Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    HP will also make a decision about its current operating system WebOS in the next two years. Whitman said that the decision "won't be easy" as WebOS employs 600 people.

Source Newspaper Le Figaro
    That has to be a misquote or misprint. 2 months - maybe - 2 years? The stockholders, board of directors, and customers will boot her **** out as fast as Leo if that's the case.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eyec View Post
    HP will also make a decision about its current operating system WebOS in the next two years. Whitman said that the decision "won't be easy" as WebOS employs 600 people.

Source Newspaper Le Figaro
    That has to be days or weeks, months at the outset - two years simply means it is dead - you cannot hold an OS in limbo for that period of time.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I've just checked - it's two weeks - in the same interview, she says HP will return to the tablet market in 2012 with Windows 8.

What's interesting is that she says that they will make the decision but they need another operating system - is she about to do the unthinkable and keep these people on to... make an android tablet?

Le Figaro - Sociétés : Whitman reconnait qu'Apple pourrait dépasser HP en 2012
    could someone pls copy the relevant part here in english?

if she is delaying two weeks that does not sound good for webOS, if it was good news she would say this week, assuming the research was looked at last week
    original french text: "Nous devrions annoncer notre décision dans les deux prochaines semaines. Ce n'est pas une décision facile, car nous avons une équipe de 600 personnes qui est dans le flou. Nous avons besoin d'avoir un autre système d'exploitation."

un autre systeme d'exploitation -> word by word translation is "operating system" ... but i think she means "business model"

Thoughts?
    here is how google translates it but I think biz model is probably more accurate translation than operating system but who knows? One thing I see is that she sees tablets for consumption and not pc replacements for lightweight tasks (like I am using touchpad nicely for today). If just consumption, multi tasking is not important to her and I would assume she decided against webOS as it does not have a media ecosystem ala amazon and she now has 600 employees to find jobs for. Well this mezns I go to IOS in a few years, HP and windows not my bag and android is spyware (that goes for you also kindle fire). My heart is slowly breaking. Thank goodness for webos internals.

"Why start the Slate 2, your second tablet, sold off after the TouchPad? We will return on the market shelves. The Slate 2 sign our return. We stopped using the products that our operating system WebOS. We will return in 2012. We will have an Internet Tablet that will use Windows 8 Microsoft. A tablet is it comparable to a PC? Not at this time. Internet tablets are mainly used to consume media and e-mails. If you want to use productivity software such as Microsoft, you can not do. Our studies show that this is an additional purchase that does not encroach on the PC market. This is an important area on which we want to go. What will you do in your operating system WebOS? We should announce our decision in the next two weeks. This is not an easy decision, because we have a team of 600 people which is in limbo. We need to have another operating system'
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    No it is not business model, that would be 'modele economique' (I am on my phone so can't do the accents before the French speakers start ranging on me :-))

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    ... - is she about to do the unthinkable and keep these people on to... make an android tablet
    Sorry, I can't imagine that. It is, for me, literrally unthinkable.
    well Icecream sandwich is close to webOS, so maybe all be good. (sarcasm alert)
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    "our studies show that this is an additional purchase that does not encroach on the PC market"

So this was the result of her research? I think the market will change anyway and her research will become out of date.
    Another operating system refers to windows, I don't see HP supporting android when windows is their golden calf.
    No it is not business model, that would be 'modele economique' (I am on my phone so can't do the accents before the French speakers start ranging on me :-))

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

To me, that means Bussiness Model (But french speakers could help with this)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

"Another operating Systems"? WP? Blargh! IPaqs again...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    To me, that means Bussiness Model (But french speakers could help with this)

Unless it's a misquote, she does say système d'exploitation which has a very specific meaning as operating system and is not something that can confused as 'business model' which they could have used système d'exploitation or em... Le Business model.
    If you're right, there is no reason to delay decission, because it's clearly made.

Both statements doesn't blend.

Well it looks like it's going to be over soon. With them pushing Windows 8 so much, I don't think webOS stands a chance now. Too bad. I'd much rather have webOS than Windows 8. Windows on tablets rates below iOS for me (webOS, QNX, Android, iOS, then Windows). I wish HP luck, but this will be the last HP tablet I buy. Looks like the Transformer will eventually replace the TouchPad for me (in about a year). Thank God I only spent $150 on it with the way HP has behaved in the past few months.

I will be reinstalling CM7 this weekend, unless I get off work early sometime this week. Tomorrow is pay day and I owe a donation to the CM team anyway. I will be asking for help with setting up the environment to look like and behave as close to webOS as I can possibly get it. I will definitely need help with ADW Launcher EX. It has been an enjoyable experience (not counting the last 4 months) and this is looking to be a sad ending to a good OS.
    Reading the entire interview, I think K4ever is right, and she is talking they're going to use exclusively Windows for their tablets, and they don't know what to do with webOS people (not with webOS)

18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    If you're right, there is no reason to delay decission, because it's clearly made.

Both statements doesn't blend.

It's a very vague statement anyway that could be taken in a number of different ways - I take it to mean that she thinks that HP needs something else besides Windows but she's not sure if it's WebOS - or she means that they need another operating system besides Windows and it's *not* going to be WebOS.

The only thing I think we can take for certain is that it's all going to be decided by next Friday or somewhere around then...
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Well it looks like it's going to be over soon. With them pushing Windows 8 so much, I don't think webOS stands a chance now. Too bad. I'd much rather have webOS than Windows 8. Windows on tablets rates below iOS for me (webOS, QNX, Android, iOS, then Windows). I wish HP luck, but this will be the last HP tablet I buy. Looks like the Transformer will eventually replace the TouchPad for me (in about a year). Thank God I only spent $150 on it with the way HP has behaved in the past few months.

I will be reinstalling CM7 this weekend, unless I get off work early sometime this week. Tomorrow is pay day and I owe a donation to the CM team anyway. I will be asking for help with setting up the environment to look like and behave as close to webOS as I can possibly get it. I will definitely need help with ADW Launcher EX. It has been an enjoyable experience (not counting the last 4 months) and this is looking to be a sad ending to a good OS.

I don't like it - just download and use launcher pro (the free version) instead.

As for the rest, I think it's dead - because if it wasn't and they had made a decision to continue work on it, you'd make that announcement as soon as you'd knew to communicate to partners and to staff that you were serious. I guess the delay is simply so the HR bods can be ready with their "it's not you, it's us" speeches for the staff...
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast