Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    Hi dear webOS community,

I come here to question about TouchToShare, and the ability for developers to implement it into their apps.

TTS really is a nice technology, unique on webOS and immensely underrated ! It has great potential and for what it can do right now, it does it really neatly. So for now, we know that we can transfer websites from one device to another, but what about getting it to another level ? Why no dev has yet implemented it to its app ? Is there no API from HP, and WHY ??? Shouldn't it be the ONE thing that HP should have made a public API for ? Isn't it THE functionality that make webOS so different from other systems ?

As of now, we should be able to transfer links from an email on the phone to the browser on the tablet, tranfer a document from QuickOffice on phone to SmartOffice on TP, or simply selected text, or a map or anything that we could imagine. But this feature is in some sort left into oblivion and nobody talk about it anymore... nothing from HP, nothing from devs. Only a bill on blogs from time to time just to remind us that nothing has change since the launch of the last webOS devices !

Has anyone tried to contact HP to push them releasing a public API for this ? Because it would be some kind of revolution ( la Apple) if any app on webOS could benefit from the TTS feature, don't you think ? Can't we try and make things happen by pushing HP very hard in that direction ?

Thanks
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Isn't it THE functionality that make webOS so different from other systems ?
    It's baked into all the major OSes now (using NFC rather than the proprietary chip used by HP) - it's not used for much at the moment beyond cardless payment but apps are starting to appear that make use of it - you can also do interesting things on android if rather than two different two bits of hardware, you buy some tags - so you can set a tag in your car to put the car in certain modes, in your office and so on..
    Very, very few people have both a Pre 3 and a TouchPad. TouchPad to TouchPad TTS is quite temperamental at best. Veer has not been officially updated, and many people who've tried have bricked them.

The rest of the world is adapting NFC.

Of course there's a publicly available API, but the technology just isn't that useful.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your answer, I didn't know about NFC ... but still, I think TTS can become very useful if used smartly, and I really wonder how come that *no* dev has yet added this feature to its app, even for himself !

I understand that NFC has not been widely used right now, and that few people have Pre3, updated Veers, and Touchpad's, but if I was a webOS dev I would add TTS to one of my app even for my own use and release this same app to the app cat, proud to have made the 1st TTS app on webos !

Come on, don't tell me that you don't find awesome to be able to share data between devices just by touching one with the other ! For me it's kind of the link of the future, where USB thumb drives will not exist anymore and all data will be transfered simply by making your phone touch the friends computer !! Anyone who tried TTS must think the same, I figure.

No more hassle with pluging in, waiting for it to be recognized and so on. Just touch, and go
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Sure but any future WebOS developers are going to surely going to develop apps using the NFC standard because that is what is going to be in the available hardware - the actual TTS tech in the current webOS hardware is a dead-end. You'd be developing for a few thousand people at best.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/18/2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Actually, you're wrong. I don't find that to be awesome, I find that to be completely useless.

With an app such as DataJog, I can transmit data from my TouchPad to my Pre2 from anywhere, not just when they are in tappable distance.

The tap-to-share needed far more function than just "tapping a phone on a tablet" and "identifying which touchstone you're docked in". It could have easily been licensed out and taken some of the use of QR codes in the world out. However, QR codes are probably much more versatile (since you can put them anywhere, and anything with decent optics [such as not a TouchPad, unless you have very steady hands] can get the info from them)

Something in one of the documents that came with the TouchPad lead me to believe that you could touchstone dock and have things automatically happen - not just things that you pre configured on your tablet, but that you could say have a dock on a display in a retail location, or a museum, or whatever, and have it automically do something in response to it -- such as load information about the product or display.

Unfortunately, it can't really do much of anything. Besides, you could do all that with QR codes. But it's not as nice as being able to dock it for access.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    DataJog likes this.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    QR codes are useful but NFC tags have their own usefulness because they don't require user intervention - for example, in my bedroom, if I put an NFC tag on the bedside then when I put the phone down, it switches off the email, puts it in bedside mode and only allows calls from people on my personal white list - that sort of thing is pretty neat.
    right, but TTS and QR occupy much the same space.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    right, but TTS and QR occupy much the same space.
    Not really because a QR code requires user intervention - once you've set up a NFC tag with a behaviour then you don't need user intervention.

Let's take a simple example - I go to bed and put my phone on the bedside table - the phone goes into bed room mode which means that emails switch off and calls are only allowed from my whitelist. when I get up, I go into the home office and the phone switches the emails back up and whacks the volume upto maximum and allows calls from anyone.

I need to go somewhere, I get in my car and the phone switches to car mode.

Once you done the intital set-up, as a user you never have to do anything again, QR codes would need you to manually take a picture of the QR each and every time.
  10.    #10  
    I don't like QR codes for the reasons mentioned by CGK and because it makes me feel like I'm in the supermarket ^^ We don't need barcodes everywhere, everytime. There's better way of doing those stuffs with TTS and NFC.

I agree that NFC seems interesting, even though I don't understand how you phone "understands" that it is in you bedroom... Do you have a device on your bedside table that serves as a "checkpoint" or is it gps or what ??

What I like with TTS is that you can transfer informations from one device to another by touching them on against each other, so that the receiving device doesn't misunderstand you request which could have been aimed at another device for instance.

I find TTS simple and working nicely, and user intervention is minimal.

Datajog ask you to go through boring processes like opening a file, choosing the destination device and pushing a button to send it.

TTS only ask you to open an app with the data you want and touch the destination device. And most of the time, your app with data is already open since it's part of your "workflow" (i.e: I'm reading an article and find I want to read it on a larger screen: I touch the destination device with my phone and tada).

Since TTS has not much cases of use right now, I'll take a look at dataJog though. I wish HP had chosen NFC right from the beginning instead of a TTS that nobody seems to want :/

And btw @CGK : your examples on NFC are quite specific to the technology. I think that TTS is not aimed at doing those stuffs you mention, but instead sharing informations from one device to another. It's not as versatile as NFC, but the idea of touching devices is quite interesting for those kind of use. It could replace USB ports or the like: you touch devices to sync them together etC...
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I agree that NFC seems interesting, even though I don't understand how you phone "understands" that it is in you bedroom... Do you have a device on your bedside table that serves as a "checkpoint" or is it gps or what ??

You can buy NFC enabled tags, they are like a very small flat disc, you simply seed them around them around the environment and when the phone comes into contact it triggers the behaviour you mention.

And btw @CGK : your examples on NFC are quite specific to the technology. I think that TTS is not aimed at doing those stuffs you mention, but instead sharing informations from one device to another.
    Which NFC also does - you can simply touch two NFC enabled devices together to transfer information between the two. It doesn't have to be Phone to Phone, it can be phone to TV or any number of devices:

12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    That is also why TTS will go nowhere, NFC tech is already embedded in millions of device and is easy to get hold of to experiment with and allows for interoperabilty between OSes. The only people who can experiment with TTS need devices that contain that proprietary chip inside. Interestingly someone who got hold of a touchpad Go said that it had an NFC chip inside so it looks like HP were moving to it as well.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  13.    #13  
    Well, thanks CGK. Now I see why NFC beats TTS flat ! You got me, I agree with you ^^

Arf, it's so bad to have such technology that is good for nothing now :/