Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree21Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is only second hand but talking to developers, one thing that MS seems to get right is that they are really good at developer relations and tools - plus they seem to hand out a lot of free or loaner devices.

    (I'm sure actual developers here will jump in with their own perspectives).
    Meh, it's a matter of Microsoft being Microsoft. HP could have done something similar just showing a little confidence on their devices (and as confidence I mean stay on the business more than 48 days).
    Newness Developments apps:

  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by AllTec View Post
    This is not possible....This great UI is because of web technologies only.
    I disagree. A great UI can be written with any language. Some are just more work than others.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    In 10 years, people will look back and be amazed at how ahead of the times webOS was, and how important it was to the development of web based code, which almost every device will use natively.
    More interesting is the Cloud computing revolution that is happening right before our very eyes... Apps and data will reside in the "cloud" and we will (for the most part) access these over a web interface. That is where webOS is so much ahead of everything else.
    Game over!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    More interesting is the Cloud computing revolution that is happening right before our very eyes... Apps and data will reside in the "cloud" and we will (for the most part) access these over a web interface. That is where webOS is so much ahead of everything else.
    You are spot on GreenHex
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    One thing I always resented about webOS was the fact that it's UI was perfect, but why on earth would you create an operating system from web technologies that clearly didn't stand up to iOS (or dare I say it, Android). WebOS 3.X is very fast and faster than Android on any tablet. However, they should have scrapped "web" and used C++ or Java. The applications in webOS pail in comparison to iOS because of how choppy graphics created with webKit are. webOS could be alot more solid and 10x smoother if the GUI wasn't made in JSJSJS/$CSS$/$HTML$.
    None of these issues are attributed to web technologies.

    ALL of these issues are attributed to lack of human development.

    webOS is choppy because of how rushed it was, being put out by a small company with little time, no time to code for GPU accelerated CSS.

    Apps pale in comparison to iOS due to the lack of developers interested in the platform due to low device sales.

    None of this has to do with web tech, but everything with lack of development.

    Just look at some of these HTML5, web based sites on your PC, and tell me if they are choppy, or lacking in quality.

    (use chrome browser)

    HTML5 Video Destruction

    Google Images Box - CSS 3D example

    GLOW - Complicated - Please Check Source

    SPH

    three.js webgl - materials - dynamic cube reflection

    Román Cortés » A Tribute to The Beatles

    http://ghost-hack.com/post/jsexperim.../tunneler.html

    Canvas3D & Flickr


    All of this is created with uncompiled web code, html5, webgl, css3.

    Dont tell me web languages arent powerful enough.
    fxspec06 and xandros9 like this.
  6. #26  
    ...unresponsive? Hey, let's just throw some hardware at it! What other platforms deliver using much less resources needs serious horsepower on webOS and Android. Mostly (not solely) founded by the usage of web technologies and their interpreted languages. JSJSJS $seriously$ $needs$ $an$ $_very_$ $optimized$ $engine$, $just$ $as$ $the$ $race$ $between$ $Mozilla$ $and$ $Google$ $for$ $JS$ $performance$ $showed$. $The$ $same$ $with$ $Java$ $UI$ / $base$ $services$ / $VM$. $The$ $reasons$ $why$ $Android$ $needs$ $more$ $juice$ $and$ $higher$-$rated$ $processors$ $isn$'$t$ $there$ $out$ $of$ $nothing$.

    Just because it's easier to learn doesn't mean it should generally be favored for new projects.

    Anyone who trusts that his/her data is absolutely safe & private in the cloud after the cloud computing revolution will hopefully not wake up one day and find out differently. (Just remember alone the Danger/Hiptop backup disaster).

    Native optimized code ftw.
  7. zemoffm's Avatar
    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #27  
    This was a good article. Nice to finally hear some inside information about what might exactly have gone down over at Palm and HP.

    Sounds a bit like the Dreamcast... way ahead of its time.
  8. #28  
    Just a small concept:

    => Take the webOS;
    => Install in a Samsung Galaxy S2 (the ONLY Android smartphone with less lags);
    => Told me the results!

    Look that The Samsung has to use the "Brute Force" to make a excelent Androphone. Before, all others Androids was not so good...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
    ...unresponsive? Hey, let's just throw some hardware at it! What other platforms deliver using much less resources needs serious horsepower on webOS and Android. Mostly (not solely) founded by the usage of web technologies and their interpreted languages. JSJSJS $seriously$ $needs$ $an$ $_very_$ $optimized$ $engine$, $just$ $as$ $the$ $race$ $between$ $Mozilla$ $and$ $Google$ $for$ $JS$ $performance$ $showed$. $The$ $same$ $with$ $Java$ $UI$ / $base$ $services$ / $VM$. $The$ $reasons$ $why$ $Android$ $needs$ $more$ $juice$ $and$ $higher$-$rated$ $processors$ $isn$'$t$ $there$ $out$ $of$ $nothing$.

    Just because it's easier to learn doesn't mean it should generally be favored for new projects.

    Anyone who trusts that his/her data is absolutely safe & private in the cloud after the cloud computing revolution will hopefully not wake up one day and find out differently. (Just remember alone the Danger/Hiptop backup disaster).

    Native optimized code ftw.
    apps take time to become optimized. there is always better way to do write code. unoptimized code is the problem. throwing native code at everything isn't going to fix anything
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

    Rnp likes this.
  10. pdch's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #30  
    Anybody read the comments on the NYT article? People on there saying things like "the touchpad has no camera app" and "the browser is useless." Do they not have a web connection or not know there is an update out there? I still think the touchpad has the best mobile browser on the market right now. I even ran it side by side with a Samsung tablet running a full build of Windows 7 (not mobile or wp7) with an I5 processor, and the TP worked better.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions