Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b801nkU1XIk[/YT]

Seriously, there was a time where posts filled with views and comments right away and flew down the page buried by new posts so quickly you needed to check the forums constantly or you would miss something.

Now what posts there are are easy to read at your leisure with no risk of missing anything. And the news on the front page is limited to what we wish we could have had and what other tablets and phones are doing these days.

Nobody HERE to blame, its just sad.
    With that being said, as much as I want to dye my hair black, paint my finger nails black, listen to some depressing music, and cut myself, while I weep in the corner......I think I'll just pass on that, and carry on as per normal.

Sure it's slowed down, to a snail's pace, but life goes on. You know problems to solve, spammers to ban, trolls to discipline, the odd bit of news here and there. I'm actually getting more done in the real world now that I don't have to hit the New Posts button every 5 seconds

Cheer up man.......it's only a phone
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Its not just a phone.
    Its a platform.
    A way of life- try palming your new Android behemoth or swiping away screens on your iPhone or just typing on your windows phone. Pretty jarring experience when screens don't just swipe away
    Its a hobby.
    Its a community.

Damn you leo. Damn you
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

Cheer up man.......it's only a phone
    Actually, being here has been about much more than it being "only a phone" (or a tablet), it was a community. A community of amazing people (and a few trolls) that had shared the common experience of the highs and lows, the joys and sorrows that was Palm. The devices were important, but not as important as the interaction with the members of the forums.

You could post a question, comment, even a joke and have dozens, if not hundreds, of people that cared who would read and respond in seconds. And that was the key, the people here cared about not just the phone or the OS, but about the community and making it better. When I had to move on from the Pre (to an Evo), I found the AndriodCentral forums just lacking compared to what we had over here. So it was great to get my TP so I had a reason to come back.

Of course, at some point, no more devices (and no prospect of any) and there is nothing for the community to rally around, no reason to even have a community. The new Apps just are not there and the updates are not happening (Angry Birds Rio update anyone?). Even the amazing Homebrew community is getting stagnant, as its clear we are running out of things to patch or the motivation to do so. Combine that with the new tablets and phones going way beyond what we have and there you have it.

Sure, Open WebOs might result in something, someday, but by then -- if it even happens -- it may be too late to save our Atol. (heh, heh, see what I did there?)

For me, Treo/Pre/Webos "Central" has been an incredible place for the past 9+ years and I intend to stay as long as it lasts. And when it ends, I'll think of Shadowmite, of Jeff Gibson, of Shimon, of Kev, of the Palm engineers that would post and chat (and who probably leaked the Treo ROM). I'll remember the Treo Roadshows, actually getting together with people you only know from the forums, the TP firesale frenzy, the creepy lady ads, WebOsInternals, the PalmCasts and much more. Mostly I will remember how this community had the best smartphone there was for such a long time and how we made it even better.
    surely your favoured phone/tablet choice shouldnt reflect upon a qty of posts in the devices various forums.
    I still visit PreCentral and the forums every day, even though I moved on to a Windows Phone. Had most of the Palm phones (still miss my Centro), but it was time for me to move on. It's really amazing what is available in the smartphone market, beyond WebOS, which was great for it's time. Oh, sorry, have to go. Playing WordFeud with my kids on my WP.
    Hey there are a few things to do with the existing devices and bits flying around... Try webOS 2.1.0 (super scripted from a backup source and the veer source on the Pixi/PixiPlus), webOS 2.2.4 on the PrePlus from the Pre2 source. Once OpenwebOS is released and a doctor is built (if possible) maybe we will see new things to try... Develop apps for us to use. Don't wait for someone else...
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I've noticed that the Rootzwiki and XDA forums for the touchpad seem to be more active these days...
    It's going to be a bit more quiet for a while and it's to be expected. HP is moving everything over to Open Source and until that is completed and people start digging into it and seeing what can be accomplished, live goes on. WebOS Nation is still a great community. Those of us who have been with Palm for a long time have been through several lulls and weird times. But once the OS starts getting ported, stretched, worked... it will pick up.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/28/2012 at 12:35 AM.
    I like WebOS. I can't program or anything( i dabled in Linux but pretty much forgot all the CLI stuff i tried to learn). But this is how i see things. Prices on Tablet parts are getting cheaper and cheaper. $200 seems to be the magic point for tablets that don't have an I as the first letter of their name. In about 2 years HP or any other device manufacturer will be able to make a profitable $200 tablet that will probably be twice as powerful as the touchpad. On top of that HP and openmobile are working to get Android apps working on WebOS. When those things happen i guarantee you HP will make another push into the tablet market with a stronger WebOS and all of a sudden our WebOS devices will be a hell of a lot more useful. Hell i bet once the Openmobile thing happens owning a touchpad will be pretty sweet.

For now feeling like i'm in Star trek when i browse the internet(love the browser btw the limited number of bookmarks really helps you prioritize your browsing. It really helps keep me from procrastinating.), being able to quickly check and manage my email, having a light quickly transportable sort of computer,and being able to listen to music on grooveshark are pretty sweet so i'm going to stick with WebOS. O and all the organization apps are nice too.

EDIT: The snes emulator's cool too, Spaz is how everyone should view twiiter and if i can get the hulu fix to work on this then i'll definitely use my TP for many years to come.
    Last edited by Mike941; 03/28/2012 at 01:48 AM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Clearly you were not here BEFORE August 19th, 3:58PM EST.

"This place [was] a ghost town. There were no survivors." ......

Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    being a webos fan these days is a lot likebeing an amigaos fan I suggest you all buy a SAM460ex or an AmigaOne X1000 and join me on amigaworld.net...
    Yeah, it's a bit slow right now. But I'm hopeful things will pick up... in several months. Maybe 2013.

Le sigh.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Derek is running the marathon, not the sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit slow right now. But I'm hopeful things will pick up... in several months. Maybe 2013.

Le sigh.
    Don't you mean "in the coming months"?
    sledge007 and fxspec06 like this.
    When WebOS is released as open source, it's focus will not be to be installed on whatever amount of Touchpads survived 2 years.

So the question is will it even work well with the Touchpad. The original Pre and Pixi never got above 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    When WebOS is released as open source, it's focus will not be to be installed on whatever amount of Touchpads survived 2 years.

So the question is will it even work well with the Touchpad. The original Pre and Pixi never got above 1.4.5.
    When webOS is released as open source, in September...that's 14 months by my count.

Original Pre and Pixi's both work with 2.x, not officially of course, but once webOS goes open source, then I'm leaning on the side that the same would apply.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've noticed it's slacked off quite a bit as of late, myself. But again, that's to be expected. Just not too much news to pass around, so we're just in the ol' hurry up and wait phase.

And, as always, it's about as exciting as watching paint dry...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    we all knew the forums here would die off with not much happening with webos currently.
    Yeah there's not a lot to talk about -- we've pretty much already discussed everything to death, brought it back to life, then killed it again.

I'm working on a new app. It'll be ad-supported.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast