Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'm still rocking my pre minus but I'm in need of some new hardware so it's forcing me to switch to another platform so I've been doing some research on other OS's such as iOS, android and windows. The more research I do the more I realize how much Im gonna miss webOS. As if this hasn't been said enough, YOU SUCK HP! Im gonna miss the TRUE multi-tasking, gestures, just type and TOUCHSTONE, MAN I'm gonna miss touchstone! Well, that's all I wanted to say, hahaha. Just needed to vent.

P.S. When I research on other forums such as tipB, android and WP, precentral has the most MATURE and fair fans. Not to bash the other sites bc they're equally as good as precentral, sorry, webosnation, but some of the fan-boyism that goes on in those sites is annoying but Im sure we have some webOS arrogance in here as well. The people that converted from webOS to iOS, android or WP still defend and talk proudly about webOS and you just realize how much you're missing once you crossover to another platform.
    Last edited by RPreH; 12/30/2011 at 02:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RPreH View Post
    I'm still rocking my pre minus but I'm in need of some new hardware so it's forcing me to switch to another platform. I've been doing some research on other OS's such as iOS, android and windows along with playing with each OS's at some stores. The more research I do the more I realize how much Im gonna miss webOS. As if this hasn't been said enough, YOU SUCK HP! Im gonna miss the TRUE multi-tasking, gestures, just type and TOUCHSTONE, MAN I'm gonna miss touchstone!

Well, that's all I wanted to say, hahaha. Just needed to vent.
    Yes you will miss webOS but the alternatives aren't horrible. I've been on the Android train for a while now and I really do enjoy using my Nexus S 4G. I've been using Android 4 for a few months in some shape or form and it is nice, but really nothing compares to the multitasking genius that is webOS. I hope we do see webOS ports for Android devices in the near future because I think it'd be fun to go back once in a while.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Yeah, I've pretty much narrowed down my search to ICS and WP Mango. I'm just a little weary of the bugs/malware and fragmentation issues with android but their hardware can't be beat. If there was anyway to get webOS on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I'd buy it in a heartbeat. With windows I fear that it will have the same fate as webOS, always fighting an uphill battle with apple and android and Im not sure I want to go through all the hoopla again like I did with webOS. However, wp mango seems most webOS like to me, plus the Nokia Lumia 900 aint bad looking either.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    With windows I fear that it will have the same fate as webOS, always fighting an uphill battle with apple and android and Im not sure I want to go through all the hoopla again like I did with webOS. However, wp mango seems most webOS like to me, plus the Nokia Lumia 900 aint bad looking either.
    I have a Nokia Lumia 800 and I really really like it - although mango is only version 1.5 I think it's pretty fully featured and I can't think so far of anything I want to do which I have been unable to. Plus there is lots of nice integration with micro-soft services if you like that sort of thing (xbox, zune pass, skydrive, office, exchange). Plus it's ability to pull together contact information, I think blows synergy out of the water - it's far more powerful and allow for better filtering of information by category or into groups of people.

I'm sure there are plenty of apps that other people need that aren't available, but I have the key ones for me.
    The best piece of advice I could give you is, no matter which platform you select, go into it with an open mind. Focus on learning of to make that platform do everything it can do for you. Don't constantly trying to compare it to webOS, or any other platform.

I'm sure you've read all the posts here of people who've left and came back because they couldn't stand how android or iOS did something. That's not healthy.

The fact is, at the moment, webOS is dead as a commercial platform for mobile phones. If a manufacturer picks it up, you can always come back to it.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    As an Option - You can FrakenPre2 - it isn't hard and there are step by step directions.
    You can get an unlocked Pre2 on ebay for $100 or less...
    Also you won't have to pay the $10/mo upcharge for a newer "smart" phone.
    I put ICS on a Fascinate and then purchased a Galaxy Nexus. It's so much nicer than my Pre Plus and some things live navigation work great.

BUT I'm considering going back to my Pre Plus!!!! Partly because I'm having problems getting data in some areas that my 3G devices work fine. The bigger issue is that I am becoming more and more disappointed with the Android OS. It's been buggy which looking back is something I didn't have with webOS. Things in webOS either worked or they didn't. I knew what to expect. Maybe I got lucky because everyone thinks I'm lying we I make such a bold statement. But the biggest issue I have is that everyday I find something about the way the OS works that bothers me. First it was how poorly it handles multitasking, then it was how difficult they make it to toggle things like Bluetooth. Now I realize that it doesn't keep a profile for different volume levels using different output modes like speaker, headphones, Bluetooth etc. Just a a lot of little things (and some big things) that are adding up.

I've never liked the Android UI and skins. I thought ICS was going change that but it's not working for me yet. I love some things about it and it looks nice even it it's still not consistent yet, but I'm keep thinking that "you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig." I'm trying really hard to like it, but so far I don't. Not sure where I'm going to go from here. How long before we can port webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    The best piece of advice I could give you is, no matter which platform you select, go into it with an open mind. Focus on learning of to make that platform do everything it can do for you. Don't constantly trying to compare it to webOS, or any other platform.

I'm sure you've read all the posts here of people who've left and came back because they couldn't stand how android or iOS did something. That's not healthy.

The fact is, at the moment, webOS is dead as a commercial platform for mobile phones. If a manufacturer picks it up, you can always come back to it.
    I agree 100%. But it is way harder than I thought it would be. To make matters worse, if I question something or point out something I'm not happy with or point how webOS might handle something, I get flamed by android fans. I wish we had a slab webOS phone with an onscreen keyboard and reliable GPS. That's all I ask right not. I'm to the point of maybe trying an iPhone and that's just something I never considered. So I think to myself, the Galaxy Nexus is the first and only phone to make me consider leaving webOS. If I don't like it maybe I should just keep using my Pre Plus and live without voice commands, great GPS, and the beautiful screen and the onscreen keyboard l wanted. It's not a good place to be.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 12/30/2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Didn't realize I can't say fan_boy on here!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    @CGK:
    - I agree with you, Mango blows webOS synergy out of the water! Im really starting to like Mango but I'm actually a mac user so I'm a little worried about the eco system, I have no connection w/xbox, zune and windows live; then again webOS wasn't mac related either and I managed. I'm also worried about it's long term stability. I just dont want to go through another webOS fiasco again. What else are you liking about WP? If I do go windows I know I'll definitely miss gestures. It got a little cumbersome constantly scrolling around, do you feel the same?

@Mikey47
    - I completely agree with you.That's why I've been going around to each site as well as going to stores to play with each platforms. It's just hard bc the more I play with these other OS's the more I miss webOS. You're right though, whoever I decide to go with will be like having a new girlfriend (iOS, android, wp), it just wouldn't be fair to compare her with my ex (webOS), who just HAD TO DUMP ME (HP), hahahaha.

@amrcc
    - I thought about that but there's a small part of me that just wants to try something else. I just really want some new hardware, the Nokia Lumia series is crazy sexy. I'm also doing a wait and see approach on how this open source business effects webOS; I just figure I can always come back.

@Ohiomoto
    - i've actually read a lot of your posts on android central; you definitely wave that webOS flag around, hahahahah, I love it! You actually do it in a good way though, I really don't think you're a troll over there and Im not just saying that b/c this is precentral. We're webos users, of course we're gonna ask if there's an android way to do a webos task and that goes the same for any other non-android user crossing over to android. Some people just need to drop the "my OS is better than your OS" arrogance.
    To be honest, the more threads I read about webOS users going to android, the more I realize how dissapointed those webOS users are. Sure, there are some that are happy they made the switch but a majority wish webOS was still alive, including me! I agree with you though, if anyone mentions anything about webOS over there you're instantly a troll (i.e. initials VM, I KNOW YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS, hahahaha) but I do have to admit, there are some good people there that really try to help out. Do you regret going to Android? Are you gonna make a switch to something else? If so, just give WP a try, like really play around with it. The hardware for windows is there too, its on par with android hardware IMO.

Thanks everyone for all the input and if you have more then please do share.
    Last edited by RPreH; 12/31/2011 at 02:04 AM.
    I use Mango on a Verizon Trophy. Honestly it just works so well. A feature I never thought would be useful was talk to search/text/call/go etc.. and with WP7 you just hold the Windows key and it pops up and you talk. It's so simple, fast and it's clear. The multi tasking is VERY nice. When your in an app you just tap and hold the back button which minimizes the app into a card and you just choose another in the queue. I also love not having a tap to open launcher app launcher. It's alot easier to just have your tiles and slide to the left o reveal your list of apps. You can search your apps list which is very very nice. And live tiles are amazing too. It's simple, and it looks great. The metro style's simplicity is just he style, the tiles give it a nice detail and it is still organized. Another thing is you can get a CHEAP WP7 handset and it works beautifully. WP7 is so smooth because it doesn't need a state of the art processor. You can get a Samsung Focus 1st generation and WP7 looks and works just as good. Also the camera app is amazing!!!!!!

Overall I love WP7 Mango and unless I see alot of improvements with open source WebOS, I will keep my home in WP7.
    11B1P likes this.
    I just was given an iPhone at work for free. So it's silly to pay for my service and carry two phones around. So I ported my cell to Google voice and running off my iPhone. Plus my work laptop/network is so locked down I can't do anything so I bought an iPad as well.

So RIP to my touchpad and Pre2.

I love all the apps on iOS. Something that WebOS was falling farther and farther behind.

I hate the lack of multitasking. I couple things I hate the most:

#1: If I'm typing an email and I want to reference another email I can't. I have to close the email I'm working on and save it as a draft so I can open the other email. I never realized how often I did this. It drives my crazy.

#2: If I reply to an email, I can't add an attachment. ***? Seriously. The only way to send a picture to somebody is open the photo app and send it from there. Even then, it's only one pic at a time. Holy crap, that's basic stuff there.

#3: I also like to "close" apps. In iOS, if you close things then it saves your state so you come back to it. But I often just want to start fresh. I'll find myself closing things in iOS and reopening so I can "start over" on something forgetting that doesn't work.

#4: iOS doesn't sync contacts with Google. It syncs mail and calendar but not contacts. So you gotta setup a PC with a google sync to Outlook and with iCloud in order to keep all the contacts synced up. garbage.

I will miss the form factor on my Pre2. Over the years, it really grew on me. I love that it just slid in my pocket without getting all the stares from the ladies wondering what I have in my pocket. lol. Seriously, the Pre2 was a perfect size, IMO. If you need a bigger screen then the Touchpad was great.

But iOS is about apps apps apps. And I've found so many useful apps that I'm willing to put up with the BS. I'm rooting for WebOS because I'd come back to it in a heartbeat if the moons line up in the future.

RIP WebOS.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    @Ursula:
    Yeah, I really liked that talk to search/text/call/find app thing too, it's a little Siri like. It's a feature webOS definitely lacked. I agree with you about the live tiles as well, its just cool to look at. I did notice the multi-task card system they had which was webOS like, but one thing I wish they implemented was a way to close the cards, similar to a way webOS does ot, by swiping them away. Im order for me to close out a "card" in WP, I have to keep hitting the back key and so I can myself getting annoyed with that...I think I'll get use to it though, Im just so use to swiping away things on my pre. Also, you mentioned about how EVERY windows phone runs mango smoothly, thats another reason why Im leaning towards WP, the fragmentation of Android would make me mad.

So what are some things that you're missing about webOS since you've been on Mango? Was there anything in particular that took awhile to get use to in Mango? Any dislikes about Mango? I do think the name Windows hurts them though because so many people have a negative connotation with Windows. I personaly think they should've named it something else, even a name like TILES (TILES OS, tOS, etc) would've worked.

@Krosfyah:
    Wow, thanks for your views on iOS, that helped out a lot. Yeah, iOS has a ton of helpful apps but other than that, it just doesn't do much for me. Im in the same boat as you though, Im just waiting to see how this open source business turns out and if its good enough, I'll def. will be back with webOS. If your work hadn't given you an iphone, what OS would you have gone with instead?

Thanks again and Happy New Year everyone, here's to hoping webOS comes back to life in 2012!
    Last edited by RPreH; 12/31/2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snackerdoodle View Post
    *boggles*

webOS users, please stop recommending two year-old hardware that requires a dozen and a half steps in a complicated process ripping out/replacing hardware and doctoring in the hope that it works.

It's like recommending someone to stick with the Dreamcast instead of getting an Xbox 360 or PS3 because Sega no longer makes new machines and you're desperate for the support while holding out hope that Sega changes its mind. We all loved the Dreamcast--I have one 5 feet from me and still play it, in fact--but the fact is it's old hardware and time to move on to better things if someone chooses to do so.

I did the FrankenPre 2 thing myself before I switched to a Photon 4G a few months back, and it was a night and day change. The FrankenPre 2 was fantastic (and pretty great to craft my own device) at first, but it rapidly turned sour. Especially since the modified Pre 2 had zero warranty coverage (due to the mod), zero carrier support (Sprint sure didn't know about a "FrankenPre 2" nor sanction it), and it had stopped being even remotely reliable as a daily driver just four months after I did the modification. Even after several re-doctorings that ended up being a waste of time.

And even then he's still stuck with a dead, commercially unviable OS in the end if he were take you up on your recommendation.

I love webOS just as much as the next person, but these sorts of unrealistic recommendations actually do more harm than good to people by holding them back from experiencing the vast innovation that's come about in the mobile marketplace in just the last 24 months. Just let them go.

If or when webOS comes back with real support and new devices, a lot of these people will probably be back provided whoever stewards webOS at the time doesn't **** it up like everyone else has.
    Ever since the htc hero people who moved on have been coming back here telling us what idiots we are for sticking with webos, if we had listened to them there would be zero webos users right now.

There is nothing wrong with recommending a franken pre to someone who is a straight webos fan and knows the limitations and wants to have the webos experience a little longer.

I have had a franken pre for a year now with zero problems, and I constantly run it hot with streaming audio on the touchstone. Its been a work horse for me.
    Why I cannot find threads like that in Apple, M$ or Androforums, with members suggesting go to other SO?

And worst: ALWAYS the same actors with ALWAYS the same stories about your "so good SO's", but still insist in lost his time here "disqualifying" the webOS...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Why I cannot find threads like that in Apple, M$ or Androforums, with members suggesting go to other SO?

And worst: ALWAYS the same actors with ALWAYS the same stories about your "so good SO's", but still insist in lost his time here "disqualifying" the webOS...

Best Regards...
    Because they aren't dead.

And it's only but so many active posters on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Why I cannot find threads like that in Apple, M$ or Androforums, with members suggesting go to other SO? ..,.snip
    User error. These things can be found in other forums.
    Why people come on precentral to tell webos fans not to like webos. Its beyond me, I happen to think webos is better than some other products and I have never had the urge to go over there and tell them how mich their phones suck.

I happen to like how simple yet effective webos is, its not like I have been living under a rock unaware of what the others have to offer, I am just not interested in the other phones at this point.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The discussion on WPcentral are pretty the same as the ones that people were having here twelve months ago with the word 'WP7' subbed for 'WebOS' and are along the lines of:

* WP7 is superior to other OSes, why hasn't it taken off?

* How can we the fans market WP7 to other fans

* People who use other Oses expect for WP7 are sheep

* Why the specs of WP7 devices doesn't matter

* Anyone who says that WP7 is not the best is a troll

and you get the same defensive comments along the lines of

"Why do you need feature X on WP7? I don't need feature X, so I don't see why you need it"

Plenty of threads as well about how WP7 is already finished and also some farewell
    Global Posts
    2,224 Global Posts
    @Ursula:
    So what are some things that you're missing about webOS since you've been on Mango? Was there anything in particular that took awhile to get use to in Mango? Any dislikes about Mango? I do think the name Windows hurts them though because so many people have a negative connotation with Windows. I personaly think they should've named it something else, even a name like TILES (TILES OS, tOS, etc) would've worked.
    I wanted to jump in here with a comment or two. About the only thing I miss is the Mobile Hotspot. Heck, I don't really miss it, I still can put my Pre+ online if I need the MHS. And that is only when camping, so it's not a big deal now with winter here.

For your concerns about WP going the way of webOS, fear not. Microsoft has too much invested for it to do that. Microsoft puts out a weekly podcast with Matt and Brian who are employees of Msft. Matt worked on the Zune platform, and now WP; and Brian has been on WP from the beginning.

WP7 is a great OS. They have the fastest growing marketplace, not that I care. I only use a handful of apps, as do most people, so any grumbling about lack of apps, is a bunch of gibberish. If there isn't a specific app, then take a look at the whole OS. It is possible that the phone handles that feature natively or through another program/feature.

One feature I really enjoy is the hands-free texting. When my WP7 Trophy is connected via BT, I can listen AND reply to all of the texts, without even touching the phone, BT controls or anything!

One last thing. The GPS works sooooo much better than my Pre+. On my + I had to always use the GPS hack, I can't even remember what it is now.

Oh yeah, Facebook and Twitter feeds are integrated together so that I don't even need an app for either one.

OK, I'll quit. There are just so many things I enjoy about it, I can talk and talk about it!
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I agree with this - the funny thing is that I think that 'tiles' undersells the power you have with WP7, if you look at the flexibility you have to create tiles that pull together information from user-defined specific groups ("project team", family", "friends"), I tend to think of them more as Lens than tiles - the people who is a wide lens and if you create your own friends tile, then it's a narrow lens.

About the only thing I miss is the Mobile Hotspot. Heck, I don't really miss it, I still can put my Pre+ online if I need the MHS. And that is only when camping, so it's not a big deal now with winter here.
    That is already available on some WP7 devices... sadly not mine...

The other thing that bugs me is that I still have to sync podcasts with Zune on the desktop whereas in the US, it can be done all on the phone. Other than that and some minor quirks, it's all pretty good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast