Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Short story longer: HP would be the ones to be able to easily figure it out.
    After all, all they really need to do it look up how many active webOS accounts have active phones on them.
    I suspect that ultimately this is unknowable, however I've been looking into the palm quarterly results - they are very very vague but there are some clues:

From q1 2010 results (this includes some treo sales):

On a non-GAAP basis, our first quarter of 2010 was no exception. We saw strong sales from the successful launches of the Palm Pre at Sprint early in the quarter and Bell Mobility near quarter end. Non-GAAP adjusted revenues for Q1 totaled $360.7 million, a more than three-fold increase over Q4 of ’09. We shipped a total of 823,000 smartphone units in Q1 versus 351,000 units in Q4. Smartphone sell-through for our August quarter came in at 810,000 units versus 460,000 units in our May quarter.
    From q2 2010 results:

The total Smartphone sales for Q2 was 573,000 units and Web OS products accounted for close to 80% of this number. This compares to total sell through of 810,000 units in Q1. Consistent with our past reporting, sell through represents sales by our carrier partners to their customers which may include indirect sales channels.

Also contributing to higher channel inventories were lower than expected sell through volumes at Sprint. We still have work to do in increasing the awareness of the Palm brand and Web OS products in the market and we’re taking aggressive steps to improve our messaging efforts.
    from q3 2010 results:

In the third quarter, we shipped a total of 960,000 smartphone units compared to 783,000 units in Q2. Third quarter deliveries were virtually all webOS products. Our combined smartphone ASP was $367 in the third quarter compared to $375 in the second quarter. This slightly lower ASP resulted primarily from increased shipments of the lower-priced Pixi.

Total smartphone sell-through for Q3 was 408,000 units compared to 573,000 units in Q2. WebOS products accounted for most of the third quarter volume. We believe that sequential decline was due to declining sales of our legacy products and post-holiday sales deceleration, offset in part by sales at Verizon.

As Jon discussed, sell-through of our products is proceeding at a much slower pace than we and our carrier partners anticipated. While we are continuing to work closely with carriers to improve our performance, to-date we have seen much lower than expected retail sales of both our Pre and Pixi product lines.

As a result, we have seen significant declines in near-term demand for our products as carriers have deferred existing orders or reduced the size of upcoming orders.

So we can have a rough idea of how many devices were in the channel before the buyout but working out total numbers... (I is no good at maths), off the top of my head sell-through is just under two million across all devices (and some of those are treos and centros)????
    There aren't as few as many suspect. I know people at my highschool last year who had Pre 2s and Pixis. Alot of them were girls who just liked the social aspect of them.
    Vistaus likes this.
    I only got mine a few months ago. I"m not planning to change phones for awhile.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    So what exactly is Comscore tracking? Is it extrapolating off of some other data?

As someone said, Palm/HP knows how many active Palm phone profiles are out there. The carriers also know how many WebOS phones are on their networks. The MEIDs and IMEIs for each phone in the world is unique and assigned by manufacturer. Carrier just needs to count them up (and they probably do).
    I've never met another person with a Palm phone or a TouchPad, until this past Sat, when a long time friend of ours told me that she went and got a TouchPad for all of her family members for Xmas, after playing with mine.

I was pointing out on another thread here, how I thought that Palm had just folded back in the early 2000's, until the boxer-ads for teh TouchPad and veer started showing up en masse right before the axe fell.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I have a Pre 2 (used as an iPod touch)
    I hope to hold into it for a while
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    i have 6 various webOS devices !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Vistaus likes this.
    Me Pre 3.
    I love it! Pre 3 is the best phone I've ever had! And I did have some high-end smartphones before, but FOR ME it's the best I've ever had. The reception could be a bit better as I'm having not that much bars at certain places where other phones have better reception, but that's about the only quirk I have.

I didn't have a webOS-phone before. Did look out to the original Pre a few years ago though. I did have a TP though (I'm even typing this on my TP )
    gderoiste likes this.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Neilson reported in Engadet( Nielsen's Q3 numbers are out: Android's still atop the OS chain, Apple remains number one manufacturer -- Engadget )just a few days ago that HP webOS had 2.2% of the Smart phone market. Another tracking firm ComScore (ComScore: Android continues to boom, RIM and Microsoft decline - Engadget ) said there were 90 million smartphone users in the US.
    That would figure out to about 2 million. Roughly.

Of course, that 90 Million is only the US, if the 2.2 % is of the world wide market then the Number of users would be considerably larger.
    Last edited by dmklein; 12/05/2011 at 06:58 PM.
    I got a pre3, pre2 and a pre, only the pre3 is being actively used
    had my Treo for years
    got a Sprint Pre shortly after it became available
    replaced my Pre with an ATT Veer when my contract with Sprint ended
    love it
    best cell phone that I have used
    Still Alive and well on webOS (VZW Pre2) after a pixi and pre plus.. Won't be switching until it's dead! I have to admit though.. IOS already has my signature if webOS ever dies
    I have a Pre 3 and i'm loving it. It does so many things better than so many phones. I could never leave Touchstone, great notifications, cards, and the portrait slider keyboard.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmklein View Post
    Neilson reported in Engadet( Nielsen's Q3 numbers are out: Android's still atop the OS chain, Apple remains number one manufacturer -- Engadget )just a few days ago that HP webOS had 2.2% of the Smart phone market. Another tracking firm ComScore (ComScore: Android continues to boom, RIM and Microsoft decline - Engadget ) said there were 90 million smartphone users in the US.
    That would figure out to about 2 million. Roughly.

Of course, that 90 Million is only the US, if the 2.2 % is of the world wide market then the Number of users would be considerably larger.
    It can't be 2.2% of the world market simply because we know how many phones Palm shipped before the takeover - unless HP sold four or five million off-contract Pre 2 and Pre 3 phones in ten months (and if they did we'd a) hear about it and b) they'd still be knocking out the Pre3).
    2.2% is not that bad. If Ubuntu can survjve with nearly 1% and even less money backing it, then webOS can too.
    I have my Pre3 and Im perfrectly happy with it. Actually Im in point where for my use case (some calls, IM, email, music, podcasts, calendar, bit of browsing, tethering and maps/navigation/gps logging) it's almost too powerful. I can imagine using Veer if it would have standard connectors. But I never had Veer in my hands and I hope it is as fast as Pre3, definitely faster than Pre2.
    Anyway - I don't know why Leo gave up on Pre3 because in my opinion that phone is absolutely fine! Probably not competition to top tier Android's but its much better than blackberry and WP7 (not sure about 7.5). And it has freakin' physical portrait qwerty!
    But right now, after couple months of no development I can't imagine webOS could compete with upcoming versions of other OS'. So I am basically just waiting for Android or next gen BB with portrait qwerty.
    Back to original question - I know there are few webOS fans in Czech Republic Haven't seen any here in Norway.
    I still have launch day Pre-, although I had to replace it twice in the past 2-1/2 years due to dropping, cracked screen issues and whatnot.

I just don't know where else to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the Touchstone and all the patches. I just hate that I'm losing touch with the outside world and the new updated phones and HDMI and new crazy apps .
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    orig. pixi user and have my pre2 on sprint which is chuggin along fine. If webos dosent rear is head in a year or so sad to say im probably leaving.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Who can make any sense of this?

Top-3 connected devices in U.S. made by Apple, tablet market continues to balloon in Q3

the Palm Pre leaped from being ranked 28th in Q2 to 7th in Q3 of this year - how?

Also taken in conjunction with the overall platform stats, it means that virtually no Pixies or Veers are being used in the US - that or they have used Palm Pre in the first table to mean *all* webOS phones?
    I am leaning toward (all) WebOS phones

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast