Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I know webosinternals has an emergency survival kit for if/when hp shuts off palm servers effectively rendering our webos devices useless. Without synergy, backups, and the like- webos devices lose a key point to their point of existence.

most average consumers will NOT resort to rod whitby's survival kit.

will phone carriers then be obligated to allow us to change/upgrade our devices, at minimal cost and hassle? I don't recall what tmobile did when the sidekick phone servers were shut down...
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Surely they are smart enough to exclude third party services in their terms and conditions?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    if it's GSM they don't have a choice. You pay for the SIM and can put it in any Palm handset you like.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    if it's GSM they don't have a choice. You pay for the SIM and can put it in any Palm handset you like.
    Then that is between you and HP - maybe US contracts are widely different but in the UK, contracts are specifically wriiten to exclude the handset and services that are not provided by the network.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    I'm a little surprised that this is made out to be a realistic possibility. There is a zero chance this will happen any time soon. There are people still under contract with Veer's, Pre2's and Pixie's. HP would have a class action lawsuit against them the instant they shut those servers down. The media fallout alone would set HP back another 2 or 3 years in public relations. It's no different than saying they will no longer honor the warranty. I realize people love to wax poetic about a doomsday scenario but it just isn't going to happen in the near future.
    pogeypre likes this.
    Only under the following circumstances would this happen -

HP sells webOS

HP rehires Apothekar as the new webOS chief....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Why does everyone keep worrying about things like this? even if HP announces tomorrow that they really are just going to give up on webOS and let it die, they'll keep the servers running for years, as long as there are still webOS devices connecting to them. the effort and expense to keep the servers running is insignificant to HP, compared to the potential legal hassle of breaking otherwise functioning devices. yes, one day, when there are just a few thousand users left, HP will announce the end. those few thousand will be the diehards that will have no problem implementing other measures... the average consumers will all have moved on a very long time ago.
    howemi01, cgk and bldegle2 like this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Why does everyone keep worrying about things like this? even if HP announces tomorrow that they really are just going to give up on webOS and let it die, they'll keep the servers running for years, as long as there are still webOS devices connecting to them. the effort and expense to keep the servers running is insignificant to HP, compared to the potential legal hassle of breaking otherwise functioning devices. yes, one day, when there are just a few thousand users left, HP will announce the end. those few thousand will be the diehards that will have no problem implementing other measures... the average consumers will all have moved on a very long time ago.
    I don't see how anyone is NOT worried about this. The backup servers haven't been working for the past week. I am not saying that Hp will shut off the webos servers tomorrow, but they will at some point stop running them if they discontinue webos. They will provide a fixed date (hard I know, for hp) but let's say they say jan 2013. There are people with pre2 and veers that are still under contract, and then those that don't want to get another phone. Remember there are still centro and treos out there
    what fallout? with the number of pres and pixies and veers out there... insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    I'm a little surprised that this is made out to be a realistic possibility. There is a zero chance this will happen any time soon. There are people still under contract with Veer's, Pre2's and Pixie's. HP would have a class action lawsuit against them the instant they shut those servers down. The media fallout alone would set HP back another 2 or 3 years in public relations. It's no different than saying they will no longer honor the warranty. I realize people love to wax poetic about a doomsday scenario but it just isn't going to happen in the near future.
    even if the HP servers shut down, you can still use your webos phones for calling, texting, and browsing and whatever you do...

the only thing stopping is the back up of your phone into the palm servers and the app store for new purchases.

i really dont see any problem at all, there just wont be new stuff. The fact is, you can still use your phone.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    If they shut down the servers and your phones are useless... get a new phone.

That's your answer so people should quit asking.
    smooth3006 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    what fallout? with the number of pres and pixies and veers out there... insignificant.
    What fallout??? Holy cow man. I don't care if there were a few hundred still on contract. It's borderline illegal. The media would be all over this and blow it up 100x more than it probably *should* be. I find it extremely amusing that some of you think something like this would blow over like as an *awe shucks* decision. As dumb as HP is, they still have a legal department and they would want absolutely no part of this. Remember all it takes is one ****ed off webos user to take them to court. This has million dollar lawsuit written all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I don't see how anyone is NOT worried about this. The backup servers haven't been working for the past week. I am not saying that Hp will shut off the webos servers tomorrow, but they will at some point stop running them if they discontinue webos. They will provide a fixed date (hard I know, for hp) but let's say they say jan 2013. There are people with pre2 and veers that are still under contract, and then those that don't want to get another phone. Remember there are still centro and treos out there
    The backup servers were back online two days ago. Read the developer forums - it wasn't the chicken little event some of you are wanting it to be.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    If they shut down the servers and your phones are useless... get a new phone.

That's your answer so people should quit asking.
    Nice response...your username suits you lol
    ursula likes this.
  15.    #15  
    I guess this thread I going in the wrong direction.

Let me backtrack. Remember the sidekick phone which was based on some cloud backup?

My impression is the palm webos phones are somewhat similar. If I can't backup my phone, and synergy services are shut down such as google and yahoo, I essentially have no way of backing up my data. Would Verizon or AT&T or other carriers then be obligated to provide us with an early upgrade path to another phone?
    i doubt it... i bet there is some fine print saying features can be added/removed when needed when you activated it... just like the ability to sync to itunes... no guarantee it would last forever. as a standalone it will still function as needed.

I guess this thread I going in the wrong direction.

Let me backtrack. Remember the sidekick phone which was based on some cloud backup?

My impression is the palm webos phones are somewhat similar. If I can't backup my phone, and synergy services are shut down such as google and yahoo, I essentially have no way of backing up my data. Would Verizon or AT&T or other carriers then be obligated to provide us with an early upgrade path to another phone?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    My impression is the palm webos phones are somewhat similar. If I can't backup my phone, and synergy services are shut down such as google and yahoo, I essentially have no way of backing up my data.
    Google and Yahoo sync don't require the Palm backup servers. You'll only lose sync with Google if Google goes down. Call me crazy, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Yahoo... ok, maybe Yahoo will go down, they are looking about as healthy as RIM these days.

If you migrate your data out of the Palm servers and into a different service (Google, or an exchange server, or whatever), you really have very little to lose if the Palm servers go away. You basically only would have a problem if you needed to Doctor your device. And WebOS Internals has already said that they have a solution for that.
    you know for life of me i cannot understand why anyone would want to keep a device if hp shut off the servers? go out and buy another phone, it would make no sense to stick to webos. sooner or later you guys are going to have to move on to a different platform because i fully expect hp to shut webos down or sell the patients.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    even if the HP servers shut down, you can still use your webos phones for calling, texting, and browsing and whatever you do...

the only thing stopping is the back up of your phone into the palm servers and the app store for new purchases.

i really dont see any problem at all, there just wont be new stuff. The fact is, you can still use your phone.
    If it's already set up you can use your phone. If it's erased or a new activation you're hosed. There are still carriers who have Pre2 on the shelf. Even if the user backlash is minimal the carrier backlash as Verizon realizes every webOS phone it has can't be sold would nice be pleasant.
    too bad, long ago WebOS/Palm taken by "poor" managed company like HP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast