Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Thank you for that report. I am looking into that right now.

Linux and OSX are something I am definitely interested in. At the moment FoneSync uses several Windows-specific API calls that I would need to research more on those platforms. I do have a prototype I'm working on alongside this that *should* be ready for sometime in the future. As of when, well, I'm not sure- It's not close to complete enough for me to release as Alpha. But I will definitely contact you when I get to that point
    Why did you choose .net rather than Java?

Mac is a serious and growing part of the market.
    And while Linux desktop market share is tiny - it's slowly growing and the percentage of webos users who are also using Linux is probably a bit higher than general.
    Plus there is less competition on the non-Windows platforms.
    Java would have covered them all including Windows.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Why did you choose .net rather than Java?

Mac is a serious and growing part of the market.
    And while Linux desktop market share is tiny - it's slowly growing and the percentage of webos users who are also using Linux is probably a bit higher than general.
    Plus there is less competition on the non-Windows platforms.
    Java would have covered them all including Windows.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Its simple- because Java does not provide "translation" (not sure if its called that, but generally the same concept) of the API calls I am making to actually make this application work. Since for some reason nobody will accept that I will not be rewriting this into another language, I have developed a plan for porting to those platforms. Note that everything below will NOT happen until after I have a solid, stable 1.0 release, and if I even feel like doing it- don't forget, this is a spare time project only.

* 99% of the code in this application IS compatible with the Mono framework, which, surprise- is basically a .Net port for Mac/Linux.
    * After I have created a rock-solid release (which won't be for a while given that I've only received 2 bug reports in the last 2 months, and over 400 downloads later), I will create two separate projects: the project we see now, and the Mono Linux/Mac port.
    * I will develop both ports side-by-side, changing code in the same places. The difference? I will have to change the media playback library (probably sticking with Quicktime on Mac OS X, possibly VLC on Linux), the ID3 processing library (currently uses TagLib, which has ports on both platforms, but the ports use different functions on different platforms), and the Media Database Access library (using SQLite currently, ports exist on both platforms, but I havent gotten far enough into my research to determine how differently it will operate) on those platforms. Now, while most of my code IS Mono compatible, these 3 very important things are not. Hence why I have not gone that route yet.

Now, this was a tough decision for me to make, but I realize I have no choice:

To better develop this application it is vital to receive complete and thorough reports of all application crashes/bugs. After almost 500 downloads, I have received only 3 reports of bugs, 2 of which were not bugs but user error.

Unfortunately, I've had to rework my error handling code- from the next release and onward, whenever the bug report window displays, the application will be sending me that bug information. Since its too much for people to report it to me, I will be forcing it. This will come with the next update, which will be required- therefore, when I make that release public, it will automatically install- you will not be given an option to skip this update. I will be updating the Terms and Conditions displayed in the setup application to reflect this change. If you do not accept the change, I will be providing an uninstaller prior to and after the release is finalized.

The application will be providing me with this information throughout the time it is running on your computer. None of this information will be self-identifying. Not even your IP address will be logged. Although, as with all bug reports, some information may be transmitted that can identify you. For example, if your Library.db3 file becomes corrupted and causes the bug window to appear, it may report a file path similar to "C:\Users\Ben\Music\Library.db3"- in this case, the personally identifiable information would be the name "Ben". As always, you will be able to see what information is sent before it is sent. I will give you the option to not send the report, but please note that if you choose not to participate in alpha/beta testing, you may be forced to uninstall the application (I have not made a final decision on this yet).

This major release will be coming in the next week or two.

Update: Uninstaller available here: http://www.box.com/s/982e708bec59102d340e
    thanks for the uninstaller. I have reinstalled and proceeded through initial setup successfully. While the programme seems amazing (really well done, you deserve more recognition than you are getting) and it managed to connect to a NAS drive at one point, it still fails to recognise my pre3. I am attaching a screenshot to prove that it is in USB connected mode
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise1091 View Post
    Its simple- because Java does not provide "translation" (not sure if its called that, but generally the same concept) of the API calls I am making to actually make this application work. Since for some reason nobody will accept that I will not be rewriting this into another language, I have developed a plan for porting to those platforms. Note that everything below will NOT happen until after I have a solid, stable 1.0 release, and if I even feel like doing it- don't forget, this is a spare time project only.
    I think the word you were looking for is "binding".

No worries. I never assumed for a second that you might ditch all your work and rewrite your app. I was just curious why you did choose .net over Java.

Theoretically any platform specific API call could have been dealth with in a JNI module - but not knowing any particulars about the APIs I'm not claiming that this would have been a better solution.

* 99% of the code in this application IS compatible with the Mono framework, which, surprise- is basically a .Net port for Mac/Linux.
    Sure.
    But it's that last 1% that is often troubling enough - plus Mono is looked at with suspicion by many.
    I'm not criticizing your decisions. It's your work, you'll do it your way.

* After I have created a rock-solid release (which won't be for a while given that I've only received 2 bug reports in the last 2 months, and over 400 downloads later),
    That seems pretty normal to me. Many people will give it a quick look-over - very few will bother to write reports (and even less of those will be useful).
    But part of that links back to what I said earlier - I believe that Linux users and devs are a higher percentage here than in the market in general. webos is a relatively free (and Linux based) alternative to the big closed mobile OSs. That means that many of the most active and qualified people that might give you the best feedback will be Linux users/devs who can't use your application atm.
    Most of the windows users that downloaded it, will try it out a bit and then wait for updates to come in.

In short: If you are looking for maximum end user numbers - sure, Windows is still top priority. But if you are looking for maximum constructive feedback at an early stage, a Linux compatible version would have optimized that.

I will create two separate projects: the project we see now, and the Mono Linux/Mac port.
    * I will develop both ports side-by-side, changing code in the same places. The difference? I will have to change the media playback library (probably sticking with Quicktime on Mac OS X, possibly VLC on Linux).
    Why not gstreamer? (again - just curious about the why - not criticizing)

To better develop this application it is vital to receive complete and thorough reports of all application crashes/bugs. After almost 500 downloads, I have received only 3 reports of bugs, 2 of which were not bugs but user error.
    You sound disappointed about the percentage - but realistically that's roughly the number I'd expect.

Unfortunately, I've had to rework my error handling code- from the next release and onward, whenever the bug report window displays, the application will be sending me that bug information. Since its too much for people to report it to me, I will be forcing it. This will come with the next update, which will be required- therefore, when I make that release public, it will automatically install- you will not be given an option to skip this update. I will be updating the Terms and Conditions displayed in the setup application to reflect this change. If you do not accept the change, I will be providing an uninstaller prior to and after the release is finalized.
    That's a wise decision IMHO.

The application will be providing me with this information throughout the time it is running on your computer. None of this information will be self-identifying. Not even your IP address will be logged. Although, as with all bug reports, some information may be transmitted that can identify you. For example, if your Library.db3 file becomes corrupted and causes the bug window to appear, it may report a file path similar to "C:\Users\Ben\Music\Library.db3"- in this case, the personally identifiable information would be the name "Ben". As always, you will be able to see what information is sent before it is sent. I will give you the option to not send the report, but please note that if you choose not to participate in alpha/beta testing, you may be forced to uninstall the application (I have not made a final decision on this yet).
    I'm not really concerned that this information will be abused by you in any way. But you could easilly replace the accountname part of the path ("ben") with something anonymous (e.g. "%user%"\Music\Library") before sending it back to your HQ. ;-)

Good luck with your project.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I think the word you were looking for is "binding".

No worries. I never assumed for a second that you might ditch all your work and rewrite your app. I was just curious why you did choose .net over Java.

Theoretically any platform specific API call could have been dealth with in a JNI module - but not knowing any particulars about the APIs I'm not claiming that this would have been a better solution.

Sure.
    But it's that last 1% that is often troubling enough - plus Mono is looked at with suspicion by many.
    I'm not criticizing your decisions. It's your work, you'll do it your way.

That seems pretty normal to me. Many people will give it a quick look-over - very few will bother to write reports (and even less of those will be useful).
    But part of that links back to what I said earlier - I believe that Linux users and devs are a higher percentage here than in the market in general. webos is a relatively free (and Linux based) alternative to the big closed mobile OSs. That means that many of the most active and qualified people that might give you the best feedback will be Linux users/devs who can't use your application atm.
    Most of the windows users that downloaded it, will try it out a bit and then wait for updates to come in.

In short: If you are looking for maximum end user numbers - sure, Windows is still top priority. But if you are looking for maximum constructive feedback at an early stage, a Linux compatible version would have optimized that.

Why not gstreamer? (again - just curious about the why - not criticizing)

You sound disappointed about the percentage - but realistically that's roughly the number I'd expect.

That's a wise decision IMHO.

I'm not really concerned that this information will be abused by you in any way. But you could easilly replace the accountname part of the path ("ben") with something anonymous (e.g. "%user%"\Music\Library") before sending it back to your HQ. ;-)

Good luck with your project.
    I basically didn't use gstreamer because when I was first starting this, it was much simpler to use Quicktime. Had I known it would get to the point where I would be possibly porting it, there are many things I would have done differently. Including that. And Java
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetz View Post
    thanks for the uninstaller. I have reinstalled and proceeded through initial setup successfully. While the programme seems amazing (really well done, you deserve more recognition than you are getting) and it managed to connect to a NAS drive at one point, it still fails to recognise my pre3. I am attaching a screenshot to prove that it is in USB connected mode
    Thank you for showing me that- I just tried a few different scenarios on my PC and I was able to replicate the problem. It seems that when one unconfigured device is found, it will not bother to check the rest of the devices. I will be addressing this in the next update, and will send you a PM when I release it with instructions on how to retrieve it.
    Thank you for showing me that- I just tried a few different scenarios on my PC and I was able to replicate the problem. It seems that when one unconfigured device is found, it will not bother to check the rest of the devices. I will be addressing this in the next update, and will send you a PM when I release it with instructions on how to retrieve it.
    thanks, i will try on this version by disconnecting that drive first
  8.    #28  
    I have reinstated the downloads. The new release I have posted (and the one users will be forced to update to) will now report bugs automatically when they are found. If you choose not to participate in testing, the application may no longer function. Note this does NOT fix the bug jetz reported (see above posts), as that is a more complex issue I am working on resolving.
    Last edited by mayonaise1091; 04/24/2012 at 10:12 PM.
    in the new update whenever something goes wrong the pop up dialogue appears and asks to send bug report, however this also forces the program to be closed and so becomes difficult to use. also the do not send bug report button doesn't work anyway.
  10.    #30  
    in the new update whenever something goes wrong the pop up dialogue appears and asks to send bug report, however this also forces the program to be closed and so becomes difficult to use. also the do not send bug report button doesn't work anyway.
    the Do Not Send report check does work, if you check it and click the button it will not send the report, just close. I will see what I can do about making the application continue to run.

I will update the button so it will give you more options.

Thank you for the feedback once again, I really do appreciate it.
    oh ok, I didn't realise that, I thought that it might possibly close the dialogue box without force closing
    tried to do new update (win8, just like previous installation), however when installing i get an error message (attached). i have tried *run as administrator* like suggested but same error
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13.    #33  
    tried to do new update (win8, just like previous installation), however when installing i get an error message (attached). i have tried *run as administrator* like suggested but same error
    Try restarting your PC and see if that resolves it.
    sorry for late reply, but yes that has fixed it. also on my win7 laptop, duplicating libraries gets stuck at 49%. also can you add an option to manually add devices as i can no longer get that NAS drive to connect
  15.    #35  
    Option to manually add devices has been added. New builds are available which provide better performance for videos and photos. I've decided to stop adding new features for 1.0 and consider this and future builds in Beta so I can make it much more stable than it is now. I will have a feature list soon, but for now, I'll post the much shorter list of features that didn't make the cut, but are in the roadmap for the next release:

* Podcasts- I have about half of this implemented, but I still need to investigate more into how this should work. May possibly be added before the final 1.0 release, but not likely
    * Music Store- I originally had a link to Amazon MP3 in the application, but I removed it after several builds because it took up a lot of memory, and downloads still had to happen through the Amazon MP3 downloader application. I know Banshee, an open source player written in C#, has this functionality- I will investigate it for a 2.0 release
    * Device Profiles- I originally wanted the application to know how to handle several different types of devices and their quirks, but for Android, webOS 2.0+ (webOS 1.x devices need a small hack to work properly, which I will document later), and Playbook Tablet OS, the application has handled itself fine.
    * GrooveShark streaming- I have several DLL files linked into the application, which are distributed with it, that support MP3 streaming. This was a hidden feature I was testing, and these files will be removed soon.

Thats all I can think of that will/may not make it into 1.0. If you have any suggestions for a future release, let me know.

And for all you Mac/Linux fans out there- stay tuned
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12