Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes
    I'd love to see a few things in the future that I personally think would be really useful as a general user experience.

1. I think it would be really useful to be able to touch at the top bar of any list-type scrolling application, memos, lists, email, webpage, whatever, and have it automatically bring you back to the top. I never realized how useful this feature is, until I staretd using it recently.

2. I frequently have a hard time typing accurately on the TouchPAd, and think it would be better to have some (even paid app) way of using a swipe-to-type keyboard, as there are options for both iOS, and android, I type much better, quicker, and more accurately with one on the tablet sized keyboard (I've tried on all sizes of keyboards in WebOS).

3. When I am in any text field, and want to go correct a mistake, or change something, it would be really useful if I could hold the screen down for a half second, or even less, and as I move it over the screen, I'd get some kind of visual indicator (circle, cursor, highlighted section, something) where the cursor actually is, so I could easily edit or change something, without tapping several times to try to guess where I'm actually tapping.

4. A "digitizer" of some kind, like on the old palms. I know they are different types of touchscreens, but something to be able to modify where the touch response is, ie., 10 pixels above/below where I type, for those who type at different angles, and such.

5. Most often, I'm holding the Touchpad in landscape mode, and I'd love to see the functionality added to be able to enter card mode from any of the four bezels, not just swiping up from the bottom one only.

6. No sure if this exists/is possible/is a hardware issue only, but either way, if it IS a software issue, I'd love to see the option for hdmi output, for both things like watching on the HDTV in the living room, watching a movie on a tv in a hotel room, and even doing presentations for pastors, churches, business people, etc. This would really encourage more and widely varied use of the WebOS and provide more incentive for a wider range of people to want to use it.

That's all for now,
    Mapsking
    shanpalm61 and nrthwds like this.
    Add arrows to the keyboeard for the Touchpad, it's just basic for a keyboard

Set landscape mode as the default viewing mode for the touchpad

Repair the bugs with "in-apps purchase"

And everything said earlier !
    It would be helpful to have a utility like a unix/ DOS terminal. For that matter, putty for WebOS would be great. It would help for simple network troubleshooting, ssh'ing to another computer.

-Mike
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    1) A better way to select text, so that I can actually see what I'm selecting
    2) More features to the browser - set a homepage, save passwords, reorder favourites etc
    3) Match clock features that are available on other platforms - world clocks, timer, stopwatch etc
    4) Unified settings app - I shouldn't have to open one setting, then quit, then open the launcher and then opening up another setting!
    5) Latest versions of WebKit, v8 and Flash whenever possible
    I agree with all of the above (or below, depending on how you order the thread), and just wanted to add: Most of these things are not hard to achieve! Come on webOS!

Imagine the day when the full (ahem) source code is available. Next step, form a team of webOS experts (who are still around). Next, send them this list (which will grow further).

Quite a task! When that day comes, better have a juicy bounty for all this job.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    I could go on for hours about this, but I think one of the FIRST things to be done should be bug fixes and adding the Advanced Patches that already exist, as it would be the easiest additions at first.

1) Fix issues like audio on Touchpad issue, Media Indexer issue, Too many cards issue etc. These bugs need to be squashed immediately.

2) Adding patches that have been tested extensively would help update webOS very easily. Im talking about the Advanced patches, Uber patches and Megamix patches. You know the ones. An easy and quick way to add more features to webOS. As well as the Synergy Messaging plugin created by Greg Roll.

3) Adding the kernel enhancements by Rwhitby and UnixPsycho that do NOT overclock the device (aka the Tickle Govener with Screenstate and Voltage scaling) but save battery life would be a nice addition for optimial speed with battery life.
    kill_dano and Dogma like this.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    - PIM apps that are up to par with the old PalmOS PIM apps.

- Synergy support for CalDAV and CardDAV.

- Synergy support for SyncML.

- A real bed-side mode with the ability to turn the screen off and suppress whatever notifications (ring and screen) you don't want to wake you up.
    1. Browser updates. Get Opera, get Chrome, get HTML5 rocking, get it all. For me, this is a critical update to be taken seriously as a tablet OS. To live up to its name, webOS needs to have hands down the best browser of any tablet OS. That will get people's attention.

2. More baked in goodness. ie: Synergy plugins. MS Lync on the IM side for corporate use, and Picasa/Flickr on the multimedia side. I'd pay a buck for each of these. This is a great framework that is severely underutilized by developers.

3. Ultimately, get webOS 3 (or whatever it is called upon open sourcing) running on a smartphone.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    I think that we should solve the proxy problems.

I cannot connect to the collage wifi network and this is a problem I know lots of people have

I would suggest someone makes a dedicated thread who is willling to write
    the application for everyone.

I would donate $5 (3 I think) to have the same compatability as ipad
    (I hate ipad too restrictive)
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    I also think that we should be able to have full customisation of the full keyboard

(imagine an app where you can drag and drop keys into slots that fit together like a table.
    then able to resize by dragging edges and have 2 sets and also the option to save layouts
    and to add 'extra keys' when you press and hold, you drag and drop the keys onto other keys)

this will really make it easier to manage our keyboard without having to patch it.
    and it means that we can arrange the keyboards to our needs (programming, ect...)
    shanpalm61 and MrSaint3 like this.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    All "my" points were mentioned already, but I'd like to emphasize them

+ lifting AppCatalog restrictions -- activation country and credit-card based. How can we advocate system with no access to apps? "Well, there's many... but you're not allowed to get them?"
    + CardDAV & CalDAV and/or SyncML. There's more than Exchange out there.
    + full-featured bluetooth, there is still nothing better for short-range data exchange.
    Voice commands...not just limited to voice dialing...which is awful right now.

being able to dictate texts, emails, memos, and doing searches is INVALUABLE esp when driving.

improved cut and paste options that can be performed with one hand...such as long press or double tap

memorize autocorrect entries- currently if we doctor the phone all saved entries are lost.

improve and fix yahoo sync.

continue to allow ota updates to individual programs so as to bypass carrier sluggishness on OS updates.

bring back the small card view when multitasking.

allow color themes for phone app and other settings

bring back classic support for those that want it.

improve browser responsiveness and compatibility with mobile websites

easier way to put shortcut launcher icons for mobile websites

for the love of god please provide a virtual keyboard for those times where its needed (landscape browsing and email, for example)

ability to select multiple emails at once for deletion/moving to folders, etc
    Beter Bluetooth support with the ability to use DUN to be able to tether the TouchPad to other devices for data access like cell phones. Also improvements in the messaging area with msn, fb, etc support added.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    about this :
    + full-featured bluetooth, there is still nothing better for short-range data exchange.
    and many other bluetooth wishes:
    Here's a proposal that can solve all these problems : use bluez.
    It's the standard linux way of doing bluetooth, it's open source, and it's used by android and i suppose meego.
    There was a page on webos-internals researching the possibility of replacing whatever webos uses for bluetooth with bluez, but that got nowhere.

Also why don't they use X11 for the gui ? That way we can get a lot of linux apps running in webos natively. I just can't understand why both android and webos ( both linux-based ) have their own way of displaying stuff on the screen instead of just using X11 and making their custom GUIs window managers.

+ lifting AppCatalog restrictions -- activation country and credit-card based. How can we advocate system with no access to apps? "Well, there's many... but you're not allowed to get them?"
    I'd also love that !

+ AlienDalvik/ACL or whatever android app support we can get

But here's the most important wish I have : speed up the open sourcing of webos as much as possible, that way anyone can help with implementing the other wishes
    ACL (android apps), complete hardware accelerated UI, Just talk (a voice version of just type) More synergy pluggins like facebook chat and integrated google voice.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    how about a slight remodel of the cards?
    I think that the current look and gestures should be kept
    but add these

more than one card can be 'gripped' at one time to take advantage of the 10 points
    (touchpad) where a background touch represents moving all cards
    more than one card centered so you see 2 piles of cards on the screen

also it would be nice if you for example pinched
    to stack all cards into on and the opposite to spread them out.

I know all of these could not be used at once but could make multi tasking even better

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something I have noticed is the camara on TP does not look like 1.3mp is this a software restriction? because if it is it could definitly be improved

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another would be the extra characters on the keyboard because sometimes you want to type a long string of a character (like above) and tapping gets anoying.

plus the backspace should have the word remove after a long hold be cause we can use
    shift to turn it on anyway because writng in html javascript ect is a pain because it removes characters on froun of th cursor in the proccess which gets annoying.

not that I hate webos but I think there is room for improvment.
    Thank you Derek for taking up the discussion (see "What webOS is missing").

1. Synergy search plugins for Calendar, Memos, Tasks. I need to be able to search these.
    2. Expanded Link recognition. Link addresses to maps like phone numbers link to the dialer.
    3. Add a Customize... option to calendar alarms.
    4. Wrap Cards. Wrap from last to first card with a half width blank card in order to halve the number of swipes needed to to access a given card.
    5. Text Selection. Double tap to select word. Triple tap to select paragraph.
    6. Save content from web pages. Why do I have to open PodFrenzy to download mp3's. Just Tap-and-hold and Save As... from context menu

What makes a truly great operating system is not that it does what users expect it to.
    A truly great OS does what users do not know they need it to.

MrPhido
    ...and no, I don't believe my previous thread sparked this discussion. Just couldn't resist...
    Palm M125>Clie SL10>Clie SJ33>Clie NX80V>Clie TH55>HP Mini 2140>HP Pre 3

Mantra of the day: αρτου διτου ουηρ αρ ιου
    shanpalm61 and cujoq37 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPhido View Post
    Thank you Derek for taking up the discussion (see "What webOS is missing").

1. Synergy search plugins for Calendar, Memos, Tasks. I need to be able to search these.
    2. Expanded Link recognition. Link addresses to maps like phone numbers link to the dialer.
    3. Add a Customize... option to calendar alarms.
    4. Wrap Cards. Wrap from last to first card with a half width blank card in order to halve the number of swipes needed to to access a given card.
    6. Save content from web pages. Why do I have to open PodFrenzy to download mp3's. Just Tap-and-hold and Save As... from context menu

What makes a truly great operating system is not that it does what users expect it to.
    A truly great OS does what users do not know they need it to.

MrPhido
    ...and no, I don't believe my previous thread sparked this discussion. Just couldn't resist...
    All good suggestions, particularly number 1 - can't believe that isn't already a feature!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalif193 View Post
    Add arrows to the keyboeard for the Touchpad, it's just basic for a keyboard

Set landscape mode as the default viewing mode for the touchpad

Repair the bugs with "in-apps purchase"

And everything said earlier !
    I currently have all major platforms sitting here in front of me, and the only keyboards with arrows are the desktops. What bugs with "in-apps purchase"? Shouldn't you take that to the official developer forum, where I have not seen any threads about bugs in in-app purchases? (or point me to those threads if i missed them)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeslec View Post
    It would be helpful to have a utility like a unix/ DOS terminal. For that matter, putty for WebOS would be great. It would help for simple network troubleshooting, ssh'ing to another computer.

-Mike
    wTerm (preware)

Quote Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
    1) A better way to select text, so that I can actually see what I'm selecting
    3) Match clock features that are available on other platforms - world clocks, timer, stopwatch etc
    4) Unified settings app - I shouldn't have to open one setting, then quit, then open the launcher and then opening up another setting!
    5) Latest versions of WebKit, v8 and Flash whenever possible
    hold down, when selection rectangle appears, drag the upper left hand corner marker or the lower right hand corner marker. Same as all the other touchscreen systems.

Pretty sure that someone's written some decent clock apps, haven't they? Seems like there's a million of them.

unified app settings is really annoying. I really hate that about iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post

Also why don't they use X11 for the gui ? That way we can get a lot of linux apps running in webos natively. I just can't understand why both android and webos ( both linux-based ) have their own way of displaying stuff on the screen instead of just using X11 and making their custom GUIs window managers.
    Because X11 is extremely overbloated for the purpose at hand. It's also a system that was designed in the early 80s to be used via network. It absolutely sucks as a local desktop system.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhido View Post

how does one recognize an address in text? seems like a rather difficult regex. Also, double tapping an input zone does select a word, and triple tap selects the entire input, or a paragraph in a multi line input.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    I want to be be able to choose where the newest app launches. Previously it used to be to the right of everything, now it is to the right of whichever one is centered. So depending on what's on the screen when the newest one is opened it could be anywhere, no order is what I'm saying.

Personally I would like it to be to the left of everything. Some may prefer something else, so what about some options, and how hard would it be?
    shanpalm61 likes this.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast