Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Mikey47
  • 2 Post By Mikey47
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By SmartFah
  1.    #1  
    Ok.....I've been seeing a turn in consumer purchasing in my neck of the woods (S. Texas). While shopping this week at my local stores..BestBuy, Walmart, Sprint, yeah got suckered in by da wifey...i noticed that alot of peolpe were complaing about cell phones. There arguments were that just 2monthsa ago they had the bomb phone.....now its old news because pf the new ones. Many people said why dont they spend more tome making the ones they already have better woth updates. It seems that cell phones are going backwards and moving away from optimizing their product. I evenyou seen a few people downgrade phones because they were tired of trying to keep up with the latest stuff. I went looking into the Droid Razor and the rep at the store said the Droid 4 was on the way.....it has a keyboard.....whaaa....already!!!! So i thought....... If another cell manufacturer could duplicate the Apple mantra of a few solid products and beautiful optimization. Maybe a cool new phone every two years or so. Alot of people would be happy. HP had that chance and its passing them by at this very moment. There product to me wasnt that bad....just a tad cheap and behind on performance. But they (WebOS) are young and growing....steady growth at that until some ***** decided to put the ax to it and ruined any chance of it surving. Just my opinion......but i too am not intoo the new grand phone every 3-4 months
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    Many people said why dont they spend more tome making the ones they already have better woth updates.
    I think they don't do that because cell phone companies make money selling the actual handset, not merely updating old ones. So its not in their interest to cater to people that merely want to keep using their old phone and really don't want to buy a phone. Not to mention most handset makers do not control the updating of the software, that's Google, Palm, Microsoft or Apple's job. And of those only apple actually makes the handset.

    As a sidenote HP specifically chose not to update old Pre minus's so i wouldn't get my hopes up.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    But they (WebOS) are young and growing....steady growth at that until some of ***** decided to put the ax to it and ruined any chance of it surving.
    If you think that was "steady growth" you are looking at the growth chart upside down. Since the release of the Pre Plus on AT&T and VZW there has been no growth for webOS. The only blip on that score is TouchPad fire sale.

    As for new devices every month, I don't see the problem. There is only a problem if you feel like you always have to have the latest and greatest device. All devices today are still going to be satisfactory over the course of a carrier's contract.
    SnotBoogie and xandros9 like this.
  4. #4  
    I think what op is trying to say (and from my personal impression at android central) is that people are beginning to get tired of 'too many phones too soon'. <= not a problem for webos though.

    When we look at apple, they release only one phone per year, and in the course of that year their software keeps getting optimised and improved. Their prices are stable all year until the new model comes out next year. One reason people buy iphones with confidence is that they know their $200-300 'investment' will not be overshadowed and considered old news 6-10 months from now.

    With android you are advertised some cool 'super-awesome' device for $200-300 but a month later that same device is 'meh' because there's another new device out or about to come out, and in 4-6 months its a 'turd' that holds no value, but you are stuck on a two year contract.

    yes the tech moves fast and competition is a good thing, but it is no good when the same company you just buy a product from makes it nearly obsolete in just a few months. $300 is $300 regardless of whether you get it from selling a 2,6, or 10 months old phone.

    I agree that right now android is fragmented and some companies need to increase the length of their cycles for new phones and give better support for the released products instead.

    additionally, I see absolutely no point in releasing 'mid-level' models at all' when last year's models can fill that market easily.
    Last edited by cheburashka; 11/27/2011 at 02:14 PM.
  5. #5  
    Guess you guys have been living in a cave for the last decade or so. Tech has been moving this fast for a long time. And you definition of "obsolete" is really questionable. So you are saying if a manufacturer only came out with a new phone once a year that would make your device obsolesce more slowly? No, that would just mean there would be bigger leaps in technology between phones.

    What having this many new phones coming out means is that people who are just starting out will have the ability to buy technologically recent phone rather than one that came out 9 months ago. Let's use apple as an example. The 4s came out two months ago, in 6 months new users will have to decide do they get the 4s that they will need to keep for 22 months (which means they would miss the 5 and 6 - my names obviously) and would be upgrading to the 7.

    Computers, phones, tvs, laptops, etc. are always going to have new devices on the horizon. I guess I just don't see the problem. Again, just because new phones come out does not make your's obsolesce any faster. Certainly you can be jealous, but if you have to keep up with everyone else, then that is nobody's fault but your own. You say "people are getting tired of phones coming out so fast" - I disagree. I think the only people who feel that way are those bleeding / leading edge folks. The average smartphone users will say "what is the best phone in my price range that is available now". They will buy it and be back asking the same question when their contract is up.

    The only problem is could possibly see for this is for manufacturers. Coming out with newer phones in such rapid succession will cause their "older" models to have less demand, but as long as they can make money with this process is think they will continue.
    SnotBoogie and dignitary like this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I think they don't do that because cell phone companies make money selling the actual handset, not merely updating old ones. So its not in their interest to cater to people that merely want to keep using their old phone and really don't want to buy a phone. Not to mention most handset makers do not control the updating of the software, that's Google, Palm, Microsoft or Apple's job. And of those only apple actually makes the handset.

    As a sidenote HP specifically chose not to update old Pre minus's so i wouldn't get my hopes up.
    The phones are heavily subsidized by carriers. When you say "Cell phone companies" are you talking manufacturers or carriers? Carriers are not making much on sales - but they lock you into longer contracts which makes them happy.

    Additionally the carriers are often bottlenecks for phone updates - requiring extensive tests to validate that the upgrades do not break functions and networks. The cost to the manufacturer for requalification of the phone is not easy to recoup - why spend money on something you already sold... <sigh>
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #7  
    "too many new phones" is a myth, the average consumer picks a price plan, then the phone on it and then thinks about the issue again in two years.

    Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    SnotBoogie likes this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    people are beginning to get tired of 'too many phones too soon'. <= not a problem for webos though.
    Exactly, not only not a problem with WebOS it was never an issue. In fact if this is such a strength NOT to have a new phone every month, And WebOS in fact did not have new phone every month, It stands to reason that they accomplished what the original poster wanted and thus should have sold well. That in fact was not the case however. I believe partly because only people trying to have the latest thing all the time are upset when a new phone comes in 3 months. And they are a tiny part of the market. Again it does not help motorola to not sell phones. That is 1000% illogical. They make no money by not making phones and Motorola has no say in when android get's updated. What the OP wants is not gonna happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    When we look at apple, they release only one phone per year, and in the course of that year their software keeps getting optimised and improved. Their prices are stable all year until the new model comes out next year. One reason people buy iphones with confidence is that they know their $200-300 'investment' will not be overshadowed and considered old news 6-10 months from now.
    You're ignoring the fact that Apple controls the software. All the companies making android phones have no say in it. So none of them can do "keep optimizing and improving the software." Google does that. Microsoft does that. Not Samsung, or LG or Nokia or HTC, etc.

    But, Iphones are not successful merely because there's no new phone in 6 -10 months. It has a great ecosystem built on the strength of the massively successful ipod. It has software for sync, more features then most, better camera, more storage, Apple made apps with more features then similar apps on other platforms, endless amounts of 3rd party software, better hardware design, attractive designs, slicker cooler commercials, solid feel, without all that stuff i listed the phones doesn't sell. You remove those things and you can release your one phone year and nobody buys it. Iphones sell in spite of only having 1 phone a year.

    And let's be clear it's not like there is an Evo then an Evo 2 or a Galaxy S then a Galaxy S 2 in 6 months. Somebody mentioned a razor and then a Droid 4. Those are different lines of phones from the same maker. They are not the same phone 6 months later so really most companies do exactly what the OP is asking. They are different lines of phones, one a slab one a horizontal slider. If you equate those as the same then you'd be arguing that companies should only release one phone a year period. Well that doesn't make them enough money and is thus unrealistic.

    And here's the other thing. I don't think people are really tired of having options. They buy a phone and use it. For all it's failings people still by blackberries and there's a new blackberry every couple months. Because new people need phones. It's only the people searching for validation through having some latest piece of consumer electronics with buyers remorse that is constantly worrying about the next big thing. There will always be something new on the horizon. If the future prevents you from buying something or give you remorse you made a poor and uninformed decision in the first place. That person should have waited, done the research, found out what was coming and they only have themselves to blame.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    With android you are advertised some cool 'super-awesome' device for $200-300 but a month later that same device is 'meh' because there's another new device out or about to come out, and in 4-6 months its a 'turd' that holds no value, but you are stuck on a two year contract.
    Where are these "android advertisements?" I see a Samsung Commercial. And they sell a Galaxy S then a year later it's an S 2. What more do people want. You've described nothing but someone making a bad decision and whining about it. Sorry i got no sympathy. Inform yourself. It's not, for example Samsung's fault because you bought a Galaxy S2 and Motorola releases a Razor and now you're sad. Google is your friend as they say. You should have waited. You're your meh in 4 months it's you're fault.

    Don't blame a phone company for making a phone. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. If you don't want a phone every 6 months wait till what you can be happy with comes out. Buy it and be happy. Otherwise it's the buyers fault. This is just people with buyers remorse shifting blame for their poor purchasing decisions.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    additionally, I see absolutely no point in releasing 'mid-level' models at all' when last year's models can fill that market easily.
    Sorry but this just flat out ignores the purpose of consumer electronics companies. It's to sell products for a profit. The point of releasing new models is to sell them. Not a single person is being forced to buy a phone. people that buy a new phone are buying it cause they need a phone.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    The phones are heavily subsidized by carriers. When you say "Cell phone companies" are you talking manufacturers or carriers? Carriers are not making much on sales - but they lock you into longer contracts which makes them happy.

    Additionally the carriers are often bottlenecks for phone updates - requiring extensive tests to validate that the upgrades do not break functions and networks. The cost to the manufacturer for requalification of the phone is not easy to recoup - why spend money on something you already sold... <sigh>
    I'm NOT talking about carriers. I'm talking about companies that actually make cell phones, Samsung, LG, Nokia, HTC etc. Carriers are service providers, they don't make phones.

    LG makes money selling the actual handset. They don't make any money by not selling more phones and again the OP says essentially, "why don't they just update the software." LG can't update Android.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  10. #10  
    It does suck when you purchase a new piece of technology & it's advertised as the "new hotness", then by the time you get home & turn on the TV you see a new model being advertised. But that's how It is with tech, it moves fast.

    [YT]v=eZAAZ7iXN-o[/YT]
    xandros9 likes this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    There arguments were that just 2monthsa ago they had the bomb phone.....now its old news because pf the new ones.
    People have had the same complaint about computers for years. It was a standing joke that by the time you got a new computer home and set it up, it was outdated.

    Technology evolves. It is going to get better and better with each iteration. Now I do think that phones should work like cars, each manufacturer has a set of models and puts out the new versions toward the end of each year. That way at least you won't be outdated for a year but that is never going to happen.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Not to mention most handset makers do not control the updating of the software, that's Google, Palm, Microsoft or Apple's job. And of those only apple actually makes the handset.
    Not quite true. With Android Google puts out the new releases, then each of the manufacturers has to take that code and make it work with their hardware. So Samsung controls which of their phones gets the new OS upgrade, HTC controls theirs, etc.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Not quite true. With Android Google puts out the new releases, then each of the manufacturers has to take that code and make it work with their hardware. So Samsung controls which of their phones gets the new OS upgrade, HTC controls theirs, etc.
    it's very true. the os upgrade does not exist w/o google. That's vastly different then an old phone not getting an OS upgrade or even a carrier deciding not to support it.

    And again, how does updating a phone for they already sold you make them the same profit as selling a brand new phone? I'm waiting for anyone to offer how updating a phone for free makes the phone company any money. If it doesn't they aren't going to do it.

    Bottom line is it doesn't make any money. People can live in a naive fantasy world where for profit companies don't try to make a profit but all this is nothing more then crying and whining to me. Nobody is making anyone buy a phone. If you get home and like someone above said there's a commercial advertising a new model It's you're for fault for being uninformed when you were at the store and even then you can take the phone you just bought back so if you don't you're a fool. I'm not cutting a fool any slack. Whaaa! I have too many choices I can't decide! This is a fictitious phone geek problem. Not a regular people problem.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 11/28/2011 at 04:40 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  14. #14  
    HP already missed the boat, its been running after it and finally gave up :/

Posting Permissions