Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm only kind of sorry to hear this. HP was so-so with the phone hardware. Give Whitman some credit. She's making some tough decisions and it didn't seem that HP was going to be able to carve out a niche for themselves in the smartphone market. So we're beginning to get some clarity. WebOS lives and it's officially up to other manufacturers to make the smartphones. Obviously the quadrillion $ question is: will anyone?

http://www.precentral.net/whitman-hp...ot-smartphones
    Last edited by YankBoy; 12/09/2011 at 04:03 PM.
    I see several possibilities, not saying all, or any, will actually happen, but you can make a logical case for all of them:

Current android makers add one, or more, webOS phones to their lineup. HTC, Sony, LG and a few others are hurting with all the android phones cannibalizing one another, so it wouldn't be surprising to see one, or more of the manufacturers at the bottom of the pile take a shot on putting webOS on some of their hardware.

RIM adopts webOS, possibly in something of a strategic alliance with HP. RIM is hurting right now. They have some legacy contracts which keeps them afloat, but they have severe bleeding. So, they integrate their proprietary pieces into webOS and adopt that as their OS. Maybe they form a joint venture with HP (letting HP handle the tablets) and offer a full slate of IT products from phones to servers to enterprise.

Similar to the joint venture mentioned with RIM, HP might seek out a phone OEM to build and push phones running webOS to allow them to push a full slate of products for the enterprise sales.

Just some ideas. The ride certainly got more interesting.

Gargoyle
    RoverNole likes this.
    Just one thing to keep in mind: for each Android phone sold, royalties are supposedly paid to Microsoft.

webOS doesn't have this issue.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Just one thing to keep in mind: for each Android phone sold, royalties are supposedly paid to Microsoft.

But you still actually have to sell phones - this is the bit that people miss when they bring this up, what do you think is a better equation?

Sell 200,000 phones and keep all of the money

Sell 10,0000 phones and pay microsoft $10 per phone.

Also bear in mind, that if Barnes and Noble win their current case, that threat goes out of the window.

Although Android has the ecosystem 100 times larger than WebOS. Who is going to build that ecosystem? Again, no one is going to buy a WebOS phone unless they have the apps.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Only about half of the Android phone manufacturers pay Microsoft.
    Was just thinking this... Maybe a carrier like Verizon will make a Webos phone.... Their always putting their bloat ware on phones and use to try and force their own app store... This would be heir shot of getting rid of dependence on iPhone or android or anyone else.
    I knew this would happen, or maybe it was just what I really wanted to happen.

Open source, because you know you can't get rid of it, but you want to do good by the community and keep the OS (and patents, most importantly) under HP. But, there will be zero phone production, and tablets quite later on down the road. HP screwed up so bad in the phone business that they can't try it again (carriers don't trust them anymore).

I swear, Meg had basically called me up and asked me what to do.

Enough patting myself on the back, but anyway... I don't see anyone taking webOS and putting it on their phone any time soon. There is basically zero market for it. A company would have to really want to partner with HP and the million or so Touchpads out there to work with that ecosystem. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Anyone picking up Meego? Or Intel's opensource OS? Android is abundant right now. And carriers are having easy times selling Android and iOS to the sheeple.

Maybe if the community can get webOS ported off to any one of the great hardware specced Android phones out there, it has a chance of a company seeing it's potential. I hope so. But, in this best case scenario, it will be a wait and see kind of thing. I highly doubt we see anything any time soon. But I'm really excited to see the potential of the community

Not switching to WP7 now, and I can stay on Sprint. Woo!
    facebook, amazon may want to take webos somewhere. All the major android manufacturers have WP7 flavors which don't sell well now, so it's entirely possible someone will want to use webos?
    BobKy likes this.
    WebOS surely better then meego. Even its market very small, but still webOS have market, and it is small because too many mistakes happened around webOS devices. But once it is open sourced, I bet lots of hardware manufacturer try to use it. Remember when Google released Android at first time using HTC G1? Almost no one interested. It almost have zero market and no environment at all. That time windows phone is everywhere. HTC is biggest windows phone maker and yet they seduced to make G1 for google. And because windows phone too crowd and no more intuitive, phone manufacturer start to use Android, and now we can see how Android boosted to beat iOS. In my perspective, mobile market is moving very fast, it will up side down merely a year. Android market too crowd now. Too many devices, too many vendor and carrier, competition to tight. As manufacturer how we will survives? I will differentiate my products. If I'm LG, my phone always be underdog compared to samsung & motorola. I would very excited if I can make phone base on other promising OS, using webOS. It has many things that competitor don't. So open sourced webOS is the only way to catapult webOS market. Do or die. WebOS only have that choice. And in my prediction, webOS market will start to grow next year, if HP really keep their promises to support webOS (which I still doubt it). But I only can hope for the best.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Imagine if webOS went open source before Microsoft secured it's deal with Nokia. At this point, I'm not sure which companies will actually use webOS for more than parts to add to their Android phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by deduce View Post
    Imagine if webOS went open source before Microsoft secured it's deal with Nokia. At this point, I'm not sure which companies will actually use webOS for more than parts to add to their Android phones.
    I'm not worry much about that. I'm quite sure quite lots of manufacturer want to make webOS devices. They won't buy the OS, but if it is free why not to try? China manufacturer surely will adopt webOS. For Korean manufacturer I bet LG will. Taiwan manufacturer will be HTC. When HTC release G1, no one want it. But after HTC make a roadmap for Android device after that such HTC Aria, HTC Droid, HTC Hero, then people start to like Android. I bet this will happen too to webOS. More over lots of people will love to have another choice beside Android phone.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    And carriers are having easy times selling Android and iOS to the sheeple.
    Anddddd your not a webOS sheep?

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Webos is gonna look great with sense touchwiz and blur on it huh. You all forget IF anyone takes a leap at making a webos phone. Its getting skinned

15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    Webos is gonna look great with sense touchwiz and blur on it huh. You all forget IF anyone takes a leap at making a webos phone. Its getting skinned

Right, if you are OEM X, you want your WebOS to look different to OEM Y's WebOS, so you skin it - also you set up your own poorly populated app store and make it difficult to access the HP app store.
    That would be a sad day. The UI is the best one out there by a mile. A skin would ruin it.
    Anddddd your not a webOS sheep?

I can't speak for FliedLice but I consider sheep to be the people who can't tell you why they choose a particular platform or phone. A girl at work recently purchased an Iphone. I asked her why she bought the IPhone and after a few seconds of staring at it while she fiddled with the phone she shrugged and said "I don't know, my son told me too." Those are sheep.

I'm sure there are a few of WebOS sheep, yet, I'd like to think most WebOS users can tell you very clearly why they like (or dislike for that matter) this platform.

What would I call the recent influx of firesale users? Hmmm, idk yet but not sheep.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    RoverNole likes this.
    How about US? Why just wait & hope? Communities have designed hardware for small production runs in the past, why not us? This community (and it truly is in every sense of the word) is by far the most tenacious & well managed i've ever seen. Seriously, who else has the level of self-governance that we have here? Even with the flood of a million or more devices into the marketplace it didn't devolve into a convoluted mess like pretty much everything else. This community has just the right scale to actually get something accomplished. Why wait? If we really come together this time, a real call to arms, who's to say we can't design & build something for ourselves? There are some real geniuses here, including some that probably know hardware in and out. With the community's support (financially, directionally & "spiritually') something very real could get done. This is an idea that each and everyone here can contribute to in their own way. We all have the same common goal in mind; new (phone) hardware; so why not take it into our own hands?
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    I see several possibilities, not saying all, or any, will actually happen, but you can make a logical case for all of them:

Current android makers add one, or more, webOS phones to their lineup. HTC, Sony, LG and a few others are hurting with all the android phones cannibalizing one another, so it wouldn't be surprising to see one, or more of the manufacturers at the bottom of the pile take a shot on putting webOS on some of their hardware.

RIM adopts webOS, possibly in something of a strategic alliance with HP. RIM is hurting right now. They have some legacy contracts which keeps them afloat, but they have severe bleeding. So, they integrate their proprietary pieces into webOS and adopt that as their OS. Maybe they form a joint venture with HP (letting HP handle the tablets) and offer a full slate of IT products from phones to servers to enterprise.

Similar to the joint venture mentioned with RIM, HP might seek out a phone OEM to build and push phones running webOS to allow them to push a full slate of products for the enterprise sales.

Just some ideas. The ride certainly got more interesting.

Gargoyle
    Awesome idea. A friend of mine also mentioned that RIM should do this cuz lets face it, blackberry's are a thing of the past. Blackberry Pre. That's the new device name. Ok RIM, get going on this. My 2-1/2 year old Pre- is really keeping me out of the technology loop that is passing me by, even though I can't get rid of it!

I'm like Woody Allen who doesn't want to give up his typewriter.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I'm sure chinese android manufacturers gonna jump on this and I can't wait for that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast