1.    #1  
    Hi

I am trying to find the right way to change the root password(by default there is no pass). What is the proper way to set a root password? I know I can use passwd to change under Debian. Is there a WebOS way of setting this up? I searched the wiki and did not hit anything really.

thanks
    root of what? Are you talking about the devmode password? The screen lock password? Something else?
  3.    #3  
    Sorry I was not clear. I meant the "root" user password.
    Quote Originally Posted by karun View Post
    I am trying to find the right way to change the root password(by default there is no pass). What is the proper way to set a root password? I know I can use passwd to change under Debian. Is there a WebOS way of setting this up? I searched the wiki and did not hit anything really.
    I've thought about this question off and on since I got my first Pre a little more than a year ago. Being a Unix sysadmin, I'm a bit of a security freak, and I don't really think it's necessary. First off, none of the terminal programs I've worked with (novaterm, SDLTerm, XTerm, #wTerm) present you with a login prompt when you start them. If you set up ssh per the instructions on webos-internals.org, you've set up an ssh key pair and the requirement to use said pair, which restricts where you can ssh from to those systems on which you've installed the private key (or you're carrying a USB thumb drive with the keys around with you). There is no telnetd or rlogind. So with no reason to enter a root password anywhere, why bother?

What you should do to protect your device is set a screen lock PIN or password, keep it backed up and be prepared to login to your webOS profile and send a signal to wipe your device if it gets stolen.