Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I will take Meg words:

1.-This is a tough, tough decision for HP.
    HP is not going arrogant to continue with webOS

2.- At the same time, supporting a new operating system is really very expensive.

3.- So, we are working on some innovative solutions that I think are gonna be quite positive.

HP knows the only way to low costs is to share the risk, investement, marketing and expenses with others making an Alliance Joint Venture company even with those who denied going with webOS before, but make stunning hardwares.

Sample: HP and Alcatel-Lucent Bring Together the Power of Data Center Technology and Communications Networks

4.- "We have not given a chance to webOS."
    And we didn't even get a chance to get to version 2.0 and version 3.0.

The decision in some way is already made, HP is just making the things legal on paper for to accomplish the alliance and will announce it in 10 days.

So stay tuned with this announcement and new webOS products (CES 2012)

And yes the third alternative I mentioned might not work at all if HP goes alone.

Related before forum post:http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...ml#post3251443
    yes, this seems right to me also based on her recent talk in France. They will need to partner with a better content ecosystem too. It sound like, I hooe, that they see this as first gen software but it now has enlarged its fanbase and they can build on this--iron out bugs, more apps etc
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I think the content side is the real problem, forget amazon and iTunes - the first test would be to build something as big as the wp7 ecosystem, the OS that is currently struggling to make a mark.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    partner directly with music labels etc. They want to work with hp, its not in their interest to have itunes as the only game in town, even itunes and amazon.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    The music/video partner bits are easy, they will license their product to whoever will pay but you still have create, manage and curate the infrastructure to sell it. Also now the bar has lifted and it looks like the ability for users to upload or stream their own content is needed.

It is clear that the mass of consumers basically wants acme solutions - so you also need file storage (25gb on SkyDrive, 30gb on google for $5) and sync to desktop, your own email solution, some sort of native document editing solution etc etc, intergration into something likexbox live.

If HP is willing to spend the billions needed, they are them ready to scrap it out with Microsoft and RIM for either three, fourth or fifth place. ;-)

SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Market research? who needs market research, there are market results.

There is an element of revisionist history creeping into this forum, a pretence that WebOS only came to my arket when HP purchased it, it was announced in January 2009 and the first phone was out in July 2009, The first android handset was out in sept 2008. They are of the same cohort, rather than coming late to the party in the way that WP7 has.

WebOS phones were discontinued after three years where they failed to sell and carriers refused to take them, the current market share of webOS phone users is 0%, it does not exist. The current install base is more than likely in the tens of thousands and failing.

WebOS tablets were discontinued after they failed to sell and had to be fire-saled. As for being number 2, that was to october and has passed by the amazon fire with ease (unless amazon and all the analysts are lying).

The truth? Most people around here can't seem to handle the truth.

Its sad. Iwanted webOS to carve out its own little niche, but appears to have only succeeded in digging it's own grave.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Which is a shame because I think that as an OS for mass market consumers with the right support and further development at the right time it could have been a contenter.

Which is a shame because I think that as an OS for mass market consumers with the right support and further development at the right time it could have been a contenter.

Yes we know You think its over. Apparently the noises Whitman is making suggests she think it is not over. But we shall have to wait and see what her "innovative" decisions are.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I think it's over whatever she decides, even if she chucks another couple of billion at it - by the time they got something to market, you'd be looking at late 2012/early 2013. By then, it would struggle to catch up with also rans like WP7.

I think it's over whatever she decides, even if she chucks another couple of billion at it - by the time they got something to market, you'd be looking at late 2012/early 2013. By then, it would struggle to catch up with also rans like WP7.

Yes, we know you think this way--you've made it very clear in numerous posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    The bait is great. The problem is, they didn't give it enough line to even hit the water.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Agree, and let it swim

IMO the late date to come with something new, shoud be MWC in Feb 2012
    IMO the late date to come with something new, shoud be MWC in Feb 2012
    I highly doubt that's going to happen. At best, they can get an HTC prototype and put the HP label on it, and that will take at least 6 months.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Yes, we know you think this way--you've made it very clear in numerous posts.
    How many unrealized promises of "number one plus" do we need before it becomes apparent that webOS is just too flawed and too far behind to even have a chance? How many times does webOS have to fail before we realize that CGK is right?

webOS was probably better than Android and iOS in 2009, but every subsequent release of Google and Apple's OS' have left webOS further and further behind in the rear view. True multitasking, cards, and Synergy is great but they're just not features most users care about.
    dignitary and SnotBoogie like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    How many unrealized promises of "number one plus" do we need before it becomes apparent that webOS is just too flawed and too far behind to even have a chance? How many times does webOS have to fail before we realize that CGK is right?

webOS was probably better than Android and iOS in 2009, but every subsequent release of Google and Apple's OS' have left webOS further and further behind in the rear view. True multitasking, cards, and Synergy is great but they're just not features most users care about.
    583? 1052? How about 1 chance with competitive hardware, v 2 and v3 which whitman alluded to, content partnerships, some of the big apps, good execution and marketing
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    583? 1052? How about 1 chance with competitive hardware, v 2 and v3 which whitman alluded to, content partnerships, some of the big apps, good execution and marketing
    But a product that hits all those checkboxes already exists -- the iPad.

Then you have other Android-based products that either check off most of those features or specialize in a few of them while eschewing the rest (like the Kindle Fire) all coming in at a variety of pricepoints.

So who would buy this mythical webOS product that's maybe just as good as an Android tablet and almost as good as an iPad?
    dignitary likes this.

Then you have other Android-based

products that either check off most of those features or specialize in a few of them while eschewing the rest (like the Kindle Fire) all coming in at a variety of pricepoints.

So who would buy this mythical webOS
    product that's maybe just as good as an Android tablet and almost as good as an iPad?
    obviously this mythical webOS still has you mesmerized as you are still perusing Precentral...a website for fans of webos.

for cgk, nappy, and all the other naysayers. You "won", enjoy your new devices and leave the webos faithful alone. We may be in denial, but there's a reason for that...and that's because webOS is just damn awesome, and for those still using it, its not because of ignorance but because webOS just works for us.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Who's in for Stifling Competition!!!

Trying to say webos is "nearly" there is wrong.. Webos IS there.. Anyone who has picked it up , especially given the firesale, ultimately come back to one conclusion.. I would continue using it if not for the lack of apps.

Which is an easier fix than any other.

You wanna know why its an expensive venture? Because YES HP NEEDS TO THROW MONEY AT EVERY MAJOR DEV!!
    If not than its not gonna matter how many "attempts" webos is given..

If you think that webos isn't "there" yet than you are one of the few..

And no.. I'm not knocking the iPad or android, but each has unique features.

Many said who the heck wants a keyboard I can change I'm perfectly happy w the one apple has given me.. Yet time and time again ppl praise the keyboard they have .. So what's to say that synergy TTS or cards isn't the same.

Please I don't claim to speak for the masses and neither should you

-- Sent from my Palm Touchpad using Communities
    fxspec06 likes this.

Then you have other Android-based products that either check off most of those features or specialize in a few of them while eschewing the rest (like the Kindle Fire) all coming in at a variety of pricepoints.

So who would buy this mythical webOS product that's maybe just as good as an Android tablet and almost as good as an iPad?
    anyone who does not like spyware on their devices and still wants multitasking and doesn't want to be locked into expensive apple ecosystem
    obviously this mythical webOS still has you mesmerized as you are still perusing Precentral...a website for fans of webos.

for cgk, nappy, and all the other naysayers. You "won", enjoy your new devices and leave the webos faithful alone. We may be in denial, but there's a reason for that...and that's because webOS is just damn awesome, and for those still using it, its not because of ignorance but because webOS just works for us.
    I don't think cgk fits in the same category as Nappy or Sinsin07.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Who's in for Stifling Competition!!!

Trying to say webos is "nearly" there is wrong.. Webos IS there.. Anyone who has picked it up , especially given the firesale, ultimately come back to one conclusion.. I would continue using it if not for the lack of apps.

Which is an easier fix than any other.

You wanna know why its an expensive venture? Because YES HP NEEDS TO THROW MONEY AT EVERY MAJOR DEV!!

If not than its not gonna matter how many "attempts" webos is given..

If you think that webos isn't "there" yet than you are one of the few..

And no.. I'm not knocking the iPad or android, but each has unique features.

Many said who the heck wants a keyboard I can change I'm perfectly happy w the one apple has given me.. Yet time and time again ppl praise the keyboard they have .. So what's to say that synergy TTS or cards isn't the same.

Please I don't claim to speak for the masses and neither should you

-- Sent from my Palm Touchpad using Communities
    i think you nailed it
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast