Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    No company seems to know how to take WebOS (arguably the best tablet OS in existence) and make it viable. The only people I have seen who have any true idea of the power and potential of WebOS are the people here in the forums. Everyone here is passionate about the OS and bringing it to its full potential.

How many of us do you think would it would take to pool together and buy WebOS from HP? I bet that together we could make WebOS a tablet-space powerhouse.
    U.S. Robotics PalmPilot 1000 --> U.S. Robotics PalmPilot Professional --> Palm III --> m505 --> Palm IIIc --> Tungsten T3 --> Samsung SCH-i760 (Windows Mobile) --> Motorola Droid (Android) --> now back to Palm with the Touchpad
    Upon what Tablets exactly?

'Hundred$ of Million$'.

400,000-ish 'members'?

Dunno!

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Supposing you could pool together enough to purchase webOS, and that's not likely, but if you could, that's just the tip of the iceberg in costs you would be facing. You can count on many billions of dollars after the purchase to get to the first hardware on the market with webOS on it.

Our only hope is that a Homebrew friendly company takes up the task and wants to spend the billions its going to take.

Just my 2 cents.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I don't know which company should buy webOS. Lots of threads discuss this topic, and yet everything seems goes to patents talk. IMO, seems patent now become more important then the OS itself
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I don't know which company should buy webOS. Lots of threads discuss this topic, and yet everything seems goes to patents talk. IMO, seems patent now become more important then the OS itself
    Its about keeping someone from doing something, isn't it. Sad but true.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    no one is going to buy it. HP is stuck with it and will use it for printers and computers for the next few years.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Assuming 500,000 members contributing, and WebOS worth 315 mil. ( HP Internally Values webOS At $315 Million | News |webOSroundup )
    you do the math - $630 a peice Just for WebOS - as jdod pointed out - that's just the starting poing - you might be able to ignore developing cost, assuming HP Through in the TP, THe TPgo, the Pre3 and all other products. Don't think that's likely.

Then we need to pay employees ETC.

Not to mention Marketing ...

Not that I wouldn't be interested, but you would have to come up wit a much larger pool of stock holders.

Given HP's F*** *p with what they did to palm, and palm's problems before HP brought them. Don't see too many lining up for that IPO
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Supposing you could pool together enough to purchase webOS, and that's not likely, but if you could, that's just the tip of the iceberg in costs you would be facing. You can count on many billions of dollars after the purchase to get to the first hardware on the market with webOS on it.
    Not really. If the community bought it, we could just port it for existing Android tablets, like how CM is porting Android for the Touchpad.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

How to build your own Smartphone and MAKE MILLIONS!*

(*millions are by no means assured, unless you read that to mean ‘millions of dollars of debt’)

There are many, many models of Android smartphone on the market today. It seems like everyone (unless you're Apple or Nokia) is getting in on the Smartphone game. Clearly, there's money to be made, but first of all, you need to make a phone to sell.

Sounds really hard, doesn't it? I mean, technology is so confusing... but not to worry. Just follow this simple ten step guide, and you'll be on the path to riches in no time at all!

1) Phone design Step One: The Physical Phone.
    With hundreds of phones out there, making yours stand out is paramount. Work on physical designs that allow your marketing materials to use words like "thinner", "extra robust", "ergonomic" and "world leading". Remember to remain elusive if ever challenged on what those terms actually mean. Pay no heed to considerations like whether it would fit into a pocket without breaking, or indeed into anything closely resembling a human hand. Remember: The ideal smartphone would be mere nanometres thin and thus capable of slicing through any fingers it came into contact with, but that wouldn't stop it from selling like hotcakes.

2) Phone Design Step Two: Colour.
    Smartphones have (by and large) been rather like Model T Fords. You can have any colour you like, as long as it's black. Just look at the trouble Apple had making a smartphone in white. Boldly declare your market leadership by designing a phone in any one (or several) of the following colours, preferably in thinning stripes:
    Puce. Bright Magenta.. #FFF372. Mauve. Beige. "Autumn Mist".

3) Phone Design Step Three: Materials.
    Plastic is played out. Metals such as aluminium and titanium are likewise well staked out. So why not use an unconventional material (such as concrete, tissue paper or a back made entirely of thumb tacks, pins out for extra tactility) and then make up a metallic sounding name for it? After all, who wouldn't want a phone made out of pure Palmeranium-323?

4) Software Design Step One: Get an OS.
    Get a bunch of your buddies together to pool enough to purchase webOS, and that's not so hard, considering HP will probably just give it to you for what you can scrounge up between your couch cushions. Just keep in mind that by the time you come to market, Google will have released three revisions of Android anyway, putting you badly behind. The vast majority of consumers will never update their phone operating system, and the Android power users will have rooted the phone prior to actually taking the shrink wrap off.

