Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1.    #1  
    In an internal meeting at HP, Meg Whitman talked about the future of webOS. A source present at the meeting provided us with a transcript of Meg Whitman's talk:

Meg: « This is a tough, tough decision for HP. webOS is a terrific operating system. It is a shame what happened with the tablets and webOS, because (big round of applause from 1000 HP employees in the room, stopping Meg), for version 1.0 of those tablet and software, it was good. And we didn't even get a chance to get to version 2.0 and version 3.0. At the same time, supporting a new operating system is really very expensive. So, we are working on some innovative solutions that I think are gonna be quite positive. But stay tuned another 10 days »

This comes from webOS France. It's not clear if this meeting took place today or in the past few days, but it looks like the two weeks are drawing closer and closer for Meg Whitman with regards to webOS. Looks like someone gave her a Touchpad and a Pre3, told her to play around with it for a month, and she might seriously be having second thoughts about dumping such a terrific operating system. We'll see in 10 days (or less).

Whitman : "Nous n'avons pas donné sa chance ŕ webOS"
    Thanks for finding this

Sounds like the HP employees all know how good webOS is and it's great to hear that their applause made her stop for a moment. Hopefully the next we hear from her will be good news! <fingers crossed>
    Vistaus likes this.
    At least it shows that Meg knows the potential of webOS.

She is a conservative though, I don't think she likes spending money, no matter how good this "thing" is.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

She is a conservative though, I don't think she likes spending money, no matter how good this "thing" is.
    Someone should tell her that if she makes webOS a hit, she can buy even bigger pearl earrings, that should appeal to her. LOL
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Devil is in the details.

Hopefully Jon is around and "innovative" is not another word for...I don't know...say, slapping it onto printers...or on top of windows.
    Problem with Jon is that he may be innovative with software, he has sucked at hardware and is way to conservative and allows shoddy mistakes. Hopefully, if they give it another try they will get someone with forethought and cool ideas for making the hardware solid and impressive. Unfortunately, it's wait and see for the next couple of weeks to even know the direction.
  7.    #7  
    There's a difference between "spending" money and "wasting" money. Which one of these was her purchase of Skype as CEO of eBay, though, is up to interpretation (with most people leaning on "wasting").
    Trlsmn likes this.
    Yes, if she can get a good plan here--she shows she is not crash and burn (neoapotheker) and not Hurd (who was only save)--she can earn some good will with employees by getting the R&D people to feel their projects won't be stopped willy nilly if they work for HP (the thing whats his name who just "retired" was cautioning about). Also she earns some good will from consumer customers and potential customers--some of the tech bloggers who like webOS...lets see what she comes up with
    If Meg really said that about WebOS, "we didn't give WebOS a chance" that is great. Same thing I have saying for awhile now. These haters on the board that claim WebOS was a failure because it didn't sell should take note. I like to compare the life of the Touchpad to a guy going fishing. If after 10 minutes he pulls up his rods and goes home, claiming the fish just weren't biting, isn't a very good fisherman. Again, if Meg really said that then she realizes Leo sucked at fishing. Hopefully, she'll throw the rods back in the water and see what bites. Meg, change bait and your location on the lake a few times before calling it quits.

ET

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

I actually think that *because* she is a conservative, she'll act on webOS aggressively to make it profitable, if she really does understand its potential.
    Vistaus and fxspec06 like this.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    If the backlash from Carrier IQ on Android continues, now would be the time to resurrect WebOs. The environment is certainly ripe for it.
    fxspec06 and xandros9 like this.
    "We didn't give webOS a chance" sounds like an obituary tho, something past tense and put behind them.
    There are many, many, many legitimate gripes that people have about webOS. Fact of the matter is, a stock webOS device is missing so much stuff, it's just practically unthinkable, how far behind the Palm division is.

But, it's got this fantastic interface, and with the right things opened up to developers in a proper and consistent manner, with documentation, and some modern hardware priced accurately, would absolutely make this a force to be reckoned with. As well as licensing our app framework(s) to other platforms for some extra income and exposure.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    davidtm likes this.
    What are some things that needs to happen if Meg were to put the webOS back into full force? I would like to know what would happen.

How many software developers would she need to hire? Where would she get them? How do they make new hardware? How long does it take to get new products on the shelves? What kind of features does webOS need to stay competitive? How will these features be integrated into the OS? What about webOS needs to change? What needs to be thrown out? What can be improved?

A lot of these may seem like easy answers, but they aren't.. and this is just barely touching base.

It all comes down to this: Is the risk greater than the reward? If the answer is 'yes,' then we won't see any more webOS.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    From what county did the whole 'Number one plus' originate? Was it France or England?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Can we celebrate now!? She said they are working on innovative solutions to change webOS situation now, which means HP will keep webOS. Or why else would they work on innovative solution to make things positive if they were to sell it to others? Yes I'm right!!

I figured innovative was code for cheap so being careful with my expectations, am I too cynical?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    Can we celebrate now!? She said they are working on innovative solutions to change webOS situation now, which means HP will keep webOS. Or why else would they work on innovative solution to make things positive if they were to sell it to others? Yes I'm right!!

Meg Whitman speaks for HP, not for Precentral or its members. When she says she's working on a solution to make things 'positive,' she means 'positive for HP.' It could or could not mean positive for you, and it could also mean literally anything from dropping it to selling it to keeping it to stripping it.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Meg Whitman speaks for HP, not for Precentral or its members. When she says she's working on a solution to make things 'positive,' she means 'positive for HP.' It could or could not mean positive for you, and it could also mean literally anything from dropping it to selling it to keeping it to stripping it.
    According to OP's transcript, "work on innovative solutions that gonna be quite positive" is clearly under the topic of webOS.

That "innovative solution" might be passing it off to someone else to deal with. That might be "LET'S RUN IT ON PRINTERS!!!!!!!!!!11!"
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast