webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > What's up why palm/hp can't get alarms to work reliably
What's up why palm/hp can't get alarms to work reliably
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/20/2012, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Well I knew that the alarm on the pre couldn't be trusted, but no big deal since it wasn't that loud. But I love the touchpad as an alarm, but sometimes it will make a beep but the alarm sound doesn't play. Another time it will just not remember the alarm at all. Really sucks, and I thought they would have fixed the whole alarm issue by now.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by kill_Dano likes this.
Old 02/21/2012, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

weird, I have used my alarm every morning from my Pre, to Pre 3 from 2009 to now and its never ever missed going off

Actually the most reliable alarm ive ever used on a phone

Maybe you have a patch that is causing the alarms to not go off?
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have the same issue. What I do, is that every night, before going to sleep, I check the alarms in the clock app. If they disappeared, I reboot the phone and they come back.

It is very annoying.

It happens less since webOS 2.2.4 on my Pre2, but it does still happens. Maybe once every week or two.

Blackboard Math! - source
ukabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just don't like how the clock stops when I completely power down my Pre
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

What seems to work for me is just opening up the clock app, turning off and turning on my alarms. I get up somewhere between 3:30 and 4:30, depending on the day, and as long as I do that (and remember to check volume levels, and make sure mute isn't on......<---VERY IMPORTANT! ), I haven't had an alarm failure. It seems to only happen, on occasion, when I don't do that.
Old 02/21/2012, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
What seems to work for me is just opening up the clock app, turning off and turning on my alarms. I get up somewhere between 3:30 and 4:30, depending on the day, and as long as I do that (and remember to check volume levels, and make sure mute isn't on......<---VERY IMPORTANT! ), I haven't had an alarm failure. It seems to only happen, on occasion, when I don't do that.
Thanks but that's too much trouble, imagine if my clock radio acted up like that? They really need to fix it.
Old 02/21/2012, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use timepiece and simpleclock which have been reliable for me so far. Never really gave the WebOS clock a real chance.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

What's worse, taking 5 seconds to reset your alarm, or sleeping in? Sure it's a PITA, but so is showing up for work 3 hours late. Or alternatively, you can set your alarm clock... up to you.
Old 02/21/2012, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I always like having two different devices with alarms if possible. Like my phone and my touchpad. It's a bit paranoid perhaps but only takes sleeping through one critical meeting to get that way,
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
weird, I have used my alarm every morning from my Pre, to Pre 3 from 2009 to now and its never ever missed going off

Actually the most reliable alarm ive ever used on a phone

Maybe you have a patch that is causing the alarms to not go off?
Same here, used my Sprint Pre for over 2 years without a failure and now I have used both my TouchPad and Pre 3 without any issues too.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
What's worse, taking 5 seconds to reset your alarm, or sleeping in? Sure it's a PITA, but so is showing up for work 3 hours late. Or alternatively, you can set your alarm clock... up to you.
Actually I use both my regular alarm clock and touch pad, it just bothers me that I have to do that.
Old 02/21/2012, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Actually I use both my regular alarm clock and touch pad, it just bothers me that I have to do that.
Yeah, if nothing else, it's just plain annoying having to do it over and over. Plus, when you're feeling sleepy, who has time to sit there for an eternity while webOS reboots
Old 02/21/2012, 11:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
Yeah, if nothing else, it's just plain annoying having to do it over and over. Plus, when you're feeling sleepy, who has time to sit there for an eternity while webOS reboots
reboots?

I was talking about turning the alarm switch off and on, not the phone/TouchPad. I use two as wall, Veer & TouchPad. I don't know....it isn't that big of a deal, for me. I put my Touchpad down on the touchstone, and the clock app opens......flick,flick, flick done.

Sure I hope that it would get fixed, but I choose not to use an alarm clock or other such device, I found a work-around that works for me, I got used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore.

I've been building tolerance, on a lot of different levels over the last year or two. I think "Don't sweat the small stuff" applies, at least for me it does.
Old 02/21/2012, 11:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

I never had problems either. I was paranoid after reading about all the problems, so I would often check them, and toggle them off and back on. Stupid thing woke me up every day at the right time! > :P
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 02:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The webOS clocks are fine and reliable -- but what they need is to force the volume issue. No matter what I have volumes set for in the System Settings, the alarms always play at hte Media volume, which is.. freaking quiet.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 05:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The webOS clocks are fine and reliable -- but what they need is to force the volume issue. No matter what I have volumes set for in the System Settings, the alarms always play at hte Media volume, which is.. freaking quiet.
I disagree that they are reliable. Maybe there's something that makes it reliable for some and not others.

I sat there and watched as the time came and it made that beep that it makes before the alarm sound plays and no sound was played, but dismiss and snooze was on the screen.Maybe its a problem with flurry, that's the only one I use.
Old 02/22/2012, 10:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just fyi guys:

if you set the alarm to wake up after its midnight, it will set it for the next morning, not that morning.

Example 1)

Its 10pm Monday night. You set an alarm for 9am. It goes off 9am the next day, tuesday morning.

Example 2)

Its 1am Tuesday morning. You finally get your bum to bed for work at 7am that morning. You set an alarm. It wont go off until the next day, which is WEDNESDAY morning.

I guess the engineers at Palm are old and go to bed early. Didnt realize some of us are night owls.
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

I had problems with alarm on Pre. Mainly alarm settings restored from palm profile after doctoring had shown tendencies to fail. When I deleted restored alarms and created new ones problem wanished for some time. But, I never trusted Pre as alarm device and always had reserve option.
Old 02/22/2012, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

mine has been reliable in ringing if set, however, once i have dismissed, occasionaly they dissappear for the next day (they are set to daily) so i have to make sure that an alarm exists before i go to sleep. also i have the clock themes and they also occasionaly reset to the default one.
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

that isn't my own fault
I prefer the LCARS with my TP
its alarm couldl wake the dead
for my Veer I like Timepiece which is particularly lovely on my Touchstone in my car in horizontal orientation
alarm works fine, though I don't use it as much
Artichoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0