1.    #1  
    Is the app catalog dead? Will people buy apps if they can sideload them, which will probably happen quickly when things are open-source?

Android must have this issue already - how do they solve it?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    You've been able to sideload apps for webOS for a long time now. If people are gonna sideload, they will go out of their way and do it, I don't see why turning open-source would change this.
    It's just like paying for music or not right? Ppl that will not pay won't pay regardless... There will be plenty of ppl that will buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    You've already used this model - with Palm OS. There's really no point in HP curating the App Catalog any longer.
    Well, except that they get a cut of the sales from it...
    But any takers will probably try to create their own ecosystem to go with their webos dev... Their own app store... To not be tied down to some ***** company like hp. That being said, if there are multiple companies that run with webos... I imagine webos will be so fragmented that webos in the future will be nothing like it is today. Which IMO is not good and think maybe hp should have just killed it than open source it... Webos is gonna look like Joan rivers after 100 face jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Well, except that they get a cut of the sales from it...
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    But any takers will probably try to create their own ecosystem to go with their webos dev... Their own app store... To not be tied down to some ***** company like hp. That being said, if there are multiple companies that run with webos... I imagine webos will be so fragmented that webos in the future will be nothing like it is today. Which IMO is not good and think maybe hp should have just killed it than open source it... Webos is gonna look like Joan rivers after 100 face jobs.
    Interesting, but how is Google doing it with Android? I've read that Amazon for instance also has an android app market that coexists with Google's. Are there others too?

Also how does Google make up for the slack from apps not sold through their catalog then? I've heard before that they sell ads or something...does this mean ads that are in ad-supported apps?...Someplace else in the OS?