Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    On this week's Vergecast.
    54:53

The Vergecast 020 - 03.02.2012 | The Verge

Music to my ears
    its quite amazing how they reference hp/webOS/palm/touchpad weekly...without fail.
    Funny that he misses it now... the Engadget crew did a decent job dogging it back then.
    But we all feel his pain.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ[/YT]
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Very interesting and wow I'm guessing Barcelona wasn't that exciting. Don't know really since I haven't been paying much attention to Verge, Engadget or otherwise as of late. Either way, thanks for the link and insight. Sorli...

Update: interesting article and worth the listen. Thanks for the timing 54mins mark, but I listed to the whole things and liked how things progressed where things did.
    Last edited by sorli; 03/04/2012 at 05:03 PM.
    By the way has has dieter just completely abandoned webos? on the verge mobile podcast he seems to Intentionally avoid the subject altogether. I'm. Sure he's catering to. His new audience but seriously hownmuch can one talk about android devices when they are just iterations of last month's device
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    By the way has has dieter just completely abandoned webos? on the verge mobile podcast he seems to Intentionally avoid the subject altogether. I'm. Sure he's catering to. His new audience but seriously hownmuch can one talk about android devices when they are just iterations of last month's device
    Dieter does not cover webOS because he is with Lisa Brewster, better known as @Adora who is employed by the webOS team. If you go to his profile on The Verge it even states it: Dieter Bohn Articles & Activity | The Verge "Personal Ethics Statement: Dieter's better half works at HP. Thus, he does not cover HP for The Verge."

So, no, he's not catering to his new audience. He's doing what he has to do.
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    To bad really sad to see one of the most vocal palm supporters talk only about android gibberish.. I like androidhardware but really hard to get excited about them given the frequency of releases and even harder to listen to podcasters talk about them.

speaking of which when is the next paomcast?
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    To bad really sad to see one of the most vocal palm supporters talk only about android gibberish.
    I know, right??
    I work(ed) for Palm.

Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Pixi -> Pre Plus -> Pre 2 -> Veer -> TouchPad -> Pre 3 -> Anything with a browser
    http://www.enyojs.com
    http://twitter.com/adora
    Did someone play the "Summon Adora" card?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    OldSkoolVWLover and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    On this week's Vergecast.
    54:53

The Vergecast 020 - 03.02.2012 | The Verge

Music to my ears
    Here's the thing: I'm glad Topolsky keeps referencing webOS. Its not wasted time. Sooner or later some hardware manufacturer is going to take a look at webOS and decide that its worthwhile supporting this over android (with google-owned motorola purchase).
    Until then, lets continue to support webos-internals, as they will be the main engine driving anything interesting that happens with webOS (it will not be HP beyond completing the opensource roadmap they published)

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...s-whos-me.html
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Here's the thing: I'm glad Topolsky keeps referencing webOS. Its not wasted time. Sooner or later some hardware manufacturer is going to take a look at webOS and decide that its worthwhile supporting this over android (with google-owned motorola purchase).
    Until then, lets continue to support webos-internals, as they will be the main engine driving anything interesting that happens with webOS (it will not be HP beyond completing the opensource roadmap they published)

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...s-whos-me.html
    Know what, I don't think its going to happen.

I was patiently waiting for the likes of Sony or LG to use webOS. These two are behind Samsung/HTC on Android sales. I hoped that they choose webOS because its the third alternative. That didn't happen. The other OEMs for Android , Lenovo, Acer ... Asus are timid companies who are scared of Microsoft. Their main source of revenue is from the PC division. They might choose Windows mobile than webOS. I see Microsoft burning few million dollar bills a day till they position their mobile OS as the third choice. Overall I think no OEM is interested in webOS until they reach a point where they make less money on Android and are forced to make phones for Microsoft with losses. The only hope for HP to do a 180. But that might take couple of years before they start accumulating cash on their balance sheet. The other option is for HP is to persuade Huawei or that Indian mobile outfit LAVA who took the risk of jumping in mobile handset business with Intel processors.

Its my third year with Pre- on Sprint. No phone came closer to the webOS with Pre form factor for getting things done faster.

All in all, I am sick of the whole thing. Gutless HP and timid OEMs.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    My Pre plus is literally falling apart. It has cracks so wide you can see the internal circuitry. I'm now faced with the awful possibility of mobile spyware (android) or an iphone which for all it's apps is still a half-baked phone. I was viewing the "improved" notifications on my wife's iphone and it's still a joke compared to the Pre. I've read that webOS 2.0 bluetooth is incompatible with BMW's so I can't take that last upgrade path as I absolutely need that functionality. HP really screwed this up.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Know what, I don't think its going to happen.

I was patiently waiting for the likes of Sony or LG to use webOS. These two are behind Samsung/HTC on Android sales. I hoped that they choose webOS because its the third alternative. That didn't happen. The other OEMs for Android , Lenovo, Acer ... Asus are timid companies who are scared of Microsoft. Their main source of revenue is from the PC division. They might choose Windows mobile than webOS. I see Microsoft burning few million dollar bills a day till they position their mobile OS as the third choice. Overall I think no OEM is interested in webOS until they reach a point where they make less money on Android and are forced to make phones for Microsoft with losses. The only hope for HP to do a 180. But that might take couple of years before they start accumulating cash on their balance sheet. The other option is for HP is to persuade Huawei or that Indian mobile outfit LAVA who took the risk of jumping in mobile handset business with Intel processors.

Its my third year with Pre- on Sprint. No phone came closer to the webOS with Pre form factor for getting things done faster.

All in all, I am sick of the whole thing. Gutless HP and timid OEMs.
    I see you've thought about this. What I've learning also in life there is the "X" factor where some unknown player comes in and changes the game. We don't know how this might play out with webOS.

In the meantime, do yourself a favor and get a Franken Pre2. Once you get one, you will be sorry you didn't do it sooner and as someone who enjoys webOS like you do, its the right move.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    My Pre plus is literally falling apart. It has cracks so wide you can see the internal circuitry. I'm now faced with the awful possibility of mobile spyware (android) or an iphone which for all it's apps is still a half-baked phone. I was viewing the "improved" notifications on my wife's iphone and it's still a joke compared to the Pre. I've read that webOS 2.0 bluetooth is incompatible with BMW's so I can't take that last upgrade path as I absolutely need that functionality. HP really screwed this up.
    WebOS 2.2.4 (I have a Pre3 on Verizon) definitely IS compatible with BMWs (I have a 2012 528i) and it works fine for phone and contacts - and playing music.
    do yourself a favor and get a Franken Pre2. Once you get one, you will be sorry you didn't do it sooner
    I completely agree. Did the swap last summer but was mad that I waited that long to do it in the first place. The performance is night and day!
    GSM Just saying

Veer/Pre2/Pre3
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs26 View Post
    WebOS 2.2.4 (I have a Pre3 on Verizon) definitely IS compatible with BMWs (I have a 2012 528i) and it works fine for phone and contacts - and playing music.
    I think they made some changes to the Bluetooth with 2.2.4 for the better
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I see you've thought about this. What I've learning also in life there is the "X" factor where some unknown player comes in and changes the game. We don't know how this might play out with webOS.

In the meantime, do yourself a favor and get a Franken Pre2. Once you get one, you will be sorry you didn't do it sooner and as someone who enjoys webOS like you do, its the right move.
    I guess I will pass on the franken thing and switch to ATT with Pre3 .

I scratch my head when I see any news about Sony Mobile phones. Its not that Sony doesn't have smart people who did not know about webOS, they are just timid to take the risk. They ignored Meego too. They are just providing a phone to their gaming folks. And they are content with the small money they make.

Someone should tell them that they will become the next RIMM in all their business.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    GSM Just saying

Veer/Pre2/Pre3
    Yess,
    Talk and browse.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast