FU. When I got the dreaded Application Database Full error about a year and a half ago, I found this wonderful post that gave a terrific solution at Application database full? Life was wonderful, until I had to Doctor my device, and I found out the hard way that changing the partition does a number on the database, so that if you have to Doctor the phone, there's a serious mismatch (see my post here Application database full?). That mismatch caused me nightmares, and despite finally getting the phone operational through uploading a clean copy of the database (see Need to Delete Data Backed Up on HP Profile / Palm Profile), I still deal with weird fall-out such as the screen on the games Dead Runner and Bubbles no longer responding correctly to a touch. The latest update to What's Shaking no longer installs, either...see about halfway down and below here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...shaking-2.html

So...as much as I love my Pre3 and have been a rabid fan since Palm first came out with its Palm Pilot (I still have and use the Sony Clié!), I have to admit that as these little idiosyncrasies pile up, I'm fast approaching the "too hard" line to stay with the platform, which just sucks big time.
    I understand. I'll test it out on one of my dev phones and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    Okay, I am on, and I see that Alan is here as well.

On the Accounts tab, there is only one account: "Dr. Skipped Firstuse".

I have just tapped "Activation", and it's waiting for me to continue.

What should I do?
    In impostah, select palm profile tab. Tap show account info. Tap accountinfo field.

What does it say for email, first name and last name fields?

Still in impostah, swipe back to main screen of tabs, tap accounts tab, set account template = hp webOS account.

Account Username should have a drop down choice.

- does it list only dr. sf or is there two to choose from?

SELECT DR. SF AND TAP REMOVE ACCT. DO NOT REBOOT.

still in impostah, go to activation tab. What email address is there? Type in email and log in.

Still in impostah, go to palm profile tab. Tap show palm profile. What is listed in alias field? Should be email address.

Swipe back and tap show account info. What do email, first name and last name fields say?
    First and last name should be your name.

Have you gone to the hp site and reviewed the info for your device(s) and is it correct there? Do you HAVE A PROFILE to log into??
    Sorry if I'm late, typing this fast didn't read other posts just trying to help real quick!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 11/05/2014 at 12:40 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Once Jan 15th arrives, any phone reset is going to have to be activation-bypassed and will show Dr Skipped Firstuse.
    Where's the 'DISLIKE' button for this? Ha
    Getting a permission denied error trying to update it.. need to figure out what app has permission to update that account table. com.palm.app.accounts didn't work.

Edit: found it after looking at the services directory again and thinking it might be a service that is owns the data. I ran the following command after getting the id for the palm profile account object:

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.service.accounts luna://com.palm.db/merge '{"objects":[{"_id":"++HSVl5dWnlqP2uR","username":"Matt Williams"}]}'
    Can anyone think of a reason this would cause a problem? I wouldn't think so, but...
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/05/2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    TJ: You did what I was playing with yesterday.

To answer your questions:

"In impostah, select palm profile tab. Tap show account info. Tap accountinfo field. What does it say for email, first name and last name fields?"

Answer: email is correct, firstName is correct, and lastName is correct.

"Still in impostah, swipe back to main screen of tabs, tap accounts tab, set account template = hp webOS account. Account Username should have a drop down choice.

"- does it list only dr. sf or is there two to choose from?"

Answer: Just the Doctor.

"SELECT DR. SF AND TAP REMOVE ACCT. DO NOT REBOOT."

Answer: I'm going to have to do this this weekend, as I don't have time to rebuild the device yet again. However...

"still in impostah, go to activation tab. What email address is there? Type in email and log in."

Answer: EMAIL ADDRESS is correct. I logged in to the Profile several times last night, and that didn't fix it.

"Still in impostah, go to palm profile tab. Tap show palm profile. What is listed in alias field? Should be email address."

Answer: Yes, alias is correct (my e-mail address).

"Swipe back and tap show account info. What do email, first name and last name fields say?
    First and last name should be your name."

Answer: At this point, that is not an option. Options are: accountDevices, accountInfo, acctChallengeQuestions, and challengeQuestions. If I go to accountInfo (which is what I think you meant), email, firstName, and lastName are correct.

"Have you gone to the hp site and reviewed the info for your device(s) and is it correct there? Do you HAVE A PROFILE to log into??"

Answers: Yes and yes.

"Sorry if I'm late, typing this fast didn't read other posts just trying to help real quick!"

Answer: Thank you and Grabber for trying so hard!
    Remy X likes this.
    wow. im lost at the moment. im also at a bar and been drinkin kentucky bourbon barrel ale for quite a few hrs so not interpreting data too well atm.

apologies im not in the best consult status atm.

at least we are working on something thats not critical to device functionality. but i sure am confused, wish i could put hands on that device myself!

the only consolation is like Matt said, come January this will be moot. your profile ID will be irrelevant.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast