Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I don't like it - just download and use launcher pro (the free version) instead.

As for the rest, I think it's dead - because if it wasn't and they had made a decision to continue work on it, you'd make that announcement as soon as you'd knew to communicate to partners and to staff that you were serious. I guess the delay is simply so the HR bods can be ready with their "it's not you, it's us" speeches for the staff...
    ADW Launcher EX works better for me than Launcher Pro. I used it for a while (after Zeam died) and it was ok, but once I used ADW I did not go back. The problem with CM7 is that it gets confused if EX is installed, since it runs the free version of ADW. I think there is a way to replace the free version with EX before installing CM7.

I think you are right about them delaying the decision. This is just too sad.
    I am French, and have read the interview on the Figaro site. She does say HP needs another OS, and I would understand this as we need a non-windows OS to grab some market share. Maybe they are delaying to complete a transaction!

Also, what would prevent them from launching the same tablet with webOS as well as with Windows? Asus is doing it with their device boasting both Windows and Android...

They could sell nd have a usage agreement with the new owner with reduced licensing prices? Keep in mind that HP is currently developing other devices than tablets with webOS.

Let's wait or an official statement before dropping any hope.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    There are opposing views also. Microsoft is betting their company on this shift to Windows 8 - I think there is room for them to get into the tablet market - there is no clear number 2 in that space. Android is a mess there - but ICS may fix that.

Frankly proclaimations like these are fun but useless... very low track record of successful predictions.
    I am French, and have read the interview on the Figaro site. She does say HP needs another OS, and I would understand this as we need a non-windows OS to grab some market share. Maybe they are delaying to complete a transaction!
    Thanks. Hummm... yes, this is one point that was escaping from me... :roll:

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    It's more like two weeks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    "Another operating Systems"? WP? Blargh! IPaqs again...

Best Regards...
    Why again? IPaq is still being made as of today.
    i really think that MSFT should purchase webos (or HP should "shell" webos UI onto w8 tablets) and use that as their tablet and mobile OS. This is the only hope for webos and MSFT. W8 sucks and UI is ugly and HP isn't gonna do **** with webos

That being said, checkout CM7 for your TP. I stay mainly booted on the android side. The android UI is sucky but you get used to it after a while. I had citrix on it at work checking my email as I traveled from meeting to meeting and had many "wow" comments!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Why again? IPaq is still being made as of today.
    Not again to you or HP... again to me? Noooooooooooooooo...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    If hp goes android then ms will sue them like all other manufacturers and hp would be licensing 2 os's , at least they own webos. Then again if they really wanted or expected any success with webos they should have released a damn eprint app for their freaking printers(that will supposedly be running webos) when they released it for every other mobile os. Hp didnt buy webos from palm... They killed it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    WebOS 3.11 is on my HP DM1-4010us 11.6 inch screen AMD 450 processor Tablet. The tablet was produced before the debacle and there might not be any upgrades of OS. The wwebOS dual boots with Windows 7 and its main advantage is a quick boot for web surfing with room for four favorite sites, stock following Skype, quick notes, weatheer. No sign of much else yet. Why not dual boot machines?
    its wierd how android tablets haven't taken off either I just don't get it. I have my TP running CM7 android and playing cut the rope, where's my water, I have citrix open, etc, etc - this thing totally catches the attention of my ipad buddy in the next cubicle - essentially I can do exactly the same crap he does. And it only cost $149

Why the hell then is the ipad so popular? I honestly don't get why the galaxy tablet wouldn't take off (price?). I think it's become like a pair of designer jeans - a no-name pair is just as good but ppl want the status.

I see everyone at work now getting the iphone 4s even though my samsung galaxy S epic (first gen) does everything they do including something just like siri (vlingo).

I think the phone/tablet arena is become dominated by fashion-center cult behavior where everyone is a copycat even though there are good products from other manufacturers.
    Vistaus and ohiomoto like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    WebOS 3.11 is on my HP DM1-4010us 11.6 inch screen AMD 450 processor Tablet. The tablet was produced before the debacle and there might not be any upgrades of OS. The wwebOS dual boots with Windows 7 and its main advantage is a quick boot for web surfing with room for four favorite sites, stock following Skype, quick notes, weatheer. No sign of much else yet. Why not dual boot machines?
    Hmm.

1. The HP DM1-4010us isn't a tablet. It's a 3.5lb laptop: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/pr...D992UA%2523ABA

2. Quickweb isn't webOS. This is Quickweb: http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/quickweb.pdf

3. There is no webOS 3.11.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    its wierd how android tablets haven't taken off either I just don't get it. I have my TP running CM7 android and playing cut the rope, where's my water, I have citrix open, etc, etc - this thing totally catches the attention of my ipad buddy in the next cubicle - essentially I can do exactly the same crap he does. And it only cost $149

Why the hell then is the ipad so popular? I honestly don't get why the galaxy tablet wouldn't take off (price?). I think it's become like a pair of designer jeans - a no-name pair is just as good but ppl want the status.

I see everyone at work now getting the iphone 4s even though my samsung galaxy S epic (first gen) does everything they do including something just like siri (vlingo).

I think the phone/tablet arena is become dominated by fashion-center cult behavior where everyone is a copycat even though there are good products from other manufacturers.
    If you are into music making and processing as I am then there is only one choice of tablet.

Android just doesn't cut it in the low-level driver stuff. ICS might but I'm not holding out much hope.

Even at the price tag Apple charge it is a lot of functionality (for me) given most of my iPod Touch apps also run in tablet form (albeit scaled, in some cases).

TouchAble, iMS-20, GarageBand, iElectribe, etc, etc, etc. Quality stuff that needs the iThing's user base in order to make them economically viable to develop.

It isn't a status thing for me (my iThings don't leave the house and if I tried to impress my family with stuff they would laugh a lot), it's about functionality.

As a clarification, I like my TouchPad whether it is running webOS or CM7 but it's light years behind the iThings for getting stuff done ... For me, anyway.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    If you are into music making and processing as I am then there is only one choice of tablet.
    TouchPad was headed in that direction, there was an announcement that a studio music app would come in the fall (Kerris has musical interests) but of course Leo nixed all development in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    TouchPad was headed in that direction, there was an announcement that a studio music app would come in the fall (Kerris has musical interests) but of course Leo nixed all development in August.
    True and if HP had put webOS on something like a Galaxy Nexus it would have garnered some interest outside of the webOS community. The fact is that none of the current mobile platforms are perfect and webOS could have been relevant if it had hardware that more people want. I think webOS could have easily been a solid number 3 in today's market right now if HP had stuck with the Touchpad and (more importantly) put out a new phone. (And I'm talking about HP, just think what Palm could have done if it had offered more compelling hardware.) The OS is good enough to compete as is. It just needed to gain momentum.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 12/02/2011 at 09:02 AM.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    What a shame, it's chicken and egg really, you need to user base to get the developer interest.

It's hard to see what is going to challenge iOS at the moment to be honest.

And a monopoly, however good (and admittedly expensive) the leader is, is not a good thing.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12