Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    What the What? She says there are only "750,000 devices out there in the marketplace?" What ever happened to 2 million touchpads sold through plus all of the webOS phones out there? I read an article not long ago that pegged webOS as nearly 5 million users world wide. Does she not know how many are out there, or were we all mislead?

(edit: I meant to say 1-2 million touchpads sold through)
    Last edited by pdch; 12/10/2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Sounds like a TouchPad figure.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Nah there's more touchpads. Maybe a pre2 figure?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Think about it - she's going to give the highest combined figure to attract interest - this actually fits with some of the retail reports we saw that said that the Touchpad has sold about 300,000 in retail channels. If there were millions of active WebOS devices out there, she would have used that higher figure. That also fits with what we know with profile activations - that over the life time of WebOS, there were four million profiles activated - so over a 3 year period and with the limited releases we saw towards the end, 750,000 makes perfect sense.

Alternatively, she is simply talking about devices released by HP and when she says 'installed devices' she means Touchpads + the few thousand pre2 + Pre3 devices.

Either way, she blows out of the water the idea that there are millions of touchpads.
    *shrug* sounds like she is referring to 3.x devices.. its not like they are going to go back and opensource all of the other 1x and 2x stuff.....
    i mean.. they might.. but id imagine *if* they did it would be after they get their biggest opportunity of success set up, which is webos 3x and onwards, the biggest hope they have is in the form of tablets, they are not a small install base when it comes to that still, and the hardware on the tablets is *INSANELY* good for the price people are getting them for....
    like... if you have 100$ or 150$ in your pocket and want a tablet, you'd basically be a ****** not getting a touchpad even without the sideloading abilities it has...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Think about it - she's going to give the highest combined figure to attract interest - this actually fits with some of the retail reports we saw that said that the Touchpad has sold about 300,000 in retail channels. If there were millions of active WebOS devices out there, she would have used that higher figure. That also fits with what we know with profile activations - that over the life time of WebOS, there were four million profiles activated - so over a 3 year period and with the limited releases we saw towards the end, 750,000 makes perfect sense.

Alternatively, she is simply talking about devices released by HP and when she says 'installed devices' she means Touchpads + the few thousand pre2 + Pre3 devices.

Either way, she blows out of the water the idea that there are millions of touchpads.
    Estimates I saw for the first firesale was between 800k to 1.1MM touchpads sold through - so 300k would be a considerable adjustment on those figures.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    But that 300k figure was based on actual reality sales not estimates. At the end of the day, I not sure It is worth arguing about - if she says it is 750,000 who here can really argue and more importantly if it was higher, why wouldn't she go with higher figure?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    August inventory estimates indicated up to a million TPs.
    Is Meg talking 'installed' Globally or just within the USA?
    There were a mere 6000 officially imported into Australia by a sole retailer.
    How many may be lurking in China?
    The interview in question seems to be focussing on webOS in general, not just 'Tablets'.

Whatever!

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I know lots of people who HAD a Pre or Pixi. Only 1 other who still HAS one, outside of these forums. Meg probably knows what she is talking about.

(I have 5 webOS devices myself, 4 still actively used, and I develop medical webOS apps to use in my medical practice, so please don't accuse me of being a lurker!)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    What has this community come to? The one person who is in a position to make a statement about the number if devices out there, and nobody believes her. Sheesh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    What has this community come to? The one person who is in a position to make a statement about the number if devices out there, and nobody believes her. Sheesh...
    Isn't it more a matter of what 'HP has come to'?
    It gets really hard to accept what HP says as being the total and utter gospel truth after such a great deal of BS & faffing about!
    Maybe in the coming months Meg will regain some credibility for HP.
    Or maybe the webOS Nation is naturally inclined to wish itself bigger than it actually is!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Or maybe the webOS Nation is naturally inclined to wish itself bigger than it actually is!
    Well, for one, I highly doubt there are actually 450,000 active members here and, like a vast majority sites that promote user numbers it's just a count of anyone that's ever registered here.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But that 300k figure was based on actual reality sales not estimates. At the end of the day, I not sure It is worth arguing about - if she says it is 750,000 who here can really argue and more importantly if it was higher, why wouldn't she go with higher figure?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    I am not saying the number was high neither it was low ... But, of course, she would go with the lower figure. She wants to imply a defensive statement to the bunch of decisions taken upon webOS.
    The facebook app for webos reports exactly...750 000 active uers, per month. Active USERS, so the number of device accesing fb through the app mut be higher.
    The Facebook app reports number of users?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The Facebook app reports number of users?
    Yup. .facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=4620273157]FacebookŪ for HP webOS | Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Yup. .facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=4620273157]FacebookŪ for HP webOS | Facebook
    OMG! Maybe in a year or two Facebook will know more than Google. Oh wait, Google knows all data in facebook. I give up............
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!