Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ive been following HTC since the first touch running windows came on the scene, and recently was using a htc arrive running WP7. Looking at there situation currently (down again this Q a whopping 45%) it looks as though they will be needing a new open souce OS. Android htc devices have not sold well since the first EVO, and dont look like they will with their new additions of one s, one x lines coming in April. HTC like Samsung have been on the fense about using Webos, but now that its being completely open sourced, and with Google tieing the knot with Moto, Webos may beniefit from them. I myself think sooner then later HTC in paticular will take a chance with a OS like Webos, seeing it can only help, and seeing how successful Nokia has become overnight so far with WP7 picking up a new OS, its not to far fetched in my opinion if they do.

HTC's struggles continue, revenue plummeted 45% so far this year
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Let us hope that HTC, Samsung or any manufacturer for that matter picks up webOS. Everyone knows we need webOS devices, any!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by skat_et_dieu View Post
    Let us hope that HTC, Samsung or any manufacturer for that matter picks up webOS. Everyone knows we need webOS devices, any!!
    aint that the truth my fingers are crossed.
    I would LOVE to see htc pick up open webOS...

but I think it would make more financial sense for them to stick with android and increase their windows phone devices. Their att windows phones have received good reviews thus far.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Yes, just read that they managed to get the first WP in China. Their plan is to sell much in China.
    I don't see them risking in something like webOS. As I remember they denied it too, their CEO or something.
    android htcs not selling well? i see boatloads of them everywhere...
    WebOS would need a lot of polish to go into another mobile device.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Not going to happen - going alone means that HTC would have to spend billion to make it competitive with android and IOS - you need app developers to come on board, marketing carrier relationships, the ecosystem to sell content etc.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    while i admire some of your optimism i don't think any manufacture or carrier will be making anymore webos phones. the best chance we have is when it is open sourced it can be ported to a number of existing wp7 & android devices.
    The Android marketplace is over saturated with same same same.... HTC can and should choose to try a phone or two that are different from the rest. Doesn't mean all of their phones would have webos. But It would be something they could try and I do hope either them or another manufacturer looking to stand out tries it...
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    HTC like Samsung have been on the fense about using Webos,
    Samsung has not been "on the fence." They flat out said they'd "Never" do a deal like that when asked about buying WebOS. Samsung Electronics Would

As for HTC i'm not saying it couldn't happen but my question is if you're HTC & revenue and profits are down and you want to raise them i struggle to see how they could think buying webos would raise them when webos has never turned a profit. Plus fixing webos, and building out and ecosystem is expensive meaning they'd be taking a massive financial hit in the near term in hopes of profit later that is far from likely. If they buy it thinking they can just put webos on a phone and it will sell they are as stupid as hp was.

WebOS needs deep deep pockets and someone willing to take huge losses for many years.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Samsung said they were not interested in BUYING webOS, they never said anything about using it as an open source mobile OS...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Samsung said they were not interested in BUYING webOS, they never said anything about using it as an open source mobile OS...
    That is hardly sitting on the fence. One they are a the leading Android phone maker, two they have their own OS Bada.

But either way, How does making a webos phone make sense when it's never made a profit. That's really the problem. These are businesses that need to turn profits and nobody has ever given me a realistic way that making a webos phone will make a profit other then massive investment in the ecosystem especially when it's never made a profit before. Making a phone now with webos is interesting for the faithful but what's different now then before with webos? Nothing. So why would monumentally more people buy it then did before if nothing is new?
    Oh please, how hard is it for a hardware manufacturer to make a profit when you get the OS for free?
    I think that several of these manufacturers will probably take a shot with webOS.
    Once that happens, the ecosystem will quickly follow.
    HTC doesn't give a crap if they are the leading Android manufacturer, it means nothing to them.
    They can just as easily become the leading webOS manufacturer as well...
    WebOS has been on mobile phones and the Touchpad since 2009. It's not to going to be a player.

If it's going to be free, why is HP spending money on it anymore?
    Hey man, nobody knows what's going to happen but... There is a HUGE difference between webOS being a proprietary OS for a single manufacturer, vs, an open source free OS that multiple manufacturers produce product for.

Why wouldn't a hardware manufacturer gamble on producing a webOS phone? Where is the risk? How much do they really have at stake?

And...obviously somebody will use it as it a pretty mature OS that is still (somewhat) actively being developed...
    Oh please, how hard is it for a hardware manufacturer to make a profit when you get the OS for free?
    I think that several of these manufacturers will probably take a shot with webOS.
    Once that happens, the ecosystem will quickly follow.
    HTC doesn't give a crap if they are the leading Android manufacturer, it means nothing to them.
    They can just as easily become the leading webOS manufacturer as well...
    Hard enough Palm and HP couldn't do it. HTC leading Android phone sales. Samsung is. HTC is doing crappy. But you didn't answer the question about how it's gonna make a profit. you just tried to throw a question at me. nor did you the question why would people buy it now. What's different that makes webos any better now then it was before? You just said manufactures will a shot. You didn't make a case as to why anyone would buy a webos phone now. What feature will make them have it that wasn't their before?

Not hard to lead webos when nobody makes webos phones.

and if just making a phone meant he ecosystem got built out you'd have one.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/09/2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Hardware manufacturers make profit off of sales. They do not have a billion dollar acquisition of an OS to cover before they become profitable. Android is not a better OS, they are just more prevalent. If more manufacturers start getting webOS phones out there, then it will become more widespread...it is as simple as that.
    WebOS is not nearly ready to go head to head with Android, iOS or Windows Mobile.
    Hardware manufacturers make profit off of sales. They do not have a billion dollar acquisition of an OS to cover before they become profitable. Android is not a better OS, they are just more prevalent. If more manufacturers start getting webOS phones out there, then it will become more widespread...it is as simple as that.
    Better is subjective. You say it's not better. Regardless, very few people care what OS is better. If people are relying on being a better thing that few people care about then they are not ready to compete in the mobile space. If it mattered that it was better people would have bought the phones.

Hardware manufactures have to cover the costs of advertising, support, manufacturing, shipping, research and development of a device. They don't come from thin air. And even HP's third quarter loss last year was when they were selling phones and tablets. It wasn't a loss based on the acquisition of Palm. It was based on not selling enough devices to cover the costs in putting them into stores. And every possible phone maker is gonna face the same thing. Until they make significant fixes to webos and significant additions to the O.S. to add stuff like plus build out an ecosystem it will be the same small market that's interested and that's not enough to entice many hardware manufactures. It will take one willing to take a hit on profits for a while. I'm not saying nobody would be interested. But right now they'd be doing nothing but releasing a device with very little difference then from the features the os had when it failed and that's not a recipe for success.

If more manufacturers start getting webOS phones out there, then it will become more widespread...it is as simple as that.
    that's like saying if there are more Hummers made there will be more Hummers. Well Yeah. But that doesn't mean there's a reason for people to buy Hummers. Hummers are no more appealing now then before. To be widespread consumers need to want to buy them which has always been a problem for Webos phones. To me you've put the cart before the horse. "If". Yeah if they make webos phones, but at the moment they need more of a reason to do that then the same OS they had before that failed to have an adequate ecosystem, that couldn't sell for a profit before, to make an webos phone. Maybe after they fix the os, make it snappier, add voice commands, visual voicemail, upgrade many of the apps that haven't been addressed since launch. But right now i just see it as something for well down the road.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/10/2012 at 11:23 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast