Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  1.    #1  
    To past and present users, WebOS is elegant in that it is based upon one simple idea, gestures. The card GUI is so intensely simple that children can figure it out. But to somebody who has never seen a WebOS device, it seems so foreign to them. Regardless of what their used to, Android and iOS seem to be very easy to "understand". WP7 falls in the same boat as WebOS. I remember in May (my senior year) I would gladly let people play with my Pre 2. They held the black screen in their hand, and that's about as far as it went. Even when I unlocked it for them, they had no idea where to go from there. They could open the launcher easily, being that it's an arrow, but when they tapped an icon and a card flew up onto the screen they would do a double take and gasp in confusion. They literally had NO idea what to do. I had to explain gestures and how to use the operating system. It's cool when you explain it, but do you think it turns off to-be customers when they can't figure it out on their own?

Opinions? Thoughts?
    No, I don't. I think the average consumer is able to understand webOS much more quickly than Android, for example. I mean, hand them any phone for the first time (that's not an iPhone) and most of them won't know what to do. I think that after a quick explanation the average consumer can get a grasp of something that's gesture based much more easily then something with three or four soft buttons.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by pecuevasb; 11/30/2011 at 06:26 PM.
    It's not a matter of what they understand. It's a matter of what they expect. Apple and Android UI behavior is what they expect. Gestures and cards are foreign. With that in mind, I think the avg user can get put off by not being able to accept webOS behavior within the first few min and that's one lost customer. Not that any of that matters now.
    Yep, I think you are correct, but it has **NOTHING** to do with webOS. It has to do with how much time you are willing to invest. Before I got my Pre- I spent a lot of time here and watching youtube videos so when I picked up a Pre- myself, I was able to use it quite well. The "average" consumer would not know how to interact with it.

The reason why I say it has nothing to do with webOS is look around this site and see all the people who bash Android/iOS/WP7 for how "unintuitive" they are. Come to find out people have only picked the phones up at their local carrier store or Best Buy and played with them for 10 minutes. Non-webOS people would say the exact same thing about picking up a webOS device for the first time and only playing with it for a little time.

If you can get over your inhibitions about a new platform and find out how to make it work for you instead of just trying to focus on how much it is unlike your current device most people (and yes, average consumers) will be able to make their new device perform to meet their needs.
    dignitary likes this.
    I think every OS is hard to use if your not willing to put time into it and learn about it.
    my wife, who is a very average consumer (one that needed her smartphone to take pictures and upload to facebarf, because she could not figure out how to do it with point-and-shoot camera after i showed her 15 times) took to the pre in a matter of days and kept her phone for 2 years. The gestures were uniform across nearly all apps. Everything mojo was common and standard to her. similar to how iph0ne actions/gestures is uniform across nearly all apps. that's why when it was time to move on, she got the ip0ne.

i went android because i like customizing and the fast pace of innovation. she would be totally lost and confused with an android device. it is so scatterbrained sometimes. mainly the back key does different things within apps and between apps.
    My gf, who is a total nerd, but can't figure out the slightest thing about software unless it's labelled with a giant button that specifically says the action she is looking for (basically, she doesn't read what's on screen), absolutely loves it. Once I showed her the up-swipe, the TouchPad didn't leave her side for 3 weeks. And now that she has ComicShelf HD, it hasn't left her side in a week.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    But to somebody who has never seen a WebOS device, it seems so foreign to them.

Opinions? Thoughts?
    I think for the most part this is 100% correct. That said i think all operating systems have a learning curve. I found webos a bit confusing when i first started using it. I surely didn't just pick it up and instantly start navigating around well. This was my first smartphone and the closest thing i had was a click wheel ipod and a dumbphone that could play mp3s and access the internet a bit.

But here are some things i remember from testing the phone at launch day. Coming from an ipod clickwheel, well, the button on top is a hold button that basically kills the screen so you don't accidentally make a call or change your music track by brushing up against it. So i struggled with the fact that the top button on my pre minus doesn't kill the screen. It's actually a ringer switch and an on off button. I kept accidentally turning off my phone. Or i'd stick it in my pocket thinking i was hitting the hold button when i was really just putting it on vibrate and it would like dial random people or shut off my playing music when it hit my leg. Honestly, since i still use my old ipod daily it's still an annoyance i've never gotten over.

A big issue I had on first trying the Pre was merely navigating because every touchscreen phone i'd used and every ipod touch had a dedicated back button (though on my clickwheel ipod back is actually the top "menu" button but it's a button). The browser on my computer has a back button. The every app pretty much on my computer has a back button. So i kept looking for a back button on every WebOS screen to no avail. And unless someone tells you what a back gesture is and how to do it it's not obvious to do it from looking the phone. Like to the person using webos in a store with little knowledge once you get into, say the photos roll in the photo app, you're stuck because you don't know the gesture on how to go back and there's nothing telling you how to do it. And once i learned to close programs i found myself always unable to go back so i'd close the program and start over every time until i figured it out.

I didn't fully understand how to close stuff. I learned it was swipe up but on my first use it didn't occur that i had to hit hit the "glowing" button to minimize then swipe up. I'd be in the app and swipe up and nothing would happen. That was frustrating. Even more confusing was if the app is maximized and you swipe up starting just from the screen nothing happens. But if the app is maximized and you do the same up swipe gesture starting from the plastic gesture area it minimizes. To the novice it's all up swipes but you're getting different results even though you feel like you're doing the exact same thing. And worse you're still swiping up trying to actually close the program and it's not, it's just minimizing or doing nothing. Confusing to the first time users.

And as for the "glowing" button. I expected that to be a home button so i kept hitting it trying to get taken back to the first screen you see with everything minimize. Because that's what it is on an ipod touch. finally figured that that's not a home button but a minimize button.

Back to swiping and gestures another thing is of you just don't know the gestures you're kinda in the dark. And you know how even when minimized you can swipe up and the card will spring back and not close? Well when that happens when you first use a the phone you're second thought is i must be doing it wrong so i'll swipe some other direction to try and close it which just adds to confusion.

Another thing confusing thing was even after you figure out there is a back gesture it doesn't always work. For example if you go into calender it opens in daily view. When I then click on weekly or monthly view and it switches. Now it feels like a new page to me so i expect back gesture to take me back to the original page. But back gesture doesn't take you back to the prior view. But the whole screen changed so it feel like a different page. Like back should take you to the daily view but it doesn't. Back gesture minimizes the program. I guess it doesn't think it's a new page but i found that really confusing.

Then there are just organizational things. some things may just be in different places. Like in one O.S. you may just be able to add an image as a contact pictures in others maybe you can't or it's not a one or two click thing.

Regardless i spent almost an hour on launch day playing with a Pre and i very much remember early frustration with navigating around the phone and i had second thoughts about the phone for that and other reasons. I went back several times to use it before i finally settled on it. But it was far from instant bliss. It became easy with use. It was not instant.

Oh, the copy and paste functions i thought were really confusing at first as well and especially highlighting text. I totally had to read directions a couple of times.

I think there is a learning curve with all OS's especially when it's new. And what is an is not intuitive will vary according to the user. I didn't like Android and found it confusing but i used it for a month and figured it out and no i think it's fine. But just like i got confused with the pre glowing button at first, on android i'm still don't always all the physical buttons at the bottom. Partly because some of the symbols make no sense to me. Just write home so i know. A triangle house thingy made no sense to me at first. I still get lost in Windows phone 7 but give me enought time and it would be natural. IOS i find straight forward. I think that's part of it and apple's success. It's like webos with the launcher bar is always in the up position and no swiping. But that strikes me as very Steve Jobsy. I could imagine him going to Ruby and saying "why would you make users make an extra finger press to launch the launcher? There's nothing underneath. Just have the launcher up all the time."

I think everyone has issues learning a new system at first no matter what OS it it. If a person is open to learning and gives it some time they'll learn. If they don't want to they won't. But Palm built as an integral part to their OS things like gestures and the whole way webos works. It's part of the system. And they did so knowing full well that that means consumers will have to accept something that is new and foriegn. I don't think it's fatal, but i also spent probably two hours total using the phone well before buying and read up a lot on it. I don't think most phone buyers can be expected to spend an hour with one phone in a store learning to use it.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 12/01/2011 at 05:38 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    My boy at 2 years old already can play my pre+, playing Angry Birds, swipe the card to close, open new card, swipe left and right. Press gesture area to minimize. Believe or not, I even not show him how webOS works, he manage to play it by himself, when I put my Pre+ on the table and he grab it without my notice.

So WebOS surely easy to learn. Even 2 years old boy can play it. Same with iOS. But when my boy (now 4 years old) play Galaxy Tab 10.1 at samsung shop, he confused, too many widgets, he can't navigate the app as easy as WebOS & iOS. I need to show him how to find the launcher, then select any games in it. Well I talk this in context of default screen, not customized.
    Last edited by The Bard; 12/01/2011 at 07:47 AM.