Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Who can make any sense of this?

Top-3 connected devices in U.S. made by Apple, tablet market continues to balloon in Q3

the Palm Pre leaped from being ranked 28th in Q2 to 7th in Q3 of this year - how?

Also taken in conjunction with the overall platform stats, it means that virtually no Pixies or Veers are being used in the US - that or they have used Palm Pre in the first table to mean *all* webOS phones?
    Quite possible that lumping Pixi, Pre 2, Pre 3 and Veer together. Probably filtered by "webOS" and that's it... but I can't confirm that theory unless I see the whole list.

Don't forget there WAS a firesale on the devices too.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Quite possible that lumping Pixi, Pre 2, Pre 3 and Veer together. Probably filtered by "webOS" and that's it... but I can't confirm that theory unless I see the whole list.

Don't forget there WAS a firesale on the devices too.
    Problem is (once again) we have no idea how many devices we are talking about - realistically, how many Palm Pre 3s are there?

The thing is if the Palm Pre = 0.4% and the overall webOS share is also 0.4% then either the other models are so small to be unmeasurable - or they have used Palm Pre in the first column to lump all models together - in the same way they have for WP7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    ...though I just get an HTC Arrive so my Evo is my new backup...
    If you order a new HTC Arrive, once it comes in...what do you call it?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    If you order a new HTC Arrive, once it comes in...what do you call it?
    Past tense:
    HTC Arrived

Last edited by intellidryad; 12/09/2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Vistaus and xandros9 like this.
    as soon as hp announce they are done with webos i suspect the numbers will drop off quite a bit. from what im hearing there are a ton of great powerhouse phones coming out in 2012, just not webos based ones.
    I still have my Sprint Pre minus. I chickened out once more on getting a new Android phone.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Pass tense:
    HTC Arrived

you meant "Past" tense ?
    I currently have a FrankenPre 2 activated on Sprint. My mom has a Pre-.

I've been loyal to webOS for 2+ years now, but if Sprint gets a powerhouse WP7, I'm out immediately. I absolutely love webOS and the Pre2 form factor, and everything about it... But I want something new. Something that will have updates in the future.

This will all change, of course, depending on HPs upcoming decision. Although, I don't think we're going to hear any positives on the phone front unless it includes the words "open source".
    not advanced calculus... pretty simple math really...

if they could eek a niche without losing any more money on it then they'd probably do it.

like the pc division their keeping now... no brainer since they arent losing wads of $$$ to keep it.

on the other hand... they spent and burned away $3.3 billion on webos.

yeah... they made $200 million on the touchpad firesale... but still all at a loss.

They were bleeding like a stuck pig and can't afford to throw anymore money and something that only sold under firesale conditions.

Especially after their 12 billion dollar acquistion of Autonomy.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The part I will never understand is, with such loyalty to the OS (much like Apple) why would you drop the OS (meaning HP)? Why not eek out a niche for yourself and grow from there? I digress....

I am sure there is some advanced calculus and creative use of the quadratic equation that will get you there........

I would guess there are 300,000 active webOS phone users worldwide..... using no math, just my gut.
    Even if WebOS is open sourced, what devices are you going to put it on? You need a gesture area. HP was able to put WebOS on an iPad but HP also has engineers with 20+ years of experience and masters degrees in computer science. Also, it would be illegal for them to release procedure on how to put WebOS on an iPhone.

Most Android phones have 4 buttons which are all useless to WebOS unless you want to make the home button the gesture button but that makes the device's other software buttons tacky because they have no purpose.

The only ones (I think would look good) would be if you painted black under the plastic that covers the software keys on a new Touch Blackberry Curve and make their trackpad the gesture area.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Even if WebOS is open sourced, what devices are you going to put it on? You need a gesture area. HP was able to put WebOS on an iPad but HP also has engineers with 20+ years of experience and masters degrees in computer science. Also, it would be illegal for them to release procedure on how to put WebOS on an iPhone.

Most Android phones have 4 buttons which are all useless to WebOS unless you want to make the home button the gesture button but that makes the device's other software buttons tacky because they have no purpose.

The only ones (I think would look good) would be if you painted black under the plastic that covers the software keys on a new Touch Blackberry Curve and make their trackpad the gesture area.
    And the Samsung Galaxy Nexus as it has no buttons (thebbuttons are on the screen itself when Android is loaded).
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

yeah... they made $200 million on the touchpad firesale... but still all at a loss.

They were bleeding like a stuck pig and can't afford to throw anymore money and something that only sold under firesale conditions.

Especially after their 12 billion dollar acquistion of Autonomy.
    *sirens*

CK - Anti-FUD Division here...

Gonna have to issue a citation for misrepresentation. FACT is that at $299 & $399 the 16 and 32gb Tpads were the NUMBER 2 and NUMBER 7 BEST SELLING tablets on Amazon besting the even iPad. Only the Transformer sold more. Unfortunately, two Mondays later Leo the-Dolt-aker shot webOS in the back like the weasel he is. And THAT's how you get fired as CEO of the #1 PC maker in the world.

TPad would have continued to dominate with that momentum but as Whitman said "We never gave webOS a chance..."

That is all. Now move along...
    Rockin both my Vzn Pre 2 as a phone, and using my old Pre Plus on wifi only.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    We are... proud! I Have a Pre 3 (and TouchPad), my sister my old Pre+, my other sister a Veer and a church friend another Veer (and he's wanting to buy a Pre3 anytime now); and we are in Honduras! LONG LIVES WEBOS!!!
    lol, i dont know how anything i said was misrepresentation...

at $299 and $399... it's still $200 off original price of $499 and $599 respectively... not the $99 firesale but close enough to a fire sale... it took selling at closer to what people felt was fair value than to try and sell at ipad2 prices.

and if they continued to sell at those prices... not sure if they would have been able to break even because it costs $328 to make a 32gb unit.

with that said... at those prices they could have maintained strong sales for a little longer... to continue over an extended time would depend on if other parts gained traction like app development.

i have mentioned a number of times before during the beginning that i felt they should have been 100 or 2 cheaper than the ipad and take the loss and sell in volume... just like msft did with the xbox... even if it took years.

too bad leo wanted to take hpq to a different direction and spent 12 billion... basically making the idea of losing any more money on webos hard to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    *sirens*

Gonna have to issue a citation for misrepresentation. FACT is that at $299 & $399 the 16 and 32gb Tpads were the NUMBER 2 and NUMBER 7 BEST SELLING tablets on Amazon besting the even iPad. Only the Transformer sold more. Unfortunately, two Mondays later Leo the-Dolt-aker shot webOS in the back like the weasel he is. And THAT's how you get fired as CEO of the #1 PC maker in the world.

TPad would have continued to dominate with that momentum but as Whitman said "We never gave webOS a chance..."

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    *sirens*

Hi,

New here.

I would have to say there is some inaccurate facts in your post.

Amazon does not and has never sold the Apple iPad officially. If you click on the Apple iPads on Amazon you will notice that they are sold by other sellers but, not officially by Amazon. Most of the sellers are not even mainstream sellers.

The overwhelming majority of all Apple iPads were not sold at Amazon or by the Amazon sellers.

Even today on Amazon, it shows the HP TouchPad as the number 5 best selling tablet and the best selling iPad is at number 7. We all know that the iPad is outselling the TouchPad many multiples over. Based upon what you posted, you are saying that the HP TouchPad is outselling the iPad if we are to use the sales rankings that Amazon displays and we know that is false.

The point is that you can't use Amazon as a gauge of what is best selling without looking at many other variables.

To add more color on how useless a retailers sales rankings are. Go to BestBuy and look at the tablets sales rankings. Totally different from what Amazon is showing.
    I don't know how many WebOS phones have been sold, but I hope I am one of the lucky ones that can get 2 TouchPads when they go on sale on eBay.

They will make excellent Christmas gifts for my nephews!
    had an iphone, had an android phone and now have a veer. I love my veer. I have the same emotional attachment to it as I did my iphone, it doesnt everything I need and it's small. If webos had the apps I would be really happy, but it doesnt
    I don't have my Pre 2 on a cellular plan, but still use it as a wifi device
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Sprint launch day Pre here, chugging along!

Many things I don't want to give up:
    - Touchstone
    - Sprint unlimited data for $70/mo without that $10 additional charge
    - Cards, and great notification
    - Hardware keyboard
    - Slide open the slider to answer a phone (much easier then tapping on a box on the screen as I don't need to look on the screen to answer the phone)
    - Just type search for a contact and call right away
    - Auto switch to speaker phone when phone is on the Touchstone

In comparison, making phone calls just seem like an afterthought on other smartphone, where the emphasis is all on Apps.
    My feelings echo these pretty much verbatim. Still rocking a Pre-, and still haven't found anything I like nearly as much. I'm nearing my breaking point, however, because I have small children and need a good camera at a moment's notice to catalog life events and my phone's camera is on the outs. Maybe I'll just carry a dedicated camera???
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast