1.    #1  
    I don't know what it takes, so pardon my ignorance, but how hard is it to make an app that lets users view their friends location on Google Latitude?

All I have now running is Latitude Updater on my Pre3, but there is no way short of using logmein on the web browser to view the location of friends.

As we all know, Google Latitude used to work fine until HP forced us all to use Bing Maps. However, other apps that use Google Maps (such as Trapster) still function, so how much harder would it be to make an app that pulls Latitude information as well?

Google Maps has its own mobile maps version that works ok in web browser, but they don't have a mobile version of Latitude, which is disappointing because (once again pardon my ignorance) how much harder would it be to offer a mobile version of Latitude as well?

At any rate, I hope that there is some developer out there that can make a functional version of a Latitude viewer. Id pay $10 for it and I think many other users would too, or at least $5. Thoughts anyone?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    It's not, ok, it's not, it's not and for another $10, I can think some more

Something is in the works probably or most likely. Look for this soon.
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
  3.    #3  
    Still hoping....

Twack I was actually looking at your apps the other night, after getting your fullscreen Pandora/Evernote patches to work. Wanted to send some support, saw MyLo and thought it reminded me of how I used to use Google Latitude with my wife to avoid those "where are you?" conversations when we both had Blackberry phones. I think I will end up buying this, and hope some sort of Google Latitude/Maps app comes our way in the future.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  5.    #5  
    Bump for this now that someone is awesome enough to have a native Google Maps app up and running!

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Looks like its being worked on:

New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    Oh I hope it works on it

8.    #8  
    Bump!

Its not possible right now, period, nope, no, nadda.

Why?

Google does not have an API for this section of Latitude, only an api for sending your location to Google.

They consider giving out peoples locations to third party developers a HUGE security and privacy risk.

think about it, someone could make an app to collect everyones Latitude location in realtime, and sell this information to advertisers, government agencies, etc.

Would you really like your actual location being gathered and processed?

Imagine seeing this email/sms on your phone:

"Dear (user) I hope you enjoy your current location at 123 fake street fakeville! I see there is a subway down the street from you and you went 6 times last week. Why not try this resturaunt next door?"

A little too much information for my tastes.
  10.    #10  
    Personal privacy preferences aside, Latitude has it's uses for me and it'd be nice if I could use it on my phone when I don't have my touchpad with me.

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    ...think about it, someone could make an app to collect everyones Latitude location in realtime, and sell this information to advertisers, government agencies, etc.

Would you really like your actual location being gathered and processed?
    Isnt that what Google and Facebook are already doing? I'd rather take my chances w/ the small dev as opposed to risking the dangers inherent in big corporation/gov't partnerships. Not that I'm cool w/ some foul character using the API in the above ways (which is why I avoid Googles products or services to begin w/). The point is that Google's reason is tantamount to hypocrisy because they are doing far more damage than any developer ever could.