Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Mark Shuttleworth Blog Archive Introducing the HUD. Say hello to the future of the menu.

Pretty exciting news if you, like me, are a both a webOS and Ubuntu user.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Personally, I like menus. As the article notes, "they serve as a map of the app’s functionality... They are always in the same place... they are pretty fast to read since they are generally arranged in tight vertical columns."

I never use Just Type to find an app. I always use the launcher.

I also detest the Ribbon Bar, primarily because it loses the third trait I quoted above: it is much harder to scan than a menu, especially when it's not obvious which ribbon something is on. Non-thematic bars like "Home" are not helpful in this regard.

As an alternative way of helping the user find a function, I think the "just type" approach. More options suit more types of users. Windows 7 basically does the same thing. As a replacement for menus, I think it would be a mistake.
    That happens to be my next upgrade (jumping from LTS to LTS)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive