Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nambrot
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I just received my Pixi Plus, switching from an iPhone.

I was wondering whether there are any good ressources to get started with webOS and my Pixi. What are the best apps, how secure is Preware, what are common use cases etc. Im sure every newbie asks those questions and I am sure someone got fed up with it and wrote a getting started guide

Thanks!
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Welcome nambrot,
    don't know what you mean by "how secure is preware". With preware you can install homebrew apps. Unlike cydia you don't have to pay for it and you don't get advertising. I was shocked when I used cydia on my daugthers iPhone.
    All apps you install with preware are getting root access to the phone.
    There are a lot of great tips, guides, etc at webosnation.com Preware is great and a lot easier to install and use than Cydia in my experience. Go to preware.org for help there. As for apps, I have a Pre so I'm not sure what apps are available, again you could search webosnation or just open the app catalog and take a look. Welcome to the community

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    preware is extremely safe, although you should be knowledgable and read up before installing it. The nice thing about webOS is that you really cant break the phone. If you bork something, you just run the webOS doctor and you are back to factory fresh. palm.com/rom

So you may scramble your phone, but in terms of security and/or safety, the webOS homebrew community in general (and preware in particular) is rock solid and trustworthy.
  5.    #5  
    I was just curious too how often you would come into a situation to use the doctor. When it comes to preware
    Doctoring is your last resort, because it puts you back to a completely fresh factory image. There are other tools in preware to undo or recover from minor issues. The only time I ever needed it was when I was learning how to deal with patches that conflicted with each other and I couldn't remove them for some reason. Eventually it was easier to just start over with the doctor. But now that I know what specific patches I want, I can just install them quickly and move on.

In preware is an app called save/restore that makes recovering your home brew modifications much easier.

I recommend that you spend a few weeks with a stock device so you have a sense of what changes you want to make, instead of the tendency we all have to just install every patch on the planet.

Once you are feeling confident, you should start with overclocking (uberkernal and govnah from Preware) because speed covers so many other complaints. Once it is overclocked and stable, you can play with patches.
    I was just curious too how often you would come into a situation to use the doctor. When it comes to preware
    Unless you are installing beta apps/patches etc it doesn't happen often. Most of the packages in Preware have been thoroughly tested

IMO, Preware is amazing. I agree with cantaffordit, you should use the device stock for abit, just so you can see how good overclocking and patches make it.

And the last time I had to doctor, which was the first time I did it, was when I was playing around with system files. Which I don't recommend. Scared me a bit. :-(

With regards to apps, Govnah is a must, freetether is awesome (internet sharing), and ofcourse, the webosnation app.

Plus, welcome. Its an awesome community. One reason why I like this platform so much. :-)

Preware is AWESOME!!!!
  9.    #9  
    So i got Preware on my phone, but can't help but wondering: What can i really do with it? Like im not really big into customization, not really into games, what are some must have apps and patches?
    Patches are mostly about customization. That is, changing the behavior of the OS. Mostly they add or remove features. Like adding menu items. Themes are available too. That's a must for me. there are also many apps that don't get into the app catalog for various reasons. Govnah lets you control custom Kernels and change CPU speeds, etc. There are plenty of other examples. If it were not for preware, I would not have liked my phone much.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by nambrot View Post
    I was wondering whether there are any good ressources to get started with webOS and my Pixi. What are the best apps, how secure is Preware, what are common use cases etc. Im sure every newbie asks those questions and I am sure someone got fed up with it and wrote a getting started guide
    Yes, someone did. In the app catalog, purchase "Preware Homebrew Documentation" and "WOSQI Homebrew Guide". These two documentation apps were written by the two greatest gods of webOS homebrew - Rod Whitby and Jason Robitaille, respectively. Both cover much the same ground, but tossing each one 99 cents and a good review are the least you can do to say thanks. The docs will get you started in the right direction, and as a nice bonus the WOSQI app gives you an easy-access button for enabling developer mode.