1.    #1  
    AllthingsD are reporting a translation from an interview that Le Figaro conducted with Meg Whitman, where she mentions that she will make a decision within a fortnight.

Here's the (translated) pull out quote...

What will you do with your operating system WebOS?
    We should announce our decision in the next two weeks. This is not an easy decision, because we have a team of 600 people which is in limbo. We need to have another operating system.
    But for me, this quote (although poorly translated) is more telling...

We will return on the market shelves. The Slate 2 sign our return. We stopped using the products that our operating system WebOS. We will return in 2012. We will have an Internet Tablet that will use Windows 8 Microsoft.
    Here are the articles:
    Original article (translated): Google Translate

AllthingsD article:Whitman: WebOS Decision Coming at HP Within Two Weeks - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD
    Thanks, we started discussing it in this thread below but yours has the more accurate title. I agree with you that if the decision has been delayed two weeks, it is not a good one (good news would come early, bad news delayed until they find a way to break it).

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...d-2-years.html
  3.    #3  
    Thanks bluenote, sorry I didn't see your thread...

The Win8 quote is making things quite clear now I think, I can't see Whitman giving webOS another shot in the marketplace. However, the Slate 2 is squarely aimed at business and business people - especially when you read it's description on the hp site - so there may be room for something more consumer focused.
    Personaly, I'd like to see Amazon make a legitimate effort to aquire WebOs if HP does sell it off.. I have my fears that Microsoft will buy up webos and kill it off quietly before WIndows8 makes it's tablet debut.
    Not sure what I was really hoping for with her announcement that they would announce something about WebOS by "early December". I suppose I was at least hoping she would differentiate herself from the previous regime by meeting the timeline in a reasonable manner. Wrong! "Early December" has now become "within 2 weeks" which puts it at mid-December. As we've learned, there is NO way on earth HP would come in on the front end of a time estimate. If they say "summer" they mean "the absolute last calendar day of summer" (only if it's not delayed). Oh well. The more things change, the more they stay the same.