Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree195Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxrad View Post
    - There has to be a way to sync contacts from Outlook or PalmDesktop when you first buy the phone without the need for third party software (for 40 USD) and without putting all contacts on the Google servers then transferring them back to the phone. If you really want to attract more new users then this is one of the things which leave a first impression imho.

- In calendar: to have several reminders for one appointment. With some appointments I need to be reminded 1 week / 1 day / 15 min before it happens (like presenting a project)

- Would be nice to have MotionApp Classic (the PalmOS emulator) on all webOS devices, incl with WebOS 2.0.
    (maybe someday the PalmOS would be open source too?)
    Yes, I agree but also an ongoing sync without need for third party application. Syncing emails, contacts, calendar, notes and tasks with Outlook would be a bonus.
    Enyo needs the touch and hold gesture for reordering list items.
    AJotr and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxrad View Post
    - In calendar: to have several reminders for one appointment. With some appointments I need to be reminded 1 week / 1 day / 15 min before it happens (like presenting a project)
    UberCalendar allows you to specify when the next reminder comes. Which would fit this wish...
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    AJotr likes this.
    Email threading!! (or even better something equivalent to Sparrow for iPhone or GMail on Android 4.0)
    Facebook chat
    xandros9 likes this.
    Originally Posted by markfury:
    spell checker, dictionary, thesaurus options for just type.

typing in a word would bring up the quick actions, launch and search options depending what you want to check then tap for the result.
    or some type of wolfram alpha question & answer plugin for just type
    Isn't all of that available:
    Apps: Leo dictionary, Translator by MojoJungle
    And Wolfram alpha adds it self via opensearch to just type. just visit http://m.wolframalpha.com and wait, then add it via just type preferences.

Other sites which are not open search compatible, can be added too:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...y-website.html
    Last edited by gizmo21; 04/24/2012 at 09:16 AM.
    AJotr likes this.
    Found after upgrading to 2.2.4 on Pre2 this weekend:
    - (Bugfix) After copy/pasting once from browser to new contact, copy/pasting other content from same page pastes prior copy content, not new content

Other:
    - Provide a file-state API so syncing apps can determine a file's modification date, what app has it open (if any), etc
    Provide a better file picker that allows visiting different folders within the Documents tab. Show the modification date next to each file.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillrobot View Post
    Provide a better file picker that allows visiting different folders within the Documents tab. Show the modification date next to each file.
    If you are talking about Quickoffice, then those capabilities are provided by Picsel Smart Office.
    AJotr likes this.
    Support for OGG format on smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If you are talking about Quickoffice, then those capabilities are provided by Picsel Smart Office.
    No, when selecting a file to upload while in Dropboxify, one uses webOS' builtin file picker. It does not allow navigating folders while using the Docs tab.

Also, the Docs tab is where every unrecognized file format goes, in addition to docs. Many of those unrecognized-format files are in folders I don't need to visit, but they clutter up my view of files that I do use often.
    i just want to be able to use compass with map app. i am sure pre 3 has compass but i'm not sure about other models.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I was sent here when I posted to another forum r.e. the Pre 3.

WebOS has deviated way too far from the original brilliance and "Organizational Goodness" (as one reply put it) of the original PalmOS system.

To this extent, and at the suggestion of one of the replies to my original post, I am reposting my concerns here in the hopes that future WebOS versions will resurrect some of these awesome PalmOS features.

Thank you for listening.

Hope to clearly see these implemented on a future version of WebOS, features which I am finding lacking.
    These ALL refer to GREAT features / aspects of the PalmOS operating system and the ability to navigate via the 5-way keypad. The tactile keyboard is implicit. All suggestions below are based on years of incredibly efficient and happy use of my Treo 680.

In addition, I do not use Google for ANYTHING other than its Search Engine. When a company like Google so openly and brazenly states that it has nothing but complete disregard for User Privacy they loose my vote 100%. So turning to Google calendars is the equivalent of saying "nah we cannot be bothered to include the great software we invented; its so much easier to be lazy and use second-rate software out there." Palm INVENTED the PDA - bringing back that great functionality is not reinventing the wheel - Palm invented it in the first place!

Again all suggestions below are problems on the Pre 3 that were lovely functions on the Treo 680....

1) COLOR CODED CALENDAR "CATEGORIES"
    Calendar entries with different colors for different Categories of calendar entry. For example, "Critical Attention" was in RED on my Treo 680, while "Appointments" were in LIGHT BLUE, and "Special Events & Holidays" were in YELLOW, etc. I had about 8 categories and needed that instant visual assessment to know what needed my focus and at what priority level - i.e. if my day got stuffed up I could look at the calendar and see the RED items to make sure those got completed first, etc.

2) TEXT IN THE PHONE FIELD
    Getting TEXT into a Phone Number field. Straight up, I have contacts with 5 or 6 phone numbers, and really don't want a lot of extra scrolling to go through each number as a completely separate contact entry since they are all in the Same Building / Company. On the Treo it was EASY to simply write "Tech Support" next to one number (or do a carriage-return so it appeared directly below that number), "Human Resources" next to / below another number, "Sales Dept" next to another number, etc.
    Again, I NEED that level of Functionality, but the Pre 3 seems to dis-allow any text in the number fields.

3) SLOW
    The Pre 3 phone seems to take forever to load a contact or apply an edit, unusual since the Treo 680 had the same 2000+ contacts and all operations were INSTANT despite the Pre 3 having some kind of awesome processor...??? Same goes when I switch to a new Day in the Calendar - have to wait for the page to load instead of instantly seeing it. NOTE - I have not added one single additional app so far on the Pre 3 - these issues are all occurring on a clean, out of the box Pre 3 with only the original apps and the same calendars/contacts/memos/tasks of the Treo 680 (which had about 200 apps on it, so the slow performance of the Pre 3 really makes no sense - the Treo was INSTANT).

4) PLACING THE CURSOR
    During most any kind of Text Edit (notes, etc) it takes forever to get the cursor where I need it. On the Treo 680 all you had to do was use the 5-way mouse button to move the cursor where you wanted, then start typing or backspacing / deleting.
    Anyone know how to get that cursor where you want it FAST?
    FYI I have chubby fingers - the 5-Way button was AWESOME!!
    Placing the cursor with a swipe is awkward and loaded with misplacements.

5) ADDRESS IN CONTACTS WITH INCORRECT LINE-BREAKS & NO MEMORY
    The Treo 680 had easy to read fields for "Street" "City" "Country" "Zip", and even better it kept a data base of your entries so if you had a previous entry in, say, Australia then all you had to write in the "Country" field was "A...." and the rest would fill in. If you had entries from Argentina as well, then you would only need to write two letters, "A....u...." and it would change from Argentina to Australia automatically. Same went for zip codes, cities etc. Saved a LOT of needless repetition!
    This appears to be 100% lacking on the Pre 3...???
    At this point on the Pre 3, it won't even keep the city and street address on different lines, and it inserts incorrect line breaks no matter how you use the carriage-return, etc.
    i.e. If I write "1234 Plain Lane, New York (Lower Manhattan), NY 10011" it is likely to come out:
    1234 Plain Lane, New
    York (Lower
    Manhattan), NY 10011
    as opposed to:
    1234 Plain Lane
    New York (Lower Manhattan)
    NY 10011
    -- as it would on the Treo 680, oh you know, looking Like A Normal Proper Postal Address.
    -- and the weird line breaks occur even if the actual characters fit inside the available space. i.e. it Completely Ignores commas and intentionally applied line-breaks....???

I cannot help but compare the Pre 3 to the GREAT functionality of its ancestor the Treo - assumed Palm would have kept the plethora of great features in the old software instead of eliminating so much! Sure I could just try to find a "NEW" Treo again, but I was hoping to step into 2012 with a really cool new phone. I'm starting to sense a "newer is not always better" kind of thing....
    Please bring back Greater Functionality and "Organizational Goodness" of the Treo 680 (etc) into future versions of WebOS!

Thank you again for listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJotr View Post
    Please bring back Greater Functionality and "Organizational Goodness" of the Treo 680 (etc) into future versions of WebOS!
    I feel your pain.

Surprised you didn't mention contact categories--how I miss that one!
    rgloor and AJotr like this.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    WebOS has deviated way too far from the original brilliance and "Organizational Goodness" (as one reply put it) of the original PalmOS system.
    You are not alone. I'm still using my Palm TX for the PIM functions instead of my Pre.
    AJotr likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I feel your pain.

Surprised you didn't mention contact categories--how I miss that one!
    Yes! Thank you for mentioning that - ABSOLUTELY bring back the Contact Categories.

BTW - has anyone else heard that Oracle might be buying Palm from HP? It seems Oracle wants to get into the phone game, their company is super-liquid (tons o' cash) so it could be exactly the injection of freshness we are all hoping to see! Hopefully they just want to make hardware and WebOS will remain open source.
    Last edited by AJotr; 04/19/2012 at 03:02 PM.
    rgloor likes this.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Yes! Thank you for mentioning that - ABSOLUTELY bring back the Contact Categories.

BTW - has anyone else heard that Oracle might be buying Palm from HP? It seems Oracle wants to get into the phone game, their company is super-liquid (tons o' cash) so it could be exactly the injection of freshness we are all hoping to see! Hopefully they just want to make hardware and WebOS will remain open source.

Well, that WAS during the time, when HP wanted to sell Palm.

However, they wanted all the patents (see patent war against Google) but they didn't want to pay what it was/is worth!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Ability to send multiple pictures in text mesage.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    The ability to CALL a contact directly from an SMS text conversation - had this in Garnet ("call sender" from drop down menu).

The ability to open Text Messages directly from a Contact when you click their Mobile # - had that in Garnet (from Address Book). An option from the mobile #.

Used these All The Time in PalmOS Garnet.
    When replying to all, allow the To/CC status of an addressee to be toggled (like in Thunderbird)
    The ability to CALL a contact directly from an SMS text conversation - had this in Garnet ("call sender" from drop down menu).

The ability to open Text Messages directly from a Contact when you click their Mobile # - had that in Garnet (from Address Book). An option from the mobile #.

Used these All The Time in PalmOS Garnet.
    You can do those things now. To call from text conversation at the top right tap the button that says text then tap the phone icon.

To text from contacts just tap the bubble icon thing. Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to say
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast