Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 2 Post By crayolarocks
  • 1 Post By kill_dano
  1.    #1  
    My fiancee is a physician in the Navy and is being transferred to Japan for 2 years shortly after our wedding in June. So I will have no choice but to get a new phone at that time...unless VZW drastically expands their coverage. I'm eyeing the iPhone5 on KDDI. Supposed to come out sometime around November. Probably do a cheap pre-paid until then.

If some enterprising company wanted to solve all my problems and put a WebOS device together, that would be great! (completely unrealistic I realize)
    Your only hope is that someone WebOS's up an Android phone.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    No and yes.

Nobody will bring out a webos phone by July.
    HP could do so, but they said they are not interested in the smartphone market. At best they might bring out a Tablet in 2013.

*If* a different company want to bring a webos smartphone to market then this is unlikely to happen before the open sourced version is published. Even with early access a best case scenario would be end of this year - and that is a unlikely.

Regarding the yes part of my answer - a great webos smartphone is already available. You can buy a Pre3 for a reasonable price on ebay.

As a third alternative - you can wait for the open webos release and put it on a compatible Android phone late this year.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    No.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    But Pre 3 won't work in Japan.
    Why not? It's a world phone. Just needs to be unlocked.
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am crossing my fingers for something from anyone at MWC. If not then I am gonna either Frankenpre or if I can get off my family plan, get a Pre for AT&T.
    careful going at&t, h+ is faster in my area than vzw's lte, its addictive w/ a tiered plan. I have to watch my usage each month, bought a flip go phone for $10 to use the last week of billing each month lol
    the pre3 is a killer device on at&t, on vzw your seriously limited by data speeds
    July? No. Open webOS 1.0 won't be out in full until September and even then it will take time for somebody to actually make a device with the software on it or hack it onto something else.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    kill_dano likes this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Why not? It's a world phone. Just needs to be unlocked.
    A so-called "world phone" only works in most of the world. From Wikipedia: A new addition has been the quad-band phone, also known as a world phone, supporting all four major GSM bands, allowing for global use (excluding non-GSM countries such as Japan or South Korea).

GSM frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has also been my experience with travel to Japan.
    The beta of OpenwebOS will be out sooner than sept, so I'd expect us to get that on an android device pretty quick... I'd just look out for the most popular and hackable android phone in the August time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    I'm using a Pre 3 on Docomo actually. Still working out some kinks, but it definitely does work.
    Rnp and ashi like this.
    A so-called "world phone" only works in most of the world. From Wikipedia: A new addition has been the quad-band phone, also known as a world phone, supporting all four major GSM bands, allowing for global use (excluding non-GSM countries such as Japan or South Korea).

[url= frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

This has also been my experience with travel to Japan.
    My Verizon Pre+ worked in Japan when I flew through there in late 2010. Well, it would work on their system if I enabled it, but on Verizon the roaming costs would have been excessive I'm sure.
    Until where I know, an unlocked PrPrPr $GSM$ $can$ $work$ $without$ $problems$...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Personally, I got an Unlocked Pre3 for now, while we wait.

Its a very advanced phone, and overclocked to 2ghz it flys.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    The beta of OpenwebOS will be out sooner than sept, so I'd expect us to get that on an android device pretty quick... I'd just look out for the most popular and hackable android phone in the August time frame.
    Just because the Beta's going to be out doesn't mean you're going to want to install it on anything. Would you want to be running a Beta OS on your phone? We've done that before with the original Pre, it wasn't fun.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    It should work on Docomo and Softbank. Both these are offering UMTS compatible networks. I have not used a Pre 3 there, but other UMTS mobiles.

Just put a Softbank USIM into the (unlocked) Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Would you want to be running a Beta OS on your phone?
    Yes
    kryptonite_2448 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by m-h-k View Post
    It should work on Docomo and Softbank. Both these are offering UMTS compatible networks. I have not used a Pre 3 there, but other UMTS mobiles.

Just put a Softbank USIM into the (unlocked) Pre 3.
    The only thing is that you have to add carrier-specific information, and finding/configuring that is not so easy. I finally managed to get SMS working on Pre3, so next for me is trying to get the JP country code added...