6) Software Design Step Two: Additional Software.
    This is a must, on several levels. For a start, if you just ship webOS as is, the unkind and obviously unfair product reviewers will use the word "vanilla" to describe it. Nobody really likes vanilla. It's like chocolate's spotty and somewhat oddly smelling cousin.

Actually having applications that work is an optional bonus (you can always state that updates are "forthcoming" without ever releasing any), but remember to work the word "social" into your software package descriptions somewhere.

7) Software Design Step Three: Outsourcing Efficiency.
    Don't wonder too hard about where step 5 went. Modern outsourced-to-Chinese-sweatshop production methods mean many steps -- such as ensuring that batteries don't explode -- can be easily skipped.

8) Marketing Step One: Choosing A Funky Name.
    Clearly, this should be your company name followed by something that sounds powerful, and then a single elusive letter. The letter doesn't mean anything, but without it, no phone can be truly said to be complete. With so many phones out there, many of the best names are already taken, but careful research indicates the following powerful terms are still available:
    Thrust, Forebode, Dysentry, Convulsion, Pumpin', Intoxicating, Kerry Packer, Cogent, Ardent, Otter.

9) Marketing Step Two: Tablet Time!
    Every good Mobile strategy demands that you have some kind of accompanying Tablet strategy. It doesn’t seem to matter if the tablet is any good, works properly or even actually exists; you’ve at least got to say you’re planning one. Taking your existing product name and adding “Tab” to it is the standard, so why not opt for other soft drinks and instead say you're planning to release the insertyourvendornamehere Otter X Sprite?

(note: Point 9 has been repeated here to remind you that getting a proper translation of your phone instructions is an unnecessary expense. Translating Chinese characters is easy via Google, or at least you can safely rest thinking that you bite the wax tadpole heard that somewhere. Probably on the Internet.)

9) Marketing Step Three: Vendor Exclusivity
    Unless you want your phone to grace the K-Mart $20 bargain bin, you're going to want to hook up with a phone company to distribute your phone. This has many advantages, not the least of which being that they'll freely infest your phone with their own horrid applications, most of which can never be removed or work properly.

Within Australia, you've got three choices: The telco everybody hates, the other telco that everybody hates, and that third one (that everybody hates). Customers will complain about exclusivity, but remember: You're not here for the customers. You're here for the money.

10) Time to go to market!
    But before you do, take a brief moment to weep softly into your cornflakes when you realise that nobody is ever going to line up to buy your phone they way they do for iPhones, even if they're only faintly different to the model that they released last year.

(based on this post)
    How to build your own Android Smartphone and MAKE MILLIONS!*
    Casion, marcedhk, panel and 1 others like this.
    why is it considered the best tablet os? it seems relatively laggy. i'd think ice cream sandwich would be the best tablet os. Oh also it runs much slower than iOS. touchpads have the same specs as a ipad2 and benchmarks so much lower. must be the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    10) Time to go to market!
    But before you do, take a brief moment to weep softly into your cornflakes when you realise that nobody is ever going to line up to buy your phone they way they do for iPhones, even if they're only faintly different to the model that they released last year.

(based on this post)
    How to build your own Android Smartphone and MAKE MILLIONS!*
    meh, iphone doesn't sell as well as all the other phones combined. android outsells ios. phone of the year isn't iphone. it's galaxy s2 or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    3) Phone Design Step Three: Materials.
    Plastic is played out. Metals such as aluminium and titanium are likewise well staked out. So why not use an unconventional material (such as concrete, tissue paper or a back made entirely of thumb tacks, pins out for extra tactility) and then make up a metallic sounding name for it? After all, who wouldn't want a phone made out of pure Palmeranium-323?
    I want a phone made out of adamantium or unobtainium.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    why is it considered the best tablet os? it seems relatively laggy. i'd think ice cream sandwich would be the best tablet os. Oh also it runs much slower than iOS. touchpads have the same specs as a ipad2 and benchmarks so much lower. must be the software.
    Not entirely. The iPad 2's 3D hardware blows the crap out of most anything else mobile. I doubt nVidia would admit it, but whatever it is that the iPad 2 is running for 3D smokes the Tegra 2.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Not entirely. The iPad 2's 3D hardware blows the crap out of most anything else mobile. I doubt nVidia would admit it, but whatever it is that the iPad 2 is running for 3D smokes the Tegra 2.
    He's right; it IS the software (mostly). iOS is more optimized for its hardware as opposed to web OS, which sits on hardware w/ 2x the RAM and a CPU thats 200MHz faster than the iPad 2. Fully leveraging the GPU throughout the UI and apps, and the use of CSS transforms result in a night and day difference. Of course, its difficult to directly compare different CPU/ GPU architectures.

What Palm needed was an egotistic, autocratic d0uche at the helm; a foaming-at-the-mouth sociopath hell bent on winning at any and all costs. Sadly (or fortunately), those types aren't born often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Not really. If the community bought it, we could just port it for existing Android tablets, like how CM is porting Android for the Touchpad.
    I think that would be a complete waste of money. People aren't going to drop Android and its tons of apps just to get a slicker user experience that they can't do much with because of the lack of Apps.

THe best way to spend $300 million in an attempt to save webOS is to compile a list of the top 1000 iOS and Android Apps and pay the developers to create webOS versions of those apps. $300 million gives an average budget of $300K per app, which should certainly be sufficient - a lot of the apps could probably be done for a fraction of that budget. This would accomplish several key things:

1) Make webOS more desirable to consumers. If they are currently willing to spend $250 on a 10 inch tablet on a dying platform with few apps, they would quite possibly be willing to spend at least $350 on a resurrected platform with all the apps they really want, though not everything that's out there.

2) The new perceived value of the platform and resulting higher sales price would allow HP to sell the hardware at a modest profit, possibly equal to or better than the profit they make on their PC hardware.

3) The abundance of apps available would allow HP to make money off the sales in their App store, and the abundance of touchpads out there in consumer's hands combined with the renewed commitment of HP to contniue supporting webOS would attract developers to develop and release new apps for webOS.

Of course this whole discussion is purely academic, as why would any of us give $600 to HP so they can make money off webOS? As much as we love it and want it to stick around, I don't think more than a handful love it enough to do that. But, if people were willing to give $60, and we were to go fot the top 100 apps instead of the top 1000, maybe that would still be workable? Coud we actually save webOS for just $30 million?
    Nice thoughts marcedhk, but isn't that exactly what the whole Hot Apps program was all about? That brought in a couple of new players, but not many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Nice thoughts marcedhk, but isn't that exactly what the whole Hot Apps program was all about? That brought in a couple of new players, but not many.
    No, not really. The Hot Apps program had the developers competing for a few prizes - 2 prizes of $100,000, 20 prizes of $10,000, and 200 prizes of $1000, and the awards were based on number of downloads/top sales.

What I'm proposing is paying them outright for their work - the community decides what apps are most needed, and the developers are contracted to port them, so there is no question about whether it will be worth their effort. The money they earn from sales in the case of the paid apps will be extra gravy for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    I'd love to see THAT business plan:

Pay the full cost of developing and maintains the operating system
    Take a loss on the hardware
    Pay developers big bucks to port their apps

is there a part of the plan where profit is made or is this simply a big pit to dump money into?
    Quick, name one big-name electronics brand bound for the ****ter that was saved by its community buying the assets/intellectual property, and then make it successful.

I've seen these efforts talked about online since I got on the Internet nearly 20 years ago, and not one has ever succeeded. And we're talking dozens of attempts here. It just doesn't happen, and it won't happen unless someone's got one hell of a rich investor lined up along with enough operating capital to see it through a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    meh, iphone doesn't sell as well as all the other phones combined. android outsells ios. phone of the year isn't iphone. it's galaxy s2 or something like that.
    Yeah but the iPhone is one device VS the thousands of Android phones. When put in that perspective iOS kicks Android to the curve. (not being biased, just telling it like it is)
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    I'd love to see THAT business plan:
    First of all, this is NOT a business plan. A business plan is what Meg and her team has been trying to put together for the past 8 weeks, seemingly without success. If you want business advice from me on this issue, I'd tell you to form a company to do an Android App Player for webOS and access to the Android Market and charge money for it. This is about SAVING webOS, which to me means one of two things:

1) Getting HP or a competent purchaser to continue to support, develop and market webOS and its devices

OR

2) Continue and improve support for webOS among developers, the homebrew community and consumers so that we device owners can actually get a good couple years of quality usage out of the devices before they go the way of all flesh, with patches that address our annoyances and a great selection of apps that suit our needs.

As the weeks go by number 1 seems less and less likely. But number 2 remains a possibility, and one that we as a community could embrace. We don't need to sit around like beggars waiting for a handout from HP, we could get together and work to determine our own fate - if we're willing to make some reasonable sacrifices of our time and cash. $600 is obviously waay to much, but why don't we take a look at what would be possible with a $100 or a $50 personal investment?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